16 McCowan

Childhood Moments and Memories

Since I came to Canada in March 1998 from the Philippines when I was four, I've experienced many memories and moments from the late 1990s to 2000s in terms of pop culture, music, food, events, etc...

To begin with me:

MUSIC: Britney Spears, Cher, Savage Garden, Shania Twain, Backstreet Boys, Venga Boys, N'Sync, Eminem, Dr. Dre, Nas, Shaggy, Justin Timberlake, No Doubt, Green Day, Stabilo, Michael Jackson, Ashanti, Christina Milan, Amerie, Sean Paul, etc...
TELEVISION: Dragon Ball, Pokemon, Franklin the Turtle, SpongeBob SquarePants, Jimmy Neutron, Hey Arnold!, Fillmore, Recess, Fairly OddParents, Atomic Betty, Kim Possible, Proud Family, Ripping Friends, Futurama, The Simpsons, UnderGrads, and several various channels
FOOD: 90s/2000s Chip and Soda packaging, McDonald's, Fish and Chips, Laura Secord, Free Breakfast at a school's church hall, etc...
EVENTS IN REAL LIFE: 9/11, Blackout of 2003, 2004 Tsunami, Hurricane Katrina, Stop the Violence with the Argos in 2005, 2008 TTC Strilke, etc...
SPORTS: Skating, Basketball, Soccer Baseball, Volleyball
VIDEO GAMES: Street Fighter, Sonic, WCW/nWO Revenge, 007 Nightfire, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, NBA ShootOut, NHL Championship 2000, Fear Effect, Jak and Daxter trilogy, NHL 06/07 and several DreamCast, XBOX, Playstation and Nintendo games.

What's your favorite moment or memory when you were small to high school graduation?

I have fond memories of the vacation in The Netherlands when I was 8 y/o and again when I was 11 y/o. When I was 11 I went by myself, although I was met at the airport by an aunt and uncle.

Also fond memories of having a crush on a teacher in Junior High School.

70's music and 60's & 70's TV was the best. Too many favorites to mention.

• Like 1

I'll try the best with these from the 80's and 90's.

Music and TV of the 80's and 90's was excellent and produced many favorites. I still remember when the Red Wings won their first Stanley Cup since the 50's and then went on to achieve back-to-back Cups and a few years before that the Pistons won their first NBA championship then also went on to back-to-back championships. Other events included Chernobyl, the Challenger explosion of 1986, the Gulf War, the 1992 riots...

- Saturday morning cartoons and then going out and working on our tree fort.  We had a big swamp area behind our house with an island where our fort was.

- Saturday nights - riding our bikes to the recreation centre to go swimming, hitting the video store and pizza joint after and watching movies like "The Delta Force", "Robocop", etc.

- Hitting the arcade after school - placing quarters  on the machines to signify you've got next play.

- Forgetting to do homework or study for a test and thinking that my life was over LOL!

- Summer vacation - get up in the morning, hop on the bikes and ride to Elison or Kal Parks and go cliff jumping all day and not be back till after dark.

- Air Cadets - doing weekend trips and staying at CFB Calgary or various US AFBs.  Going camping in the middle of January and chowing down on IMPs.

- TV:  Sunday nights, "The Wonderful World Of Walt Disney"; Tuesday nights, "The A-Team"; Friday nights, "Airwolf", "Blue Thunder", "V", "Simon and Simon"; Saturday nights, "Different Strokes", "The Love Boat", "Fantasy Island".

- Putting hockey cards into our bike spokes with a clothespin to make it sound like a motorbike.

- The Pop Shoppe.

- McDonalds - back then it was a treat, fast food was meant to be eaten every once in awhile.

- Being allowed to visit the cockpit on your flights.

- Going to the movie theatre for the very first time and watching Star Wars when it first came out.

- Drooling over your neighbours '79 Mustang Cobra Indy Pace Car and promising one day you'll own a Mustang too.

- Not having to worry about political correctness or "offending" people or what foods will give you cancer this week.

- Respecting others.

- Going to the library and checking out a bunch of Asterisk and Tintin comic books.

- Having your whole future and life ahead of you before you made stupid mistakes derailing your dreams and goals.

• Like 1

My all time favorite Panic! At The Disco song is this, which is one that I can relate to a lot more than is ideal, so one can imagine how often I think of the past:

If I wrote every single cherished childhood memory, no one would care, so I'll just list two:

first off was growing up in Bratislava for 2 years. I've lived in many places in my lifetime (but more on that later) but Bratislava was by far my favorite. I lived in an apartment overlooking a tram loop where no less than 3 routes terminated back in the day, as well as various bus routes.

9578396300_21940d417a_n.jpg7799, 7812, 7957 by Andrew P., on Flickr

2005 was a fruitful time for transit fanning as many vehicles were running around with distincive colored ad wraps, or the remains of them, rather than being in the same red and cream livery. I always wanted to go joyriding these cars with my dad when he got home from work.

7725-7726-po-odlepeni-reklamy.jpg?147006

7837-7838-odbocuje-na-Mostovu-ul.jpg?147

The T3 car remains not just as my favorite transit vehicle of all time, but probably my favorite thing as well. I love it.

