Sign in to follow this  
Orion VIII

I remember on the old board that our avatars were 150x150, and in my avatars, sometimes it is hard to see the message I want top be seen in 120. Sure, 120x120 saves Ashton space, but with the amount of us that use offline images, I think 150 would be great.

Could the avatar size be changed to 150?

Personally, I think there big enough. The bigger they are, the more the text gets push to the right side of the computer screen. I do recall on the old board that we were able to put a large picture in our profile page. I'd like to see that back.

I have to agree with Steve here. Avatars are supposed to be just a little picture representing yourself, why attempt to divert attention there while the main ideas of the threads are evident? One of the reasons why I removed my avatar. If possible, I'd prefer to see them set at 60*60, though I doubt many people would support that.

On the note of images in posts, I see lots of people sucking up bandwidth by posting their full 2 megapixel photos onto the board, and having them as attachments. <_< Why not conserve and resize to a measly 1280*1024 pixels?

I support small avatars - smaller signatures too.

If you want to show off your pictures, do so on your picture site or whatnot.

If possible, I'd prefer to see them set at 60*60, though I doubt many people would support that.

The current size is perfect. Smaller would be just a little too small.

I don't see the need for larger Avatars at all personally. I think the side photo like what I have showing a small photo of a bus is good enough... my opinion anyways.

We have tried changing the size for avatars in the past. This board's standard avatar size I believe is 80X80. That, I find as well, is quite too small... So, we've made it 120x120 as a standard size.

Look.

If the avatar is not good enough... look at what people do with their signatures.

Not good enough? Open a website to host your pics.

Personally, I think there big enough. The bigger they are, the more the text gets push to the right side of the computer screen. I do recall on the old board that we were able to put a large picture in our profile page. I'd like to see that back.

I agree as well. Just keep it at 120x120 forever.

Look.

If the avatar is not good enough... look at what people do with their signatures.

Not good enough? Open a website to host your pics.

Well I guess the Signatures is what I was referring to... They don't need to be that big at all! Website links and your name or screen name is good enough IMHO.

Well I guess the Signatures is what I was referring to... They don't need to be that big at all! Website links and your name or screen name is good enough IMHO.

Agreed. I don't care what bus routes you ride or other useless crap people decide to take up my bandwidth with.

I was wondering...How do you scale down the size of your pics to fit the avatar? all of mine are over 600kb straight from the cam and I don't know how to lower it. Thanks.

I was wondering...How do you scale down the size of your pics to fit the avatar? all of mine are over 600kb straight from the cam and I don't know how to lower it. Thanks.

Use Photoshop, set your crop dimensions to 120 px by 120 px, then crop out the section of the image you want to use.

Or, if you don't have Photoshop, you can fiddle around with it in Paint, but that's a little more tricky to get the dimensions right. You'll have to eyeball it, or shrink it down manually.

If you have MS Office 2003 or newer, use MS Office Picture Manager. I use it to crop and resize. many free programs can be found on the internet, including a great program from Microsoft Powertoys called picture resizer.

I think there should be a limit to signature length. I don't mean to put this user on the spot, but it was just an example I randomly found.

http://www.etspe.ca/cptdb/index.php?showuser=99

There is a limit to signature size, just that most people decide NOT to follow it. The Terms of Use states so, but I doubt many people read it carefully.

4. Signature size - Please keep personal signatures limited to one image (not exceeding

600 pixels in width and 250 pixels in height, 600x250px). This 600x250px size includes

text and photos.

This isn't the worst signature size you can get, on one forum, they restrict it to four lines of text or one image plus two lines of text.

This isn't the worst signature size you can get, on one forum, they restrict it to four lines of text or one image plus two lines of text.

That would be sweet.

Honestly, the length of signatures doesn't matter all that much. Just like avatars. I disable both of them so that it is far faster to read through (and load) the posts.

Honestly, the length of signatures doesn't matter all that much. Just like avatars. I disable both of them so that it is far faster to read through (and load) the posts.

Beautiful. Didn't know you could do that... But I see it's under board settings. Thanks!

Well, who's in the best position to enforce that limit?

The admins. If they see something too large, they should take it off right away and send a warning to the person.