TTC Orion VII Retirements

12 hours ago, HB_1024 said:

Why would it defeat the point if the TTC isn't still operating them?

Because emissions are emissions, regardless of where on the planet the buses are operating?

Don't get me wrong, I understand they're only meant to be a stop gap solution, but the fact that the TTC is selling them off at all for revenue service elsewhere is something I find rather odd.

49 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Because emissions are emissions, regardless of where on the planet the buses are operating?

Don't get me wrong, I understand they're only meant to be a stop gap solution, but the fact that the TTC is selling them off at all for revenue service elsewhere is something I find rather odd.

I don't. Money is money. If the highest bidder is MTA and not a scraper, then that's where they'll go. TTC wouldn't retired them if it wasn't MTO. TTC spent a decent amount on refurbishing them. Something like $200k a bus and didn't get back on what they spent on them if they were to go to the scrap yard. TTC would had retired the hybrids instead with the PTIF funds.

Emission? NYC is gridlock all the time. Time square on Saturday? All the bridges between Manhattan and Brooklyn? All the taxis running around in circles? There's a lot more emission out there than 200 S50 buses. If the TTC cared more about the environment instead of transporting people, then they would have bought electric buses for a much higher cost.

I'm glad TTC has it's priority right. They are here to transport people from one place to another at the lowest cost. If selling 200 buses meant they can buy 40 new buses in the future, it's better than scrapping them for price of like 5 new buses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Turns out they may not even be going to MTA now, shit has hit the media in NYC about then buying "200 used dirty old diesel buses"

It's been reported that MTA inspected one such bus and saw 70 cracks in the frame.

The official narrative is that the frame cracks were a fabrication on the part of someone in the company to stop them from buying the "dirty diesel buses".

I don't know how true that is but this is a total shitshow :rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

The official narrative is that the frame cracks were a fabrication on the part of someone in the company to stop them from buying the "dirty diesel buses".

I don't know how true that is but this is a total shitshow :rolleyes:

Someone leak it to the media, Reason why it was posted to NYCTF's other wise the NYCTF contact would still keep this info private.

10 hours ago, BusFanForever said:

7442,7475,7696 and 7765 are now in the Mt Dennis bone yard.

Why were they moved to Mt.Dennis bone yard instead of Birchmount bus yard where 7000 and 7200 series were retired and parked there long time ago?

21 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

To MTA or getting scrapped?

Not yet confirmed but I'd say scrapped judging by their condition (major mechanical issues).

11 hours ago, Sutharsan said:

Why were they moved to Mt.Dennis bone yard instead of Birchmount bus yard where 7000 and 7200 series were retired and parked there long time ago?

The techs who are currently decommissioning buses are currently set up at Mt Dennis and are just finishing up with the last of the 7300's.   

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:59 PM, Shaun said:

Do they still have frame cracks issues? If it was really a safety concern they wouldn't be on the road....right?

Of course safety comes first.  Some days some runs are cancelled due to bus shortage.   116b and 86b are the first runs that get cancel in the event of a bus shortage.

edit: 7615's radio has been removed.  So I think it is safe to say 7615 is done.

• Root Admin

According to a reliable source, the following Orion VIIs are no longer active.

7400-7499

7500-7619

7620-7881 (7882=7794, 7883=7666)

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Hexagonal 10 said:

However 7619 is currently on 54A, "Last seen a few seconds ago"

Unless the radio removal was more recent.

By radio do you mean the TRUMP unit?

Yes I am refering to the trump unit.  Sometimes the tracking is not accurate.  For example the tracker stated 8623 was spotted at a location near birchmount and Eglinton.  I saw it running back and forth between Kennedy Station to Don and Mills and Eglinton.  Maybe they put the trump back on the bus.  I don't talk to the foreman and mechanics regarding the retirements.  I post my observation based on whether the trumps are on the buses or not.

22 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Yes I am refering to the trump unit.  Sometimes the tracking is not accurate.  For example the tracker stated 8623 was spotted at a location near birchmount and Eglinton.  I saw it running back and forth between Kennedy Station to Don and Mills and Eglinton.  Maybe they put the trump back on the bus.  I don't talk to the foreman and mechanics regarding the retirements.  I post my observation based on whether the trumps are on the buses or not.

Thank you for the clarity, much appreciated.

It should be back now as it's showing 68A NB at Ellesmere at the time of posting. (19:38)