My main favorite memory, however, is a lot broader than that. Despite the fact that Bratislava was my favorite place to live, that doesn't mean I hated elsewhere. I have lived in 7 different houses before the start of high school and each place afforded its own share of good times. Everywhere I went, life was awesome. I miss this a lot; being amazed by virtually everything in the world and almost every day being a good time, if not always memorable. When I went to Florida recently and saw a live rocket launch shortly after midnight, that was the first time I had felt amazed at something in a good 7 or 8 years. The main thing I miss, though, is not being aware of all the horrible things going on in the world. These days, it seems like there's something to worry about every other week, which I'm sure was true back in the day as well, but I wouldn't have known. Whether it's political issues, or personal struggles, I was blissfully unaware of it all. Pity.

Great thread!

Memories of of watching Sailor Moon at 4:30 am on YTV when parents are a sleep I snuck down stairs without them knowing.

I alway see GM New Look Fishbowl, 96 Orion V Lift 7000 series, 85/86 Flyer D901 6000 series together at Arrow Rd Division in three groups.

rode three of them on 99 Arrow Rd route 

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Back "then" tv was worth watching; when The Carol Burnett Show went off the air, tv died. I have one, but only for watching my laserdiscs.

When Red Skelton, and Ed Sullivan, went off the air, TV died again. And when Andy Griffith went off the air, it died again. Then some of the 60's & 70's action stuff like Dragnet, Adam 12, and Emergency went off the air, TV died yet again. There were a handful of good sci-fi shows, police dramas, court room dramas and medical dramas in around those times, but those are gone and replaced with garbage. Nothing good on any more.

• Like 1

Christmas trips to Yorkdale mall when CHristmas was more acceptable. Yorkdale mall was something to see in those days. Big haired women in big dresses and a bunch of guys with moustaches. LOL ah the 80s :lol::lol:

My oldest memory is of me staring at a CRT TV during a WCAU Newscast. This happened before April 2006 when my sister knocked down the TV. I would say that its from late 2005 - early 2006.

I remember in grade 5 or grade 6, on the school computer, there was a game called something along the lines of "new kid". Where you play a kid who just moved to a new community and guide him through his first day at his new school.

Anyways, as the game progressed, you encountered situations that gave 3-4 solutions on what you can do; some were right and some were wrong.

The first time I played, I was with 1 or 2 of my classmates and one situation in the game was that your character was reading a book and suddenly, a classmate grabs it from you saying it's his turn to read it. You:

1. Let him keep it.

2. Kick his desk over with your foot.

3. Try to work out a way to share it.

When I played it with people, despite my objections, most my classmates always chose #2. As a result, the character got in trouble and had to write a letter to the teacher to apologize. They gave you a template, and you had to copy it exactly. If you didn't the character's teacher, Mrs. Marboro {don't remember 100% if that was her name but it was something similar that started with the letter "M"}. would say, "That's not quite right". And you'd have to do it again.

I typed most of it but it wasn't working until the librarian pointed out I forgot the top part "Dear Mrs. Marboro".

In the letter writing part, one of my classmates wrote something along the lines of "I will push over people's desks and I will murder you at midnight". :wacko: In universe, the teacher dismissed the death threat as "not quite right".

Earlier in the game, your character was hit by spitballs while in class. You were given four options:

1. Do nothing.

2. Shoot back at them.

3. Tell them to stop.

4. Tell the teacher.

We eventually chose to tell the teacher as it was the only way to continue. Though some of my classmates chanted something along the lines of "We demand to shoot back at them". However, if you answered a later task right, your character would befriend one of the kids shooting spitballs after stopping him from being bullied.

On a side note, I later played the game solo and chose the right answers.

2 minutes ago, Tom1122 said:

I remember in grade 5 or grade 6, on the school computer, there was a game called something along the lines of "new kid". Where you play a kid who just moved to a new community and guide him through his first day at his new school.

Anyways, as the game progressed, you encountered situations that gave 3-4 solutions on what you can do; some were right and some were wrong.

The first time I played, I was with 1 or 2 of my classmates and one situation in the game was that your character was reading a book and suddenly, a classmate grabs it from you saying it's his turn to read it. You:

1. Let him keep it.

2. Kick his desk over with your foot.

3. Try to work out a way to share it.

When I played it with people, despite my objections, most my classmates always chose #2. As a result, the character got in trouble and had to write a letter to the teacher to apologize. They gave you a template, and you had to copy it exactly. If you didn't the character's teacher, Mrs. Marboro {don't remember 100% if that was her name but it was something similar that started with the letter "M"}. would say, "That's not quite right". And you'd have to do it again.

I typed most of it but it wasn't working until the librarian pointed out I forgot the top part "Dear Mrs. Marboro".

In the letter writing part, one of my classmates wrote something along the lines of "I will push over people's desks and I will murder you at midnight". :wacko: In universe, the teacher dismissed the death threat as "not quite right".

Earlier in the game, your character was hit by spitballs while in class. You were given four options:

1. Do nothing.

2. Shoot back at them.

3. Tell them to stop.

4. Tell the teacher.

We eventually chose to tell the teacher as it was the only way to continue. Though some of my classmates chanted something along the lines of "We demand to shoot back at them". However, if you answered a later task right, your character would befriend one of the kids shooting spitballs after stopping him from being bullied.

On a side note, I later played the game solo and chose the right answers.

You could have posted it here 

I remember when I was in the third grade my family went to Dearborn, Michigan for a weekend. One day we were at the Amtrak station and found a penny that had been flattened by a Chicago bound Amtrak train. The following week, I brought it to school for show and tell. My teacher said that when she was a kid she used to put pennies on the railway tracks.