Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Transitfan39

Montreal Metro MR-63 Retirement Watch

22 posts in this topic

With more Azurs coming in on a monthly basis, This is a good timing to begin the MR-63 retirement watch. There was 336 cars running both the Green and Yellow lines and as user @SMS said on the Metro thread, the first MR-63 retired was Element 42 Jeumont. If the Element 41 hasn't already been retired, 80-041 is the only Jeumont running, If you hear a retirement of a MR-63 either on Youtube, from the STM or any other sites. comment below

What I have heard so far

Retired

81-581 // 80-041 // 81-582

81-583 // 80-042 // 81-584

81-693 // 80-097 // 81-694 ** Awaiting Official Confirmation**

Why did the Jeumont's go first? Oddballs of the fleet?

4 hours ago, Matt Demers said:

Why did the Jeumont's go first? Oddballs of the fleet?

I don't think the Jeumonts are in the best shape, in fact I think of the MR-63 fleet they were in the WORST shape

8 hours ago, Transitfan39 said:

I don't think the Jeumonts are in the best shape, in fact I think of the MR-63 fleet they were in the WORST shape

What's the difference between a Jeumont and another type of MR-63?

51 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

It is the special type of motor that makes the loud F / B-flat / F sound, and was specifically to be tested for the MR-73.

2 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

The Jeumonts were prototypes that were tested for tones that were going to be introduced on the MR-73s, I believe they were introduced in the 1970s, They weren't planned to be so popular and the STM kept 2 of 3 Jeumonts (80-041 and 80-042). The 3rd Jeumont (80-043), was retired and is used for the Just for Laughs festival. The difference is the Jeumonts has either loud or silent Jeumonts (80-042 is louder than 80-041) and the rest of the 63 fleet use a motor known as Hitachi motors

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Transitfan39 said:

The Jeumonts were prototypes that were tested for tones that were going to be introduced on the MR-73s, I believe they were introduced in the 1970s, They weren't planned to be so popular and the STM kept 2 of 3 Jeumonts (80-041 and 80-042). The 3rd Jeumont (80-043), was retired and is used for the Just for Laughs festival. The difference is the Jeumonts has either loud or silent Jeumonts (80-042 is louder than 80-041) and the rest of the 63 fleet use a motor known as Hitachi motors

Fact check

- Normal MR63 don't have current chopper engine, so no Hitachi or Jeumont there

- Jeumont elements 41 and 42 were not back in service until the mid 2000 !

-  The chopper sound is just because it is like that, not because of a popularity contest

3 hours ago, eclair14 said:

Fact check

- Normal MR63 don't have current chopper engine, so no Hitachi or Jeumont there

- Jeumont elements 41 and 42 were not back in service until the mid 2000 !

-  The chopper sound is just because it is like that, not because of a popularity contest

I used the info from the STM's website on the history of the MR-63 and they mentioned Hitachi and Jeumont as prototypes http://www.stm.info/en/about/major_projects/sustainable-reclamation-plan-mr-63-cars

6 hours ago, Transitfan39 said:

A minor correction to your post. It was 80-040 paired with 81-579 / 81-580.

I will miss riding the Jeumont trains. It was always in the middle set on the green line so it was pretty easy to spot. :(

30 minutes ago, Matt Demers said:

A minor correction to your post. It was 80-040 paired with 81-579 / 81-580.

I will miss riding the Jeumont trains. It was always in the middle set on the green line so it was pretty easy to spot. :(

I thought it was 80-041-043 was the Jeumont but after a google search you are correct its not 80-043 but 040

On 31/08/2016 at 6:36 PM, Transitfan39 said:

I used the info from the STM's website on the history of the MR-63 and they mentioned Hitachi and Jeumont as prototypes http://www.stm.info/en/about/major_projects/sustainable-reclamation-plan-mr-63-cars

Yeah but the Hitachi units were reconverted back to normal, so no current chopper on the normal ones except the Jeumonts that were left in service.

33 minutes ago, AlexLy said:

Yeah but the Hitachi units were reconverted back to normal, so no current chopper on the normal ones except the Jeumonts that were left in service.

Oh I thought all the trains were Hitachi motor equipped, what makes the bass sound when the MR-63 accelerates and decelerates?

81-581 // 80-041 // 81-582 (Back in Service, next on the list when next Azur enters service)

Retired (Confirmed)

81-529 // 80-015 // 81-530

81-583 // 80-042 // 81-584 (Sent to American Iron and Metal in Rivière-Des-Prairies)

81-693 // 80-097 // 81-694

I'm curious if anyone heard of any notable retirements on the MR-63s, like if the Element 41 been retired again

Nothing yet, still waiting for the next Azur Set to be ready for service, it was delivered last week.

Well, 80-031 and it's mates 81-561 / 81-562 are gone. I remember a fun ride on 81-561 years ago when the train would jerk hard and the whole train burst out laughing in amusement.

I got on 80-007 today and when approaching Beaudry station, half the lights turned off and the train rolled into the station with silence. A few minutes after all the fans and the other half of the lights came back on.. Is this a problem with the train or with the power?

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎15 at 11:47 PM, Matt Demers said:

Well, 80-031 and it's mates 81-561 / 81-562 are gone. I remember a fun ride on 81-561 years ago when the train would jerk hard and the whole train burst out laughing in amusement.

80-031 was put on display at Place des Arts for the 50th anniversary, I don't know if its still sitting there as of Oct. 17 2016

12 hours ago, Transitfan39 said:

80-031 was put on display at Place des Arts for the 50th anniversary, I don't know if its still sitting there as of Oct. 17 2016

We passed the next day on the Charter and it was gone.

Have anyone spotted the Element 41 lately? I haven't seen any videos of it in a while and my friend said he haven't seen it in weeks