HIRED! My TTC Operator Hiring Experience - 2016

I just received the call for my start date. I start training Aug. 22, mode is Bus and my division is #8 Malvern. If anyone has experience at this division I would appreciate you sharing any advice you may have. 

I haven't posted on here before, but have found this forum a very helpful resource and wanted to thank everyone for posting here. As I didn't know anyone working for the TTC this has been a great place to read and find answers to many questions. Thank you! 

The process was longer than I would have expected. As such I thought it would be helpful to post a timeline for the stages that was my experience in hopes of it helping others.

Jan 8, 2016 - Online Application

March 5, 2016 - Information Session ( I answered 40 questions or so and found it pretty simple . ADVICE - Follow the instructions, listen and read)

April 6, 2016 - Email from TTC for interview

April 15, 2016 - Completed Job Shadowing  I completed the entire thing in one night. I had never been on a TTC bus and found it good time to talk to drivers and get to know if the job was for me. It may not be necessary to complete it as others have said here you could write it out without going on the routes, but I found it helpful. 

April 25, 2016 - TTC interview . On arriving forst thing they want to see is the requested documents (education diplomas, abstract, completed job shadow ect). Then completed police background check form. Interview - 12 questions based on you giving specific examples from your past work history. I also handed them my list of work references. 

May 9, 2016 - All my references were contacted. They were all asked the same questions about my sick time, work ethic etc. 

May 18, 2016 -Received and signed Conditional Job offer via email -  Added to hiring "Pool B"

May 19, 2016 - Medical Appointment - Crazy amount of paperwork. Filled out 10 forms before going and then another 20 once there. Nothing crazy here. Physical testing involved pushing and pulling a weighted cart etc. Hearing, vision tests, drug urine test and then a physical with the doctor. 

June 25, 2016 - Received letter from Toronto police requesting I make an appointment for fingerprinting. I later learned from them that this is unusual and was because my date of birth was the same as somebody else who had a record. 

July 8. 2016 - Attended fingerprint session with Toronto Police

July 18, 2016 - Received CLEAR vulnerable sector check form in mail 

July 15, 2016 - Received phone call and email confirming Documentation session time and date

July 27, 2016 - Attended documentation session Sized for uniforms and completed forms and submitted another copy of abstract. 

Aug 4, 2016 - TTC Human Resources called with Start date, Divison and mode. Start work August 22 2016!

Hope this is of help to anyone involved in the process and please feel free to ask any questions. Best of luck to all!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Malvern is very senior.  You won't move up much.  The clearance inside the storage bay is extremely tight so be careful.  You will be driving hybrids.

I have been told that about the seniority at Malvern, but it means I will have a 20 minute commute to work so I couldn't be happier. I realize being there means I will have the less desirable shifts. Any thoughts on what those might be at 8 division?

Appreciate the advice on the storage bay. Fingers crossed! lol 

Be calm in training, they'll give you things at a reasonable pace. Do the nightly homework, and read the next day's reading. Forget learning how to drive, they'll teach you, and Malvern's routes are mostly on wide streets with poles set back from the curb. Go to the MTO website, read the Ontario bus handbook and start in on how to do a circle check, and google how to check air brakes (Ignore trailer connectors, you don't test on them.) Get started on that, because that's the two things people fail out on.

With Malvern, you'll be on night buses for ages unless you transfer. Friend of mine transfered to Malvern after about a year in, and even he could only get nights; Finch rocket becoming Finch night. Once you hit the ten month, you might want to check out Eglinton for comparative seniority.

Have you looked in the application process thread? There are dozens, maybe hundreds of posts in there by people who have covered this exact same info.

Hybrids aren't.... terrible... but the 10-1100 first-gens will crap out on you and leave you on the side of the road from time to time. Rebuild made em quieter, but they're still falling apart. Artics aren't too bad either, but when they say "it only takes one extra foot to turn them"? Give yourself about 6 extra feet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, shivers said:

Be calm in training, they'll give you things at a reasonable pace. Do the nightly homework, and read the next day's reading. Forget learning how to drive, they'll teach you, and Malvern's routes are mostly on wide streets with poles set back from the curb. Go to the MTO website, read the Ontario bus handbook and start in on how to do a circle check, and google how to check air brakes (Ignore trailer connectors, you don't test on them.) Get started on that, because that's the two things people fail out on.

