Calgary Transit - North Crosstown BRT

Vancouver

Just now, Transit Fan said:

Do we know where the University stations are going? I'm guessing it's just the existing WB 32 Ave @ 31 St and the EB 32 Ave @ 33 St stops?

Currently they're building one on 31 street parallel to 32 avenue, and they're digging up the road at the Children's Hospital

1 minute ago, Transit Fan said:

Ooh, didn't think they'd end up putting the stations there! Is it there for both directions?

At the moment, no, they haven't started the Children's construction yet, but the station on 31 street is only for Brentwood bound buses so far. It appears like they might put one on 32 avenue for Saddletowne-bound buses, and I think with the University City construction, they might build stations at 39 street and 32 avenue

On 7/11/2017 at 9:51 PM, Transit Fan said:

Ooh, didn't think they'd end up putting the stations there! Is it there for both directions?

After further investigation (specifically, riding the 91), at the moment, the only station under construction is 31 street parallel to 32 avenue. So far they've built the raised sidewalk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2017 at 10:16 PM, Blake M said:

After further investigation (specifically, riding the 91), at the moment, the only station under construction is 31 street parallel to 32 avenue. So far they've built the raised sidewalk.

And it comes with full-length bumpy edges! Nice.

• 4 months later...

Yup, and from what I've seen on my rides on the 23 northbound, the "stations" if you can call them that now are not much more than large, tall sidewalks with the yellow raised bump sidewalks. None of them on 52nd and Falconridge have shelters of any sort...At least yet.  I suspect the push was to get the concrete in during the non-frozen times of the year, and then come back to build the shelters, install heaters and so forth.

I'm somewhat disappointed that these things are still going to be "lite" BRT's.  No off-board fare payment, no all-door boarding, and not really any sort of dedicated ROW for this route either.  It does however have a good frequency, though time will tell with such a large route whether it will stay that way or not.  I for one am looking forward to riding it on a regular basis as the current commute home does lead to a fair bit of variance as to how long it will take for the 23 to show up at Marlborough.  Transferring at Rundle and getting home faster will be a bonus.

Jon

• Like 3

From their last update before the winter shutdown:

We expect the materials for the BRT stations will be arriving in February, and it should take about two weeks to install each shelter. When we built some of the BRT platforms it was necessary to remove existing transit shelters, and because crews will be out in a few months installing the new shelters we do not want damage the new concrete at these stations by installing a temporary shelter.

They're currently saying that peak service will be 10 minutes. I'm more curious what the off-peak service will be like.

Suppose it's off-peak or the weekend, will it really be much faster to take the BRT from say University to Rundle or Saddletowne (or vice versa) versus the existing method of taking the Red line downtown and jumping over to the Blue line. The BRT would probably be a bit faster if you consider actual time spent on the bus/train but then you have to factor in the waiting time depending on the frequency. The LRT is always every 10-15 minutes. Based off existing evening/weekend frequency we see on popular routes like the 1 and 301, I would guess that off-peak frequency for the BRT will be anywhere from 20-30 minutes.

58 minutes ago, Transit Fan said:

From their last update before the winter shutdown:

They're currently saying that peak service will be 10 minutes. I'm more curious what the off-peak service will be like.

Suppose it's off-peak or the weekend, will it really be much faster to take the BRT from say University to Rundle or Saddletowne (or vice versa) versus the existing method of taking the Red line downtown and jumping over to the Blue line. The BRT would probably be a bit faster if you consider actual time spent on the bus/train but then you have to factor in the waiting time depending on the frequency. The LRT is always every 10-15 minutes. Based off existing evening/weekend frequency we see on popular routes like the 1 and 301, I would guess that off-peak frequency for the BRT will be anywhere from 20-30 minutes.

Or maybe we'll get something like a midday 301 frequency and it will be every 14 minutes ?

I'm hoping that Calgary Transit doesn't forget that the new BRT routes are not just a bypass of downtown between quadrants of the city. They are also access to areas that currently don't have LRT, i.e. the hospitals, 16 ave, 52 st (for the North BRT), Mount Royal, Rockyview, Odgen, Douglasdale, Southland, Woodbine, etc (South and SW BRT)

• Like 1