New Winnipeg - Selkirk service

WpgBusDriver

I am glad that there will be travel options between Winnipeg and E. St. Paul, hoping that that community will have better access to transportation options besides private auto.

The web page for the schedule is not very intuitive though. Someone needs to work on that. $13.50 -- is that for a round trip or two-way Winnipeg-Selkirk? Doesn't say clearly.

On 03/11/2017 at 4:34 AM, LilZebra said:

The web page for the schedule is not very intuitive though. Someone needs to work on that. $13.50 -- is that for a round trip or two-way Winnipeg-Selkirk? Doesn't say clearly.

I read it that the one-way fare is $15 when paying cash to the driver. It seems like a bad move to eliminate monthly passes and the long-standing 20-ride ticket book. It is a commuter line after all, and most of their riders are high-frequency regulars.

I think $15 one-way is overpriced for a one-way ride from East St. Paul to Winnipeg though...

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

I think this third commercial abandonment should put the last nail in the coffin of the Selkirk commuter line as a self-supporting commercial operation.  

Either it's important enough to be publically supported financially like any other transit operation in North America, or it dies the death of market economics.

I suppose the City of Selkirk could decide to spend some of its tax revenue to operate the service (and if not them then who?). I doubt this Provincial government would offer even a nickle of help.

• Thanks 1

The big problem is is there just aren't enough people that want to take a bus between Selkirk and Winnipeg. I think when you are using Sprinter vans that hold about 10 people and you're not even filling that, then you don't really have enough passengers to make any money!

20 hours ago, WpgBusDriver said:

The big problem is is there just aren't enough people that want to take a bus between Selkirk and Winnipeg. I think when you are using Sprinter vans that hold about 10 people and you're not even filling that, then you don't really have enough passengers to make any money!

I personally think this kind of transit service CAN'T make money in this particular circumstance. I would note that more-or-less every transit system in North America doesn't make money. 

Exclusive and Kasper both increased fares. I believe Kasper is presently charging $30 for a round trip. That's $600/month for someone commuting to work weekdaily (plus $100 for a Winnipeg pass if work is not on Main Street or downtown). No wonder there are fewer passengers every month. 

I think that the monthly cost of a commuter line pass should be less than a Winnipeg Transit pass, so that buying both passes costs less than $200/month.

At those rates the commuter service would obviously have to be subsidized.

I understand the Manitoba Capital Region is still trying to pull together a Headingley bus service. I wonder what the fares would be for that...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

I eagerly await for the day when I can hop a CRT bus to Headingley and have an ice cream at the General Store.

I'm very curious to know if this pilot project will see the light of day. You might be disappointed though.  I suppose they could run inbound in the morning and outbound in the afternoon. That would mean you'd have to stay overnight to visit Headingley for ice cream :(.

I'd be even more curious to be a fly on the wall at Selkirk city hall.  Can Selkirk afford to launch a commuter bus to Winnipeg?

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎03 at 10:49 PM, LilZebra said:

I eagerly await for the day when I can hop a CRT bus to Headingley and have an ice cream at the General Store.

Winnipeg transit used to run a route between unicity and headingley back on the 70s, I wonder why it was discontinued 

6 hours ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

Winnipeg transit used to run a route between unicity and headingley back on the 70s, I wonder why it was discontinued 

It was discontinued 31 December 1992 when Headingley separated from Winnipeg and became its own municipality. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:56 PM, DavidW said:

I personally think this kind of transit service CAN'T make money in this particular circumstance. I would note that more-or-less every transit system in North America doesn't make money. 

Exclusive and Kasper both increased fares. I believe Kasper is presently charging $30 for a round trip. That's $600/month for someone commuting to work weekdaily (plus $100 for a Winnipeg pass if work is not on Main Street or downtown). No wonder there are fewer passengers every month. 

I think that the monthly cost of a commuter line pass should be less than a Winnipeg Transit pass, so that buying both passes costs less than $200/month.

At those rates the commuter service would obviously have to be subsidized.

I understand the Manitoba Capital Region is still trying to pull together a Headingley bus service. I wonder what the fares would be for that...

How much was Beaver's fare in the last year or so they ran the Selkirk service?

• 1 month later...

I am informed that Kasper Transportation has come to an agreement with the City of Selkirk to continue operating the Selkirk Commuter Line.  The agreement apparently includes lowering the fare and operating a bus instead of vans.  Hopefully more details will come to light...

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 1:44 PM, DavidW said:

I am informed that Kasper Transportation has come to an agreement with the City of Selkirk to continue operating the Selkirk Commuter Line.  The agreement apparently includes lowering the fare and operating a bus instead of vans.  Hopefully more details will come to light...

The notice of cancellation is removed from the gokasper.com website, and a new schedule and new fares are posted.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Kasper Transportation announced today (Tuesday 20 August 2019) that today would be its last day operating the Selkirk Commuter Line service between downtown Winnipeg and Selkirk, Manitoba.

That's not much notice of end of service. If no one leaps into service tomorrow then Wednesday will be the end of regular transit service between the two cities after about 111 years.

• Sad 1