Stoney Bus Garage

• 6 months later...

Project update - October 18, 2017

Construction is well underway on the new Stoney Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) Storage and Transit Facility in north-central Calgary. Construction is also taking place on three surrounding roadways.

This massive facility is quickly taking shape as the walls and roof are being constructed. Once the building shell is completed, work on the inside will continue throughout the winter months.

The new facility is located in the Stoney Industrial Area at 12620 – 15 Street N.E. and is anticipated to be completed by early 2019.

Some construction pictures have been added too.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TI/Pages/Transit-projects/Stoney-CNG-Transit-Bus-Garage.aspx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow. Naming rights for a transit garage? It's not like it's an arena or something. Hell, I'd understand naming rights to a C Train station, but a bus garage!?
Granted, it's only an expression of interest, so I guess if there's no interest, or if the interested parties aren't willing to pay enough to make it worthwhile then I guess no naming.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, School Bus 101 said:

Which diesel units are going to be housed in the new garage? 

7601-7702, all novas and the 50ish Highest numbered (i believe its the highest numbered) articulateds

1 hour ago, Nick B said:

Is there any kind of open house/Doors Open-type event planned for the new garage in the near future?

Nothing in forseeable future. There have been a couple staff only open houses but nothing public yet.

• Like 3

I’d be surprised if there’s any sort of open house for this (or any) bus garage in the foreseeable future. The reality is, outside of people that frequent boards like this, there wouldn’t be much appeal for the general public to go see a bus garage and shop - the CNG part is good to talk about, but in real life, it’s just a few extra gas pumps.  It’s just a bunch of buses parked in lines, a mechanic shop like most others, and an attached vanilla admin space. 

The open houses at OBMF get a few more people because the CTrain adds an extra wrinkle, but honestly aren’t all that well attended.  It’s mainly employees that bring their families.