SilentSpades

RideKC (Kansas City, MO)

1 hour ago, neoartic7101 said:

2604 is a Prospect MAX training bus. I used that bus to train on. 

I also like the 2600s on the PMAX, too.

BTW, all the hybrids and 3535 have rollers on them, their rear ends were raised 6 inches to accommodate the opening and closing of the rear doors on raised platforms  and can be used on the PMAX now.

Does 2604 have the scheme, rollers and everything? I swore it was wrapped in a police memorial wrap a month ago.

Also I noticed the hybrids had the rollers, will be nice to see the rest of the MAX fleet get rollers. 

Another thing of note, word is during the RideKC Next changes, East-West routes will be seeing an upgrade to make transfers better. Hoping for a few other changes as well personally (30 min service on 201, 229). We shall see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SilentSpades said:

Does 2604 have the scheme, rollers and everything? I swore it was wrapped in a police memorial wrap a month ago.

Also I noticed the hybrids had the rollers, will be nice to see the rest of the MAX fleet get rollers. 

Another thing of note, word is during the RideKC Next changes, East-West routes will be seeing an upgrade to make transfers better. Hoping for a few other changes as well personally (30 min service on 201, 229). We shall see.

2604 is still in the police wrap. So passengers won't think it's a MAX.

And on the east-west routes, expect changes when East Village Transit Center is open. Especially on Kansas routes.

7 hours ago, neoartic7101 said:

2604 is still in the police wrap. So passengers won't think it's a MAX.

And on the east-west routes, expect changes when East Village Transit Center is open. Especially on Kansas routes.

February is when RideKC Next will be introduced to the public. Dave from RideKC has been mentioning it on KCRag, expect changes on most E-W routes, more service. 

Also I remember when I shadowed Mike from Planning, he mentioned he was having issues with the run times on 101 and 106 to go to East Village. Im guessing he figured it out, 47 is also supposed to go to East Village. 

Honestly there needs to be a way to get more funding to get routes like 201, 229, 238, 104, and 107 running 30 minutes all day, hoping KCK can come up with a sales tax for transit soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, SilentSpades said:

February is when RideKC Next will be introduced to the public. Dave from RideKC has been mentioning it on KCRag, expect changes on most E-W routes, more service. 

Also I remember when I shadowed Mike from Planning, he mentioned he was having issues with the run times on 101 and 106 to go to East Village. Im guessing he figured it out, 47 is also supposed to go to East Village. 

Honestly there needs to be a way to get more funding to get routes like 201, 229, 238, 104, and 107 running 30 minutes all day, hoping KCK can come up with a sales tax for transit soon. 

Hell, the 47 has run time issues on the weekends. Needs to be 100% large bus with 30 minute intervals on weekends. The 47 and 101 are the most late buses in the system. 

2 hours ago, neoartic7101 said:

Hell, the 47 has run time issues on the weekends. Needs to be 100% large bus with 30 minute intervals on weekends. The 47 and 101 are the most late buses in the system. 

At very least 30-40 minutes on Weekdays, 45 minutes on Saturday, at least have the option of adjusting run times.

101 on weekends is another beast. I guess add in a 3rd bus and allow for long layovers on each end. That route is always a mess though. 

Speaking of 47. Saw 2701 northbound.

Sign read to East Village/12th & Charlotte. Guess that answers the question on whether it will go there. Wonder why it already loaded in the system and showing on buses. 

On 1/12/2020 at 9:10 PM, neoartic7101 said:

Definitely can see that on the 47; I am less familiar with the 101.

Generally speaking, KC has some of the fastest scheduled running times in the biz. Most schedules are built for 3-4 minutes per mile, which is lightning speed for transit bus service. It may make sense in suburban areas or on some of KC's vast, wide and uncongested streets where ridership is low. For routes that serve busier, more urban areas, I'm really surprised they don't allot more time.

It's great to aspire to fast times -- but if you can't keep the schedule, it's not worth much!

What kind of layovers/recovery time do operators have on tight routes like that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Border City Transit said:

Definitely can see that on the 47; I am less familiar with the 101.

Generally speaking, KC has some of the fastest scheduled running times in the biz. Most schedules are built for 3-4 minutes per mile, which is lightning speed for transit bus service. It may make sense in suburban areas or on some of KC's vast, wide and uncongested streets where ridership is low. For routes that serve busier, more urban areas, I'm really surprised they don't allot more time.

It's great to aspire to fast times -- but if you can't keep the schedule, it's not worth much!

What kind of layovers/recovery time do operators have on tight routes like that?

@neoartic7101 would know first hand, since he is an operator. 

But usually on tight routes drivers will get 2-5 for layover, but if they're late, they're screwed there.

Buses surprisingly keep to schedule in the urban core, believe it or not its the suburban long routes (28, 47, 101, 201, etc) with the tight schedules that can't stay on schedule. 

