New Winnipeg - Selkirk service

WpgBusDriver

Some notes from news articles (and more rumours)...

The operator, Exclusive Bus Lines, describes the service as a partnership with Selkirk Transit. I wonder if that means some kind of fare cooperation or transfer arrangements.

Exclusive also says the route will be different from what Beaver operated, although they don't go into details.  Apparently for one it will operate two-way on Portage Avenue, unlike Beav's inbound on Portage and outbound on Graham.

Fares will apparently be different (higher).  Service will reportedly be 15 minutes faster. Beaver took about 55 minutes from Balmoral Station to Beaver's Selkirk bus depot. 

I don't think Exclusive is buying or using the Beaver bus depot.

I heard Exclusive plans to use highway coaches on the route.

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

Some notes from news articles (and more rumours)...

The operator, Exclusive Bus Lines, describes the service as a partnership with Selkirk Transit. I wonder if that means some kind of fare cooperation or transfer arrangements.

Exclusive also says the route will be different from what Beaver operated, although they don't go into details.  Apparently for one it will operate two-way on Portage Avenue, unlike Beav's inbound on Portage and outbound on Graham.

Fares will apparently be different (higher).  Service will reportedly be 15 minutes faster. Beaver took about 55 minutes from Balmoral Station to Beaver's Selkirk bus depot. 

I don't think Exclusive is buying or using the Beaver bus depot.

I heard Exclusive plans to use highway coaches on the route.

I wonder how they figure that... a quick search on Google Maps shows that the trip between the two places in 40 minutes by car and that's with no traffic. How long were trips including the Lockport Loop?

The higher fares might be an issue, but if Selkirk is perhaps doing some sort of transfer system between the two it would help... although something between Winnipeg and the other two I could really see working... (but I guess another pipe dream).

Offering an "Express service" I guess is how they figure on a shorter trip time.

Selkirk Transit has 2 small buses and Exclusive has 1. Maybe something involving them? Exclusive does a lot of work with Winnipeg River Charters and they have a lot of school buses?

From the Free Press:

Selkirk-Winnipeg bus line saved

$columnist.titleBy: Alexandra Paul   
Posted: 06/4/2016 4:00 AM | Comments: 7

•  Tweet 13
  •  Post 1496
  •  Reddit 1
  •  ShareThis 1513
  •  Print
  •  Email 3

The Walt Morris Group of Companies is picking up the route Beaver Bus lines dropped with commuter service between Selkirk and Winnipeg.

The announcement Friday of a partnership between Exclusive Bus Lines and Selkirk Transit was released was made on Twitter.

The news came as welcome relief to Selkirk.

"People will be excited about that. There’s no other way of getting to Winnipeg from Selkirk unless you have a car," Selkirk resident Ian Kathwaroon said.

The owner of the Walt Morris Group of Companies, which includes Exclusive Bus Lines, said he’s delighted to have struck a partnership with Selkirk Transit to keep the service going.

"We are very excited, and we’re looking forward to this new endeavour," Walt Morris said in a phone interview.

The partnership will dovetail the existing transit service in Selkirk with the new commuter service to Winnipeg, Morris said.

"Two heads are better than one and it really helps to streamline the public transit with the commuter service, to make it easier for the ridership," Morris said.

The commuter service is due to start at the beginning of July, Morris said, adding he expected there would be no interruption in service.

"The schedule will come out very shortly," Morris said.

Beaver Bus Lines announced a couple of months ago it was the end of the line for its commuter service as of July 1. It runs a week-day service Monday to Friday between Winnipeg and Selkirk.

The biggest difference between the old service and the new one are the departure locations.

Riders currently catch the Beaver bus from at the Selkirk Bus Depot on Main Street. And in Winnipeg, commuters depart from the Balmoral Street and Ellice Avenue bus stop.

Exclusive Bus Lines will operate an express from Selkirk to St. Andrews which will go on directly to the downtown campus of the University of Winnipeg on Portage Avenue.

The Walt Morris Group of Companies is a transit and auto conglomerate in Winnipeg. It includes Winnipeg Dodge, Winnipeg Collision and Auto Glass, Winnipeg Auto-Spa, Winnipeg Rent-A-Car, Walt Morris Auto, Walt Morris Powersports, Red River Co-op Speedway and Exclusive Bus Lines.

From the SUN:

So Exclusive doesn't have a permit to start the service yet. Seems there's still a lot to do in less than a month if they plan to start service on July 1

Three Progressive Conservative MLAs are getting on board to find a plan to continue transit service between Selkirk and Winnipeg after one operator stops running routes next month.

Selkirk MLA Alan Lagimodiere, along with Jeff Wharton (Gimli) and Ron Schuler (St. Paul), are backing an Exclusive Bus Lines proposal that will continue service between the two cities after Beaver Bus Lines stops running routes on July 1.

Exclusive Bus Lines is awaiting approval from the Motor Transport Board on its licence for the service.

“The people of Selkirk and area have long depended on a regular, reliable transport link to Winnipeg. It improves economic and social links between the communities, reduces emissions and improves highway safety,” Lagimodiere said in a statement. “I am pleased that Exclusive Bus Lines has met its goal of being able to start the new service without any disruption to our community.”

Beaver Bus Lines had cited increased fuel costs and decreased ridership among the reasons it was forced to discontinue the service. 

They have more info on their website now

http://www.exclusivebuslines.com/selkirk-commuter-line/

14 hours ago, WpgBusDriver said:

They have more info on their website now

http://www.exclusivebuslines.com/selkirk-commuter-line/

Interesting. Same amount of trips as the current Beaver schedule, just an extra one southbound and one less northbound.

I wonder how they decided to insert the express trips. It doesn't seem to line up with anything on the Beaver schedule.

And the 700am trip and the 715am Express trip both arrive at the UofW at almost the same time. If classes at UofW start at 8am the Express  will be too late. Same for office people that usually start at 8am. And since the bus doesn't stop along Portage it must be geared for UofW students

Anyone know class times?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2016 at 9:07 PM, WpgBusDriver said:

And since the bus doesn't stop along Portage it must be geared for UofW students

That's what it looks like on the map, but according to the timetable, the morning express stops at Main & William, Main & Lombard, and Portage & Donald, and it's only the afternoon expresses that are nonstop all the way to Balmoral.

From FB page

Selkirk Commuter Line... UPDATES
We will be in Selkirk on Friday June 24 from 1:30pm- 6:30pm selling monthly passes and tickets. We will accept cash and credit card. We will be setting up at Walmart parking lