HIRED! My TTC Operator Hiring Experience - 2016

8 hours ago, Betablocker said:

New TTC Op congrats on starting an exciting new career. Wishing you all the best and keep us informed about how things go in training. 

Thanks very much! 

I will update for sure. 

Question:

My training is at the Hillcrest Complex on Bathurst . Is there parking for employees there or close? 

3 hours ago, New TTC Operator said:

Thanks very much! 

I will update for sure. 

Question:

My training is at the Hillcrest Complex on Bathurst . Is there parking for employees there or close? 

Congrats on your training. There is parking but you'll have to pay $3.00 or something like that.

TTC Op: I recall that TTC payroll is weekly so I don't think you will need to wait that long.

I've got a quick question regarding documentation which is the next phase for me: when you get fitted for the uniform, can you pick it up right away or do you have to wait until it's made for your size? I would imagine you must be in uniform for training? What about dry cleaning? I read in the collective agreement that TTC gives you "tickets" for free dry cleaning. Can you take the uniform to your local dry cleaner?

1 hour ago, Betablocker said:

TTC Op: I recall that TTC payroll is weekly so I don't think you will need to wait that long.

I've got a quick question regarding documentation which is the next phase for me: when you get fitted for the uniform, can you pick it up right away or do you have to wait until it's made for your size? I would imagine you must be in uniform for training? What about dry cleaning? I read in the collective agreement that TTC gives you "tickets" for free dry cleaning. Can you take the uniform to your local dry cleaner?

I haven't started my training yet, but it sounds like you don't have the uniform until the end. As for dry cleaning, I would imagine they would all be machine washable at home.

The dry cleaning tickets are for police uniforms only as far as I know. 

12 hours ago, Dane said:

That's odd. Why would an employer do that? 

Every employer I have had has done that. This was in a different field mind you. 

It sounds like they don't do that at the TTC and that is all the better. :)

54 minutes ago, New TTC Operator said:

I haven't started my training yet, but it sounds like you don't have the uniform until the end. As for dry cleaning, I would imagine they would all be machine washable at home.

The dry cleaning tickets are for police uniforms only as far as I know. 

Every employer I have had has done that. This was in a different field mind you. 

It sounds like they don't do that at the TTC and that is all the better. :)

The vouchers they give us are for any piece of the uniform if you don't want to wash them at home. The pants that they give us have a tag that actually says 'DRY CLEAN ONLY', but people still wash them at home.

2 hours ago, Betablocker said:

There are designated dry cleaners throughout the GTA that accept TTC vouchers, you can't just go anywhere. A list of them will be posted in your division.

On 15/08/2016 at 0:23 PM, New TTC Operator said:

That would be great. 

Is that on the Hillcrest lot or the parking lot just passed the entrance?

Once you get your employee pass proceed to the back lot, closest entrance to Dupont, go past the pay lady for front lot to the back lot. Swipe your pass and pay at machine. Make sure to bring change. 

On August 11, 2016 at 0:36 PM, New TTC Operator said:

That is exactly what I have been looking for . Very helpful to give an idea of the route. The only thing better wold be turn by turn directions lol...something that only comes with experience. :)

Thanks @Kelvin3157

If that's what I have to do then consider it done. Just assumed some of the more experienced would have suggestions where that could be avoided. 

You have 3 days of route familiarization when you pass but yes you run the route before you drive it , that's how most of us do it .

On 16/08/2016 at 6:56 AM, Betablocker said:

They send you all over the city to get fitted at different places for your jacket, shirts and pants and it's quite common to have to take them back again and again for alterations. At least they got rid of that stupid hem tape. I don't order golf shirts any more as I get the dry fit ones from the guy who used to come to the divisions and sell stuff.

Not many options for dry cleaners so I suppose many wash their own.

I always dry clean my jacket as it looks like crap if you don't especially the reflective parts.

I like to dry clean my dress shirts and wash my pants myself but by the end of the year I start dry cleaning everything as I try to finish off all my vouchers. 

Most divisions have a box or barrel where ops leave their old uniforms so new ops can grab some ill fitting stuff but instructors will tell you don't be in a rush to wear your uniform right away as the public will take it easy on you seeing your new if not in full uniform. It's quite common to go months before you receive everything.

If they have your shirt size - you will have shirts and tie. You will not have a jacket or pants - you have to get measured and fitted for those and they take forever . 

Enjoy the non uniform for a while - once they see the uniform /logo your lumped into the same category as the rest of us and if you haven't got thick skin it can or a sense of humor it can hinder you. 

On August 24, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Mrsb2you said:

Enjoy the non uniform for a while - once they see the uniform /logo your lumped into the same category as the rest of us and if you haven't got thick skin it can or a sense of humor it can hinder you. 

Good to know...

BTW New TTC Op, how was your first week of training? Enlighten those of us who are right behind you ;)

• Like 1