Dumb Questions

Old Look

Have you considered setting up a "Dumb Questions" folder? Some place where those of us who are not as knowledgable as many of the contributors to this Board can safely ask questions that may have obvious answers in the opinion of others? That way those of us who are at the "Transit for Dummies" stage can do some learning without wasting the time and patience of others. (We would of course need to rely on the generosity of some of those knowledgeable participants to supply answers to our questions <_<)

Worth pursuing?

Worth pursuing?

Perhaps it's worth a look at. Maybe not in the format you suggested.

The only thing I find that won't work, is if the person is just "lazy" and decides to ask the questions over and over, while being told the info is somewhere out there on the web. It's happened before, and I can see it happening again.

Maybe there could be a list of external websites that have information available to the newcomer of transit. One site that is always worth a mention to a beginner for everything TTC is Transit Toronto.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 'transit for dummies' thread, but I don't think that this will slove the problem of people posting 'dumb' questions as you call it. It would probably reduce the number of 'dumb' questions though.

I agree with not calling it a "dumb questions" forum. "Transit for Dummies" or "New to Transit?" are more appropriate names for a forum title. You could post stickies at the top of the forum leading newcomers to sites with the information they are looking for.

We have some who are easily offended out there, and it doesn't help someone out who is new by saying that their question is dumb.

• 2 years later...

One thing I tend to notice is the fact some new members create a thread for everything. It seemed to get better in the GTA section after we introduced a "Random Questions" topic, although it would probably do better to have that as a "sticky" topic. That thread was most useful for small questions that one post could solve the answer to (aka, how long does it take to get from A to B, or what does (thing) on (bigger thing) do/there for?). Perhaps it's an idea to create a topic along those lines for every fourm, and sticky it at the top?

Maybe not so much of a beginner's fourm, but a beginner's guide could be helpful. That could possibly have an FAQ section, as well has helpful tips for first-time posters on the forum? Although how many people would actually read and use the information in a guide, the same would apply to a fourm IMO.

One thing I tend to notice is the fact some new members create a thread for everything. It seemed to get better in the GTA section after we introduced a "Random Questions" topic, although it would probably do better to have that as a "sticky" topic. That thread was most useful for small questions that one post could solve the answer to (aka, how long does it take to get from A to B, or what does (thing) on (bigger thing) do/there for?). Perhaps it's an idea to create a topic along those lines for every fourm, and sticky it at the top?

Maybe not so much of a beginner's fourm, but a beginner's guide could be helpful. That could possibly have an FAQ section, as well has helpful tips for first-time posters on the forum? Although how many people would actually read and use the information in a guide, the same would apply to a fourm IMO.

If it becomes an issue that a topic was started with a question that was answered by the next post, adnin can always merge that thread into the respective general question and discussion thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, you're complaining... Look at the Ottawa thread!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...