Ralph Watzke

Can anyone identify this 1930's era transit bus?

...together with a huge collection of old trucks.

This obviously was a transit bus, as can be seen from the presence of a roller sign. Also I recall it having a center exit door (not visible on this view).

Does anyone have any idea of its history? What make and year? What city transit system was it part of?

This is a very interesting property for old vehicle, especially truck afficionados, as it contains nearly a hundred large and medium trucks, of the kind that are very seldom preserved. It is located on the north side of Yellowhead Highway 16 near Marshall, almost across from the large modern grain elevator facility.

859107_462636180458527_1610730435_o.jpg

Winnipeg colors - cream and orange? Might this have been one of the ten late-thirties Macks that Winnipeg sold to Moose Jaw in the fifties, and were their #1 to #10?

• Like 1

That looks like it's moved since I saw it last. If you think it's ex Winnipeg, why not post over there? I can only imagine some MTHA guys would know about it. 

Yup.  It's definitely moved since I last saw it.  rAhCUay.png

I did look it up once and figured out what it was but I have no idea how I managed to do it

• Haha 1

DSC00176.thumb.jpg.888ed3d7e1444097eafc4ebf9ff3484c.jpg
When looking at my image full size, it very much looks like the badge on the front says White. Took this shot on Friday, May 26th.

Edit: While looking at the pic... decided to Google "Fell Auction". Jackpot. 

http://www.fellauctions.com/oliverlisting.html

Coming up June 1 too. The listing includes a 1948 bus. I guess this could be it? Seems older than 1948. I have attached 2 pics from the auction site. 

DSC04177.JPG

DSC04178.JPG

• Like 2

I'd agree that it is most likely a White but definitely not 1948, probably more like 1938. Although it bears what looks like Winnipeg colors, I could not find a photo of any bus resembling this on the all-time Winnipeg fleet list published by the University of Manitoba.

M. Parsons' photo clearly shows "White" on the badge - that is what I had strongly suspected anyway. Do White bus sale lists exist anywhere for this period of circa 1938? Would anyone recognize the paint scheme seeing that it's unlikely to have been Winnipeg? But clearly 1948 was wrong in the auction description, 1938 sounds about right. Wonder what the fate of this bus was, if it got sold, if someone is restoring it?

Found out more about this bus from a FB group re: White and other fallen makers. This was one of 3 White buses with bodies by Bender that were originally with Arrow Bus Lines of Saskatchewan, and later got transferred to Western Canadian Greyhound in the forties. A very rare bus, although a lot of similar ones were produced for American bus systems back in the day. It appears that only one other Bender-bodied White bus seems to have survived in an American bus museum. Fleet and serial numbers seem to be known, but it's unclear which of the three this one is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The owner of the bus was BRUCE OLIVER, the auctioneer was LORNE FELL AUCTIONS.

Being tracked down! The below conversation is from the FB Group Mack, ACF, Aerocoach, Eagle, White, Brill and other fallen bus makers

• Brian Grams
    Brian Grams Are there any White delivery records available? I am looking for serial numbers of three 706-M sold to Arrow Coach in Saskatchewan (1-37, 2-38). One fleet number was 44. Buses went to Western Canadian Greyhound in 1941 as their fleet numbers 401/2/3.
    Frank N Karen Burval
    • Frank N Karen Burval give me some time Brian and let me see what I can find!
      Hide or report this
      Brian Grams
    • Brian Grams Thank you. One of these has been found in a farmer's field in Saskatchewan and appears to be quite complete.
      Frank N Karen Burval
    • Frank N Karen Burval is it the yellow one I've seen pictures of on several bus groups?
      Frank N Karen Burval
    • Frank N Karen Burval According to my notes, White built a total of 620 706Ms from 1935 to 1941. My guess is they were all Benders but I don't have any proof of that. I'm sorry but I don't have any info on who they were built for. If I come across that info I will surely share it.

Actually many American experts identified the bus as a White 706-M; from 1937 or 1938, with a body by Bender; hundreds of this and similar White buses were made  as they were very popular at the time in both American and Canadian bus lines. Very many photos of similar White buses are posted on the FB Group "Mack, ACF, Aerocoach, Eagle, White, Brill and other fallen bus makers", in fact more photos posted every week of this type of bus being used in USA settings. Lots and lots of photos exit, but hardly any surviving buses! In fact Brian Grams was able to identify this specific bus as one of three purchased  by Arrow Coach and  later sold to Western Canadian Greyhound.

• Like 1