HIRED! My TTC Operator Hiring Experience - 2016

On 8/26/2016 at 7:31 PM, Betablocker said:

Good to know...

BTW New TTC Op, how was your first week of training? Enlighten those of us who are right behind you ;)

Hey guys!

Great first week. First 4 days were all classroom spent at the Hillcrest Complex . Completed air brake theory , intor to 7 air brake test practical tests and wrote the air brake test. Friday was our first day of driving. My partner and I did well and really enjoyed it. 

Lots to learn, study and remember , but this is a great job is the best first week at a job I have ever had. I'm most impressed by the people. Every person I have met that instructor, supervisor and driver have a smile on their face and legit happy. How many people can say that after working for a complany for 20+ years! 

• Like 2

Hi New TTC Operator, 

I start training on Sept 6th, and was glad to hear that your training is off to a great start. I just wanted to ask you, for your first week, did you write an Air brakes test soon after? I was wondering if it would help me if I studied ahead of time before attending the training? Would you suggest that, or is passing obtainable based on the material and instructors?

Thanks for any advice, 

Bus girl

Hello All,

i had interview in the second week of August after the info session on 22nd June.

References were all reached within 4 business days of the Interview. References called me and advised me of the call from Garda. And it was all went well.

After that no response.

Anyone having similar situation or have received any correspondence from them?

Congrats for all the new trainees! Just a little piece of advice especially for those with families of their own. Give your spouses/kids a heads up on the type of hours you will be working once you pass training. It'll be rough the first 2 or 3 years. Hopefully you don't get stuck doing spareboard for a long time and you'll find the crew that fits your home life best. 

19 hours ago, drivin_diva said:

Congrats for all the new trainees! Just a little piece of advice especially for those with families of their own. Give your spouses/kids a heads up on the type of hours you will be working once you pass training. It'll be rough the first 2 or 3 years. Hopefully you don't get stuck doing spareboard for a long time and you'll find the crew that fits your home life best. 

I'm going on 5 years and lIve off SB or vacation board. Some don't but I prefer it. Once you get used to doing senior work you can't go back to splits or garbage routes! ?

• Like 1

On August 11, 2016 at 0:36 PM, New TTC Operator said:

The only thing better wold be turn by turn directions

Aren't turn by turn directions provided on the TTC website? See the tab that says Route Description in ttc.ca>Schedules and Maps>BusRoutes, then choose a route and go to the tab Route Description. Here's the link to the 38 Highland Creek: https://www.ttc.ca/Routes/38/RouteDescription.jsp?tabName=route 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I tried to find this answer elsewhere but could not find it. I'm only at the interview stage of the process so nothing is confirmed but I am interested to know this to compare the Operator position to my current job:

An Operator currently starts at $25.53/hr. After all taxes and deductions, what does that amount to on a bi-weekly basis? Basically, what is left on your paycheck in the first couple years?

If you could answer the same question for the $33.32/hr two-year rate, that would be great!

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Absolutetruth100 said:

Hello everyone,

I tried to find this answer elsewhere but could not find it. I'm only at the interview stage of the process so nothing is confirmed but I am interested to know this to compare the Operator position to my current job:

An Operator currently starts at $25.53/hr. After all taxes and deductions, what does that amount to on a bi-weekly basis? Basically, what is left on your paycheck in the first couple years?

If you could answer the same question for the $33.32/hr two-year rate, that would be great!

Thanks

Starting rate say $750/week. Might be little lower when pension deduction kicks in. Full rate $1000/week. All approximate. Depends on how many hours you work plus OT. Crew values range from minimum 40 to almost 50 hrs/week. Don't forget to factor in the pension and benefits to your decision which are excellent. My last pay with 12 hrs OT was $1500 after taxes but not forgetting my CPP and EI are long maxed out as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, andyman said:

Starting rate say $750/week. Might be little lower when pension deduction kicks in. Full rate $1000/week. All approximate. Depends on how many hours you work plus OT. Crew values range from minimum 40 to almost 50 hrs/week. Don't forget to factor in the pension and benefits to your decision which are excellent. My last pay with 12 hrs OT was $1500 after taxes but not forgetting my CPP and EI are long maxed out as well.

Thanks! That's $1500 was for a week or two weeks?

3 hours ago, Absolutetruth100 said:

Thanks! That's $1500 was for a week or two weeks?

1 week. Was close to max of 60 hrs allowed per week. Your better off to pick a 40hr crew and work 20 hrs OT then say pick a 50hr crew and do 10 hrs OT. Many in the past would take a 50hr crew and work 20 hrs OT but looks like the cap of 60hrs a week will be permanent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, andyman said:

1 week. Was close to max of 60 hrs allowed per week. Your better off to pick a 40hr crew and work 20 hrs OT then say pick a 50hr crew and do 10 hrs OT. Many in the past would take a 50hr crew and work 20 hrs OT but looks like the cap of 60hrs a week will be permanent.

Just curious about who implemented the cap, TTC or the union? I would imagine that someone at top rate working 60 hours a week with 20 hours overtime could push 2g's net?

15 hours ago, Dane said:

If it's $1500 after tax / deductions for a week I am moving to Toronto lol. 

That's with OT. 60 hrs. Already CPP and EI maxed.

13 hours ago, Betablocker said:

Just curious about who implemented the cap, TTC or the union? I would imagine that someone at top rate working 60 hours a week with 20 hours overtime could push 2g's net?

Union. Basically means ops doing less OT so TTC hires more = more union dues. Even though I do agree working 70 hrs a week is ridiculous.

13 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

overtime is not always guarantee.  

Some ops go to other divisions or even different mode for OT. If you really want it you can find it. Depends how bad you need it I suppose.

I did 70 once. Actually tallied up my hours at the end of the week and was quite surprised with it, but it caught up with me on the "weekend". Nice paycheque though. It was basically a double paycheque week even after the higher deductions.

It was just a crappy week with everyone calling in sick or something so they were desperate everywhere. Some of that was actually involuntary because they literally had no one to take over from me, mid-route rush hour with a packed artic bus. And some was for another garage because that's how widespread the shortages were that week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2016 at 11:19 AM, New TTC Operator said:

Hi New TTC Operator, congrats on the new job!

I have a question about the Info Session and Aptitude test that I'm hoping you can help with. I posted in the other thread about the general TTC application process, but thought to ask you as well.

You mentioned you answered 40 questions - roughly how many questions are there? How much time is given to complete them? Are all multiple choice, or are there True/False, fill in the blank, short essay questions? Can you recommend any guides or websites with aptitude tests where we can prepare/practice?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide :)

- Sara

• 1 month later...
On 2016-12-09 at 2:55 AM, New TTC Operator said:

Well since training it has been a bit hectic,  but passed training and have been working for three months. 

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask while. 

Hi, 

i have been on for almost 2 months now, just curious are you on spareboard or do you have a crew by now? And if your on spareboard, are you working days consistently? I keep getting told, that I would be getting a crew each time we pick, but I keep getting Spareboard. So, I'm just trying to figure out the timeline....

thanks,