Sign in to follow this  
SMS

Terminus Mansfield

Hey guys!

In perhaps one of the final acts of the AMT before its impending dissolution, a new temporary bus terminal with six platforms is in the process of development in downtown Montreal, diagonal from Terminus Centre-Ville (TCV). The terminal will be active only during weekdays.

The quadrilateral between Saint-Antoine on the north, Mansfield to the west, Saint-Jacques to the south, and the CN tracks to the east will be taken over by buses this fall. The private parking lot on these premises has been expropriated and the site is currently cordoned off. However it appears that the land is leased by AMT and not owned. 

No definite news yet of which transporters will be allowed there, but we can bet that the bus action on de la Gauchetiere will be moved there (Ville de Ste-Julie, CITVR, and RTL routes 86 & 87). Based from information on the link below, it is indeed possible that CITSO and CITHSL might stage a comeback adjacent to TCV! All the transporters with berths at TCV Quai Sud stand to gain from this new development.

We can hope that the extra capacity will permit increased service on routes that were hitherto hindered by capacity issues at TCV. The four layover zones will be extremely benficial because the neighbouring streets cannot handle the sheer volume of idling buses anymore.

The AMT threw in the term temporary (if CDPQ Infra has its way) but we all know how long temporary measures can last in this province (temporary bus lane on Champlain Bridge... temporary Autoroute 25 via Pie-IX Blvd...)

An outdoor bus terminal of this magnitude has not been seen in this area for almost 25 years.

Website (French only): https://www.amt.qc.ca/fr/actualites/projets/terminus-mansfield

News articles from 2014 (French only): http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/montreal/2014/06/09/003-gare-autobus-temporaire-centre-ville.shtml 

http://journalmetro.com/actualites/montreal/508284/lamt-veut-un-terminus-dautobus-temporaire-au-centre-ville/

Edited by SMS
  • Like 2

Terminus Mansfield opens tomorrow, Monday 14 November 2016

RTL will not be there. However the other CITs that got booted out of quai sud will have dedicated bays.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SMS said:

Terminus Mansfield opens tomorrow, Monday 14 November 2016

RTL will not be there. However the other CITs that got booted out of quai sud will have dedicated bays.

I'm rather surprised that Limocar and CITHSL are not listed as partners on the AMT page. I suppose the new terminus does not regroup TCV's René-Lévesque and La Gauchetière on-street services.

Shelters, shelters.

That terminus would be a badass termi if only located in, let's say, Los Angeles, where it "rains" one day per month or two . What's the use of this type of shelter, really, if not only for the sake of saying there's one? They look half-assed, so I'm just hoping they'll get wind and precipitation protection, not just shades.

Also, steel and concrete shelters for a temporary terminus; isn't that a bit overkill? Aluminium and plexyglas would have done the job.

I assume the glass will be installed at a later date (hopefully before the deep freeze). The cabins look like the ones in the smaller AMT terminuses like Repentigny.

It seems like the Terminus Mansfield has been adopted with great success. Passengers are using the new facility, there doesn't appear to be access problems. This has the added benefit of improving access to quai sud of TCV and permits us RTL drivers to get to quai nord easily.

• Like 3

Here we are the second week of the construction holiday where one would presume that everything would be calm in the world of transit. Not so! I don't do a lot of TCV anymore, but to my consternation, the past few days, buses especially around 740am have difficulty merely entering the terminal. Meanwhile the adjacent Terminus Mansfield was comparatively as dead as a doornail. Never more than two coach buses in there when I pass. At exactly the same time, CIT coaches are stopped and blocking us RTL guys because Quai Sud isn't clear. Yet another boondoggle signed AMT? Isn't Terminus Mansfield also supposed to address these concerns? It's really pathetic.

Something tells me that all of this is just adding fuel to the argument that the REM should replace the bus services to Bonaventure as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Recently, there has been so much traffic in the TCV environs that we have been given special permission to offload RTL buses at Terminus Mansfield (aka TCV 2). Since the routing was revised, the drivers were paid an extra hour for their trouble. It seems idiotic that we are forced to do a conga line to actual TCV when a perfectly good and EMPTY terminal is sitting right there unused. Drivers are not interested in having passengers breathe down their necks for ten minutes waiting to enter the terminal.

• Haha 1