STO: Strike Watch

Cre47

The STO drivers and mechanics union have been without a contract since December 31, 2014 and started various job actions lately, including wearing ugly bright yellow t-shirts and also showing the union name on their destination signs.

There was supposed to be negotiations talks between the STO and union this week but the union walked off the negociations since the second offer by the STO is worse than the first. There was mention about scheduling (deja vu from 2008-09 at OC). The union mentionned about lower wages although I find this hard to believe that part.

Right now, there is no date for any potential vote on strike action, but right now there isn't any mention of service disruption for the short term.

Anyways, this dispute is a gong show already

This is an interesting development as the CTCRO and STO have never gone on strike during their 45-year history.  Here are two articles from the STO website (in French only):

2016/09/07: La STO prête à négocier en vue du renouvellement de la convention collective avec ses chauffeurs et employés de l'Entretien

2016/09/09: La STO déplore le refus de négocier du syndicat uni du transport unité 591

On 9/11/2016 at 7:02 PM, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

All except those on probation! :P Not making it up.

That would explain why all but one operator was wearing the shirt. He still had it displayed in front of his dash with the phrase "Nos conditions de travail se dégradent" written in big black letters.

On 9/12/2016 at 7:32 PM, Transitfan39 said:

This is a very shocking news I'm hearing for the first time, but correct me if I'm wrong isn't the STO considered essential service? When I read the Ottawa Sun during the OC Transpo strike of 2008-09 I thought they mentioned that they weren't allowed to go on strike

I don't think OC Transpo or STO are considered essential services.

In Toronto, the TTC was made an essential service a few years back so they can't strike anymore, but I'm pretty sure it's just them.

1 hour ago, 1overcosc said:

I don't think OC Transpo or STO are considered essential services.

In Toronto, the TTC was made an essential service a few years back so they can't strike anymore, but I'm pretty sure it's just them.

Yeah I thought the STO was considered a essential service, I do remember the city wanted to make OC a essential service during the strike.... Also I do believe the STM is somewhat a essential service as they only went on strike once in my lifetime but they had the Metro run during rush hour only

• 2 weeks later...

The union is likely going to back the drivers, as they themselves distributed the shirts. Having spoken to a STO operator recently, the supervisors seem to act as the fashion police. The supervisors should only be so happy that the driver even showed up for work. I don't think the shirts are ugly per se, they catch attention and remind passengers that not everything is as rosy as it seems. Don't forget that operators are fighting for better conditions to better serve the public whereas management is looking to cut at all costs, including to the paying Customer. This is the same at every transit corporation.

• Like 2

From what I can tell from reading comments from others and from papers things don't look good. I'm not sure as to when the union has set a strike date or not, but I sense the STO will be on the picket line by either late October  or some time in November and I feel it'll be a long strike?

I don't think Gatneau  city consul is going to give in that easy. I'm not sure who'll win, but the only "true" losers will be the passengers as they'll lose transit services. Those that live in or close to  downtown (near the federal government buildings) and work in Ottawa can always take OC(route 8) though they may or may not need to walk as far(when getting of the bus) they'll still have access to some transit?Those living in Alymer or other parts of Gatneau further away or out of luck?

If the STO does strike prepair for hugh increase of traffic in the downtown  ottawa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Cre47 said:

Strike vote occurring today. Hey thanks for the notice for that one. Article is in French. http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1005237/possible-mandat-de-greve-a-la-sto

it appears there might be a repeat of what happened in 2008 with the Sto doing it this time!

Rough translation from Google

Bus drivers in the Ottawa Transit Corporation (STO) have voted overwhelmingly for strike mandate on Sunday.

Over 98% of voters voted in favor of a strike mandate, allowing the Amalgamated Transit Union in Ottawa strike with 72 hours notice. The warrant is valid for 60 days.

Bus drivers complain that their working conditions are deteriorating. The question of timetables area point that stumble, according to the union.

Union President, Felix Gendron is "proud" to have received this mandate. However Impossible whether a strike could be launched shortly by the members.

Near-unanimous vote sets stage for Gatineau bus strike

Syndicat uni du Transport could strike within 60 days with 72 hours of notice

Gatineau's public transit workers voted on Sunday with more than 98 per cent in favour of a strike.

The vote allows the union, Syndicat uni du Transport Local 591, to strike within 60 days if they give 72 hours of notice.

Deteriorating working conditions and scheduling are some of the issues the union is struggling with, it said. After the vote, union president Félix Gendron said he was proud of obtaining a strong mandate to put pressure on their employer, Société de transport de l'Outaouais, or STO.

Negotiations continue.

In 2008, an OC Transpo strike in Ottawa lasted for two months after the Canadian Industrial Relations Board ruled it would not force workers to return to work since transit wasn't deemed an essential service.

On Dec. 19, 20 and 21, the STO will try to determine whether it's an essential service in order to avoid workers walking off the job. Gatineau Mayor Maxime Pednaud-Jobin has said he believes it's indispensable.

The STO employs 485 drivers and 115 people who maintain the buses.