Good advice. I already have my CZ licence, but it has been a while since I got it , so I will take your advice and study up on both as I understand I will still have to complete the written and driving test despite having my licence.

12 minutes ago, shivers said:

With Malvern, you'll be on night buses for ages unless you transfer. Friend of mine transfered to Malvern after about a year in, and even he could only get nights;

I have worked nights for years and think it will work for me better. Are nights bus shifts straight hours or split shifts? ...thinking split shifts on nights would be tough. 

14 minutes ago, shivers said:

Once you hit the ten month, you might want to check out Eglinton for comparative seniority.

I will keep that in mind. Appreciate the advice. 

27 minutes ago, shivers said:

With Malvern, you'll be on night buses for ages unless you transfer. Friend of mine transfered to Malvern after about a year in, and even he could only get nights; Finch rocket becoming Finch night. Once you hit the ten month, you might want to check out Eglinton for comparative seniority.

Have you looked in the application process thread? There are dozens, maybe hundreds of posts in there by people who have covered this exact same info.

Hybrids aren't.... terrible... but the 10-1100 first-gens will crap out on you and leave you on the side of the road from time to time. Rebuild made em quieter, but they're still falling apart. Artics aren't too bad either, but when they say "it only takes one extra foot to turn them"? Give yourself about 6 extra feet.

Same with the Orion Vs, Flyers and many Fishbowls in its heyday. 

On a personal note, congratulations, New TTC Operator. Looking forward to see you on the road.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New TTC Operator said:

Are nights bus shifts straight hours or split shifts? ...thinking split shifts on nights would be tough.

Straight shifts. About 9pm-5am, plus or minus. And the schedules are either way too much time or way too little, nothing in between.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shivers said:

Straight shifts. About 9pm-5am, plus or minus. And the schedules are either way too much time or way too little, nothing in between.

Well that would be fantastic for me if worked out like that! I enjoy nights and that would work well with my family life. Thanks...now I'm even more excited! :)

On 8/9/2016 at 1:27 PM, shivers said:

Delete.

hybrids suck in the snow.  If you floor the bus too hard, you will fry the system.  Worst thing about hybrid is that you don't have a transmission to gear down when you going down the slope.  The only route Malvern you have to watch out for as far as I am aware of is 95 York Mills.  The road before York Mills Station is too narrow for a bus.  You have to take up two lanes.  I am sure your trainer will warn you about it.  Artics also stuck in the snow too.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, New TTC Operator said:

I believe it is 2 years before you can apply for a position outside of the role of operator, but transfers are allowed after probation is completed. 

12 hours ago, shivers said:

Correct.

I thought it was that you have to wait two years to transfer to a different mode. Say from bus to streetcar.

2 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

hybrids suck in the snow.  If you floor the bus too hard, you will fry the system.  Worst thing about hybrid is that you don't have a transmission to gear down when you going down the slope.  The only route Malvern you have to watch out for as far as I am aware of is 95 York Mills.  The road before York Mills Station is too narrow for a bus.  You have to take up two lanes.  I am sure your trainer will warn you about it.  Artics also stuck in the snow too.  

Great to know. I appreciate it 

How do I get to know the routes? I imagine there being so many and the expectation is that I will need get to them, turn by turn from day one. Any advice?

43 minutes ago, New TTC Operator said:

I found this link . Seem pretty detailed , provided it us up to date it will be helpful. 

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/bus/8305.shtml

Route 139 is not operating anymore. It is outdated

This one, is updated by CPTDB, https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Transit_Commission_Malvern_Division

• Like 1

On 8/10/2016 at 11:58 AM, Kelvin3157 said:

Route 139 is not operating anymore. It is outdated

This one, is updated by CPTDB, https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Transit_Commission_Malvern_Division

That is exactly what I have been looking for . Very helpful to give an idea of the route. The only thing better wold be turn by turn directions lol...something that only comes with experience. :)

Thanks @Kelvin3157

23 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

You ride the routes on your days off

If that's what I have to do then consider it done. Just assumed some of the more experienced would have suggestions where that could be avoided.