This thread is about buses close to retirement, and more so, about when and where to see and ride them in their final days. Mostly this thread should focus on the GTA, however some buses are harder to find than others, and might be further away, so this thread is open to all sightings.

First question on this thread:

Where can one still ride Orion V's????

1 minute ago, TransitfanJas0n said:

Brampton Transit and YRT. DRT has one left.

Brampton only uses them on school specials 4/5 times....so I cant ever know when id get on. DRT told me they dont use theirs and that its just sitting in a lot now. As for YRT....NewFlyerInvero told me they'll be staying in service, know any routes I can catch them on? :)

Just now, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Brampton only uses them on school specials 4/5 times....so I cant ever know when id get on. DRT told me they dont use theirs and that its just sitting in a lot now. As for YRT....NewFlyerInvero told me they'll be staying in service, know any routes I can catch them on? :)

According to the wiki they're all based out of Southeast, but I don't live in the area so I don't know if they're restricted to any routes or not.

Just now, TransitfanJas0n said:

According to the wiki they're all based out of Southeast, but I don't live in the area so I don't know if they're restricted to any routes or not.

Yeah same, im from Oakville. I guess ill call them up sometime and post a reply here. Usually no one knows anything about this...the drivers just pick the first bus on the line and record it with dispatch. Hopefully YRT has enough of them that dispatch will have an idea.

Just now, yrt1000 said:

Just go to Finch terminal during rush hour. YRTs Vs are really only used on the express routes and some school specials, but you can also get lucky and find one at Richmond Hill Centre terminal

Oh great! Thanks! So I should around like 3-5pm? And I have a really good shot? Cause I dun wanna pay $12 each way to go see nothing :$

Saw a yrt Orion v on route 8 Kennedy on Friday. Unfortunately I didn't have time to ride it. 

Also, for anyone looking for TTC D40LF's that are retiring soon, your best bet is kipling station during rush hour, since there is multiple Queensway routes there, and you can see all buses entering from one spot in the terminal (unlike Islington). Another good place is Royal York and Norseman between 8:15 - 9:00 AM and between 2:40 and 3:20 PM due to all the trippers. I can let you know good spots to photograph them if you want.

Well this should be moved to the main section of the ontario part. Guelph is retiring the last of the 1997 LFS and the 2003s will begin soon. If memory serves the 3 97s and a 2003 or 2004 will be going too. 

On 6/14/2016 at 10:04 PM, H4 5600 said:

Saw a yrt Orion v on route 8 Kennedy on Friday. Unfortunately I didn't have time to ride it. 

Also, for anyone looking for TTC D40LF's that are retiring soon, your best bet is kipling station during rush hour, since there is multiple Queensway routes there, and you can see all buses entering from one spot in the terminal (unlike Islington). Another good place is Royal York and Norseman between 8:15 - 9:00 AM and between 2:40 and 3:20 PM due to all the trippers. I can let you know good spots to photograph them if you want.

I can attest to this about the D40LF's...I see them ALL the time at Kipling, and even Islington quite often too.

On 14/06/2016 at 8:42 PM, Orion V said:

Use this tracker as it shows you the bus number kind of like TTC's tracker.

http://www.yorkregiontransit.com/en/schedulesmaps/real-time-map.asp

I've seen them in the past month on those routes that people normally don't take such as 87, 86 and 83.

Hey, thanks for referring me to this app, but unlike Oakville Transit, it doesnt show me bus numbers, just routes numbers.

Oakville Transit: Real-Time by Clever Devices

Screenshot_2016-06-16-11-55-29.png

6 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Hey, thanks for referring me to this app, but unlike Oakville Transit, it doesnt show me bus numbers, just routes numbers.

Oakville Transit: Real-Time by Clever Devices

Screenshot_2016-06-16-11-55-29.png

You have to use the mouse to hover over the particular bus icon and it'll show you the bus number.

1 hour ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

It only shows the route, not the bus ID number. BUT luckily I DID catch 309 on Route 303 at 16:30! Yes!

See the black arrow in the attached picture? Hover the mouse over the particular bus and it shows you. In this particular case, it says C1419 meaning it's bus #1419.

Untitled.jpg

2 minutes ago, Orion V said:

See the black arrow in the attached picture? Hover the mouse over the particular bus and it shows you. In this particular case, it says C1419 meaning it's bus #1419.

Untitled.jpg

Hey thanks for the help, but I don't have that feature on my ASUS laptop or my GS4.....maybe its only on desktops...

For YRT Orion Vs they are mostly used on 300s express routes (300-304, not 360). Some trips on 301-304 AM trips will become 300 at Finch, and some 300 PM trips become 301-304. Based on my observation 303, 306, and 309 are still in service. When 220s and all 300s were around they could be found on 5, 21, 23, 26, 86,and 87. Very very rarely they get dispatched to some busy routes. Once I saw 227 on 4A.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, songsc said:

For YRT Orion Vs they are mostly used on 300s express routes (300-304, not 360). Some trips on 301-304 AM trips will become 300 at Finch, and some 300 PM trips become 301-304. Based on my observation 303, 306, and 309 are still in service. When 220s and all 300s were around they could be found on 5, 21, 23, 26, 86,and 87. Very very rarely they get dispatched to some busy routes. Once I saw 227 on 4A.

Yeah, I was told by 3 supervisors that MOST of the Orion V's are "here to stay" for a years to come! SO happy :D  And yes, I was also told by a supervisor that yes, the Orion V's are only used on the 300's now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, so second topic now:

WHERE CAN I RIDE ORION VI's???? They totally faded away real quick ehat seemed only 2yrs ago. Are there ANY Orion VI's I can go find and ride? :)  also, I post videos of my explorations and findings of said buses on YouTube, so I can leave links in the future when ive filmed a bus :)

9 minutes ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Far away :/  but good to know :)

Yes, Windsor still operates 11 VIs. I have no idea if they have ever been used on the Tunnel Bus though, if you happen to see a VI on the Tunnel Bus and have a passport then you can even say you've ridden an Orion VI in Detroit.

55 minutes ago, mattb816789 said:

Yes, Windsor still operates 11 VIs. I have no idea if they have ever been used on the Tunnel Bus though, if you happen to see a VI on the Tunnel Bus and have a passport then you can even say you've ridden an Orion VI in Detroit.

But if you were in Windsor and got on the tunnel bus, but then rode right back, wouldnt the border security be suspicious

20 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

WHERE CAN I RIDE ORION VI's????

16 hours ago, 900 Highway 2 said:

Cornwall and Windsor are probably the closest around the GTA

Kingston also has a few still in service, and Sault Ste. Marie has some ex-OC Transpo units if you don't mind travelling.

If you do have a passport, there are some ex-Albany Orion VI buses in service in Binghamton, NY.