On 1/17/2020 at 11:54 PM, SilentSpades said:

@neoartic7101 would know first hand, since he is an operator. 

But usually on tight routes drivers will get 2-5 for layover, but if they're late, they're screwed there.

Buses surprisingly keep to schedule in the urban core, believe it or not its the suburban long routes (28, 47, 101, 201, etc) with the tight schedules that can't stay on schedule. 

I drive the 201. I keep that route on schedule easily. 

The 47's problem (along with the 101) is the long route coupled with long headaways, especially with the volume of passengers those routes have.

The 101 won't change unless the Unified Government of Wyandotte County stops being cheap. If they would pony up the $$$, there would be better service. He'll, that route would have been a MAX before the Independence, which will open in 2024.

As for layover times, Prospect MAX has shitty layover times, as well as the 39th Street, 101 on nights and weekends, 47 on nights and weekends, the 229 and the 28.

And trust me, the 47 needs to he every 30 minutes. You HAVE to speed to try to keep up with the schedule on that route.

Edited by neoartic7101

On 1/22/2020 at 11:16 PM, RyanB_69 said:

It's looking like a 529 KCI Express is in the works.

Screenshot_2020-01-22-23-02-29.png

Interesting, will there be enough ridership for it to be anymore sucessful than 229? 

Sidenote. Always bothers me that 229 on weekdays doesn't even run every 30 minutes when it connects the airport to Downtown. Figure that would be up there on the list of priorities.

Hell, 201, 47 need to be 30 minutes all day. Considering those routes connect key corridors. 

11 hours ago, SilentSpades said:

Interesting, will there be enough ridership for it to be anymore sucessful than 229? 

Sidenote. Always bothers me that 229 on weekdays doesn't even run every 30 minutes when it connects the airport to Downtown. Figure that would be up there on the list of priorities.

Hell, 201, 47 need to be 30 minutes all day. Considering those routes connect key corridors. 

I think the idea for the 529 is the construction workers to get to and from the new terminal. The construction workers are supposed to get a pass to ride free just like the veterans do. And to ride other routes for free. Now for the 47 & 201, I'm totally with ya on 30 minute headways! 

On 1/24/2020 at 9:33 PM, RyanB_69 said:

I think the idea for the 529 is the construction workers to get to and from the new terminal. The construction workers are supposed to get a pass to ride free just like the veterans do. And to ride other routes for free. Now for the 47 & 201, I'm totally with ya on 30 minute headways! 

Yeah, I realized that after rereading it. 

And for 47, 201 (107, 238 as well) or any route that connects major regions, hubs, corridors or major transit centers should be at very least running every 30 minutes on the weekday all day. As for run time on some routes, that's a whole different beast. 30 minutes would help 47 on weekdays definitely. As for 28, and 101 on weekends might be better with a 45 minute headway instead of a 60 minute headway.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:11 PM, SilentSpades said:

Yeah, I realized that after rereading it. 

And for 47, 201 (107, 238 as well) or any route that connects major regions, hubs, corridors or major transit centers should be at very least running every 30 minutes on the weekday all day. As for run time on some routes, that's a whole different beast. 30 minutes would help 47 on weekdays definitely. As for 28, and 101 on weekends might be better with a 45 minute headway instead of a 60 minute headway.

There 47 needs til be 30 minutes off peak and weekends, period. 

I know from riding and driving experience. 

Same with the 101. No in betweens on that one. 

229 doesn't get the ridership during off peak for it to run every 30 minutes on weekdays. 

18 hours ago, neoartic7101 said:

There 47 needs til be 30 minutes off peak and weekends, period. 

I know from riding and driving experience. 

Same with the 101. No in betweens on that one. 

229 doesn't get the ridership during off peak for it to run every 30 minutes on weekdays. 

No way 229 isn't getting the ridership (you'd know better tho). Every bus I see come in/out of Downtown off peak is packed. Only time I ever see it not packed is ironically enough during rush hour. 

47 and 101 shock me particularly since both serve vast areas, not to mention Truman Sports Complex, or Sporting Park and T Bones stadium. Besides funding maybe ATA sees something we dont. 

On 1/29/2020 at 6:46 PM, SilentSpades said:

No way 229 isn't getting the ridership (you'd know better tho). Every bus I see come in/out of Downtown off peak is packed. Only time I ever see it not packed is ironically enough during rush hour. 

47 and 101 shock me particularly since both serve vast areas, not to mention Truman Sports Complex, or Sporting Park and T Bones stadium. Besides funding maybe ATA sees something we dont. 

If the 229 was consistent enough, then yes. But it isn't, I asked someone in the scheduling department.

As for the 47, they know they have a problem with it. 

As fo the 101 and all other KCK routes.... SIGN PETITIONS AND SEND TO WYANDOTTE COUNTY.

