Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit (TCAT) discussion

map.man (Darrin)

• 2 weeks later...

2501, 212, 613-614, 701 are all retired for good. 702, the only operating hybrid right now, will follow in suit shortly. Though currently OOS, 1102 will be repaired and put back into service, to be TCAT’s only hybrid. Also the final scheme for the Proterras came in today and the design looks a m a z i n g. I don’t know whether I’m allowed to discuss it here, so all i’ll say is that it’s a special design based off of the existing TCAT color palatte.

1908 entered service on the 82 today

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2019 at 6:55 PM, Orion6025 said:

2501, 212, 613-614, 701 are all retired for good. 702, the only operating hybrid right now, will follow in suit shortly. Though currently OOS, 1102 will be repaired and put back into service, to be TCAT’s only hybrid.

What happened to hybrids 703 and 1103? 

2 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

What happened to hybrids 703 and 1103? 

To add on to the little blurbs i put on the wiki, it looks like 1103 has been towed off property but I didn’t elect to walk thru the boneyard this time so i can’t be sure. That said, counting the hybrid humps i saw from the street, 1103’s appeared to be missing

• 2 weeks later...

701-702 are here to stay as contingency buses.

1402-1403 likely have made their last runs (been a while since they last ran...). They have not been retired yet but they have been parked for weeks and I was informed that they likely they won’t return to the streets.

the champions will probably take their place

• 2 months later...

On 12/6/2019 at 8:13 PM, Orion6025 said:

1402-1403 likely have made their last runs (been a while since they last ran...).

I feel it is worth mentioning that 1402 and 1403 are still *active*. 1403 hasn't ran in quite some time but 1402 has ran in 2020, it's just that they repair it and it breaks down within a week, so then it gets parked for a few more weeks before they repair it again, then it runs for a week then breaks down, and so on and so forth...

• 3 weeks later...

buses are free and now have a max "capacity" of 20 peopel (With overflow backup buses being made available if necessary)

https://www.tcatbus.com/tcat-will-no-longer-collect-fares-3-20-20-through-4-9-20/

Still no word on whether they're taking away front door boarding (Quite frankly I don't know why they aren't doing that yet with buses going fare free)

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Proposed service changes for August 30 thru November 28 are out. Not worth summarizing everything in great detail, but I've included some major takeaways below. Some are merely extensions/formal adoptions of changes made during the corona changes. -

Urban:

Route 11N: Remains suspended

Route 13: Truncated from Cayuga Mall to Ithaca HS. It now functions as a loop/a quasi Fall-Creek circulator route. Though the map isn't finalized yet, the routing should be quite similar to the pre-corona 13, except that the annoying little spur from Aldi's has been cut and incorporated into a new route and everything north of Ithaca Mall is not happening.

Route 13S: New route that is a complementary circulator to the 13 connecting various food-acquisition-places (I don't know a general term that encompasses businesses that are supermarkets and whatever food co-ops are...). Map isn't out yet.

Route 15: New express trips that bypass Titus Towers are being implemented

The rush hour extras for the 31, 32 have been cancelled. No word if the 30 and 51 backup trips are lost, but I imagine they are (See university-related routes). I haven't bothered to compare the newly proposed headways with the pre-corona schedule to see if there are any major differences.

Rural:

General Note: Routes 20, 21, 37, 40, 52, 65, 67 are once again being rerouted to serve Cornell's West Campus to replace the short lived 83W. I would need to look at old schedules to see how many of these reroutes are just service restorations, since at least the 37 and 52 had their loop replaced by the 83W this past winter and I have forgotten the rest.. There is at least one short trip that will essentially be an 83W that continues to BTI.

Routes 36, 37: Seems like they're returning to pre-corona routings.

Routes 40, 43: Now operate on weekends. Replaces the 74, 75.

Route 41: The southern terminal has been swapped from Schwartz CPA to Cornell's west campus (Essentially helping replace the 83W).

Route 53: Down to 2 total trips per rush instead of 3.

Route 67: Buttermilk/Southwest Shopping short trips are probably cancelled, but I'd need confirmation on that...

Tconnect: Originally the plan was to run a pilot Tconnect service in the immediate Dryden area, essentially operating as an on-demand feeder service for the route 43 from rural areas that cannot justify having a bus route. That plan has been scuttled for now because of corona. Instead, the pilot will operate in Lansing and Etna, completely replacing the 77 (and helping pick up the slack from the 74).

University-related:

The university network has been restructured (again). Previously, the 82 was the "big honcho" connecting cornell's north campus to central campus and the various residential areas with high student populations to the SW to central campus. The 81 served as a supplement to the 82, operating in the reverse direction/helping alleviate crowding in the morning "rush", and then basically acting as a series of northbound short turn 82s connecting central campus with north campus in the afternoon "rush". The 83 was essentially a short turning 82 from north --> central campus that ran when the 81 wasn't running, and the 83W was the west campus-central campus "circulator" if you will.

The new network threw that "pecking order" out and is a slightly simpler network of equally-important circulators.

The new 81 is exactly the same as the north half of the old 82, ending at the B lot (Still retains the early morning trippers to Schwartz CPA).

The new 82 is exactly the same as the south half of the old 82, ending in central campus.

The 83 remains suspended.

The 83W has been replaced as discussed above.

A new route 84 is being created (Well, technically the 84 has been resurrected) which is a Collegetown/South Campus to Central Campus circulator route which seems to be essentially replacing the 30 and 51 backup trips (But we'll see.).

Night network:

Route 11N: Remains suspended

Route 90: Reverts to the pre-11N routing (Last used in the summer 2019 schedule) of running to downtown.

Route 92: No longer serves East Hill Plaza

Route 93: No longer serves North/West Campuses.

Service also now ends at midnight, instead of 3 AM.

TLDR VERSION:

Routes operating - 10, 11, 11S 13, 13S, 14, 14S, 15, 17, 20, 21, 30, 31, 32, 36, 37, 40, 41, 43, 51, 52, 53, 65, 67, 70, 72, 81, 82, 84, 90, 92, 93

Discontinued or Suspended routes - 11N, 74, 75, 77, 83, 83W

New routes - 13S, 84

Routes with new routings - 13, 15, 20, 21, 37, 40, 41, 52, 65, 67, 81, 82, 90, 92, 93

-------

Once the schedule book comes out, these changes will be edited into the wiki (As well as the miscellaneous corona service changes).

General service change info link, route 81's map/schedule (The only one that is released)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One more change to the electric bus order. It’s now for 7 buses, up from 3. I assume 3 of the extra 4 buses may be  options from the base order for the first 3. The base order has been so delayed, that right around now is when the options likely would have been exercised. A second small electric order for the 77 DAR is being considered right now but no order has been placed...

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

proterra delivery remains on  schedule for March 2021.

The following buses will be retired:

601,3-5,7-8

901-2

A somewhat important note though is that it's not clear which if any will remain stored in the dead bus lot for potential reactivation in the future if the need arises.

Wiki has been cleaned up some and brought up to date again...

• Thanks 1