Sign in to follow this  
DavidW

Jefferson Lines

DavidW   

It is widely expected that Jefferson lines will shortly announce they are returning to Winnipeg, with a regular schedule between Grand Forks and Winnipeg. It's expected to be less than daily.

• Like 1

DavidW   
14 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

How bad was the ridership when they dropped service?

I don't know, but it was widely understood that the reason the service was dropped was the high frequency of the bus being refused entry at the border. Northbound buses had to return to Grand Forks with the rejected passenger(s) before re-attempting to cross. Ditto for southbound buses having to return to Winnipeg for the same reason. It meant for a lot of extra miles, and many hours of schedule delays.

roeco   

THis will be kinda interesting...I wonder if they will run out of Winnipeg Greyhound?  Three days a week is probably all they need to do for sure.

DavidW   

In spite of their applying to the Manitoba Motor Transport Board for an operating authority around June 2016 Jefferson Lines has, as of the first week of October 2016, not initiated any service into Manitoba.

I wonder what happened.

On 6/8/2016 at 0:21 PM, DavidW said:

I don't know, but it was widely understood that the reason the service was dropped was the high frequency of the bus being refused entry at the border. Northbound buses had to return to Grand Forks with the rejected passenger(s) before re-attempting to cross. Ditto for southbound buses having to return to Winnipeg for the same reason. It meant for a lot of extra miles, and many hours of schedule delays.

Do bus lines have any legal responsibility to people who are refused entry?

DavidW   

Reportedly daily arriving in Winnipeg at 8:00PM and departing at 10:45PM. The bus will not overnight in Winnipeg as it used to.

• Like 1

DavidW   

I wonder if it's daily to start, until they see what the ridership is like and decide which days to keep... They appear to be starting out with some low fares too... I hear $20 between Winnipeg and Grand Forks.

https://www.jeffersonlines.com/travel-information/travel-to-canada/

Definitely looks like some sort of low fare promotion, was $25 from Minneapolis to Fargo to Winnipeg, but $38 from Minneapolis to Fargo on a trip I checked. I wonder if they have just one operator driving for the entire trip from Fargo to Winni and back to Fargo? Seems like that would be a fairly long shift, even though there would be a roughly 4 hour break between arrival and departure.

DavidW   

Jefferson Lines has arrived in Winnipeg. After an absence of approximately 8 years the bus service connection between Winnipeg and the United States has been restored.

winnipeg-JL1840-16Aug2017.thumb.jpg.c67dcb516f38906e2fbc1b2f0cbba50c.jpg

Jefferson Lines #1840 (2005 MCI J4500) arriving at the Greyhound bus station in Winnipeg 26 August 2017. 

• Like 1