The KCATA did all that they could fo for better transit to no avail.

2 hours ago, neoartic7101 said:

If the 229 was consistent enough, then yes. But it isn't, I asked someone in the scheduling department.

As for the 47, they know they have a problem with it. 

As fo the 101 and all other KCK routes.... SIGN PETITIONS AND SEND TO WYANDOTTE COUNTY.

The KCATA did all that they could fo for better transit to no avail.

Thats the car-centric mindset of KC.

Amazes me people can crap on ATA for not having amazing service, yet resist every measure and attempt to beef up service.

@neoartic7101 how much of the shuttling did the ATA handle? I know they did they Kemper Shuttle, but besides that what else? From what I saw most of it was done by Durham and DS Lines.

If most of the shuttle service was outsourced, then I wonder why so few route were ran. 

On 2/5/2020 at 6:56 PM, SilentSpades said:

@neoartic7101 how much of the shuttling did the ATA handle? I know they did they Kemper Shuttle, but besides that what else? From what I saw most of it was done by Durham and DS Lines.

If most of the shuttle service was outsourced, then I wonder why so few route were ran. 

Our whole garage was empty. Most buses were doing the shuttle. I can't explain, we took our orders from the city.

What I'm mad about is that they told me I was gonna do the shuttle, then when I get ro work, I ended up doing my regular run on Wednesday the 201.

BTW, 3510 and 3511 have rollers on them, 3511 was on the PMAX tonight.

9 minutes ago, neoartic7101 said:

Our whole garage was empty. Most buses were doing the shuttle. I can't explain, we took our orders from the city.

What I'm mad about is that they told me I was gonna do the shuttle, then when I get ro work, I ended up doing my regular run on Wednesday the 201.

BTW, 3510 and 3511 have rollers on them, 3511 was on the PMAX tonight.

Comes with the territory I guess.

I saw 3510 with the rollers a few days ago, Safe to say those buses will be around for a good minute. 

Also did you see that JoCo plans on cutting more service in favor of microtransit?

HUGE CHANGES FROM RIDEKC NEXT

Takeaways

12 will replace all KCK service to downtown with 15-20 daytime service. 30 night service

47 no longer downtown. From KU Med to Shops at Blue Pkwy OR Blue Ridge Xing

31 to 3 trails every 30 min (short trips remain 15 min). Replaces 28 (I bet you tho 28 stays)

New route 40 replaces 47 on Broadway, 51, 52, 57 (this route really should be numbered 51). 

Northland routes 231, 233 and 234 combined into a new 239 from 64th/Prairie View to Downtown via Antioch Center

39 split into two. 39a, 39b. A serves 31st and Van Brunt, B serves shops at Blue Pkwy

35 to KU Med

MMAX to stay on Brookside, no Plaza jog (replaced by 40)

MAX to run 20 minutes in Sunday, 15 Saturday, 10 weekday.

New express 529. Replaces some trips on 229.

New route 252 from Liberty to Boardwalk Sq

New route 87 replaces 75 from 75th and Prospect to Holiday and Blue Ridge

18 to 75th and Prospect, 21 cut at Shops at Blue Ridge.

Edited by SilentSpades
Added info
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SilentSpades said:

HUGE CHANGES FROM RIDEKC NEXT

Takeaways

12 will replace all KCK service to downtown with 15-20 daytime service. 30 night service

47 no longer downtown. From KU Med to Shops at Blue Pkwy OR Blue Ridge Xing

31 to 3 trails every 30 min (short trips remain 15 min). Replaces 28 (I bet you tho 28 stays)

New route 40 replaces 47 on Broadway, 51, 52, 57 (this route really should be numbered 51). 

Northland routes 231, 233 and 234 combined into a new 239 from 64th/Prairie View to Downtown via Antioch Center

39 split into two. 39a, 39b. A serves 31st and Van Brunt, B serves shops at Blue Pkwy

35 to KU Med

MMAX to stay on Brookside, no Plaza jog (replaced by 40)

MAX to run 20 minutes in Sunday, 15 Saturday, 10 weekday.

New express 529. Replaces some trips on 229.

New route 252 from Liberty to Boardwalk Sq

New route 87 replaces 75 from 75th and Prospect to Holiday and Blue Ridge

18 to 75th and Prospect, 21 cut at Shops at Blue Ridge.

I wasn't expecting a full redesign of the system, mind blown away!

rkcn_fullmap_lg.png

9 minutes ago, RyanB_69 said:

I wasn't expecting a full redesign of the system, mind blown away!

rkcn_fullmap_lg.png

Honestly, I don't think there's a change I would make.

Besides keeping 28 and not bringing 31 all the way to Bannister. Oh and numbering the new route 40 as #51.

Besides that, that is a solid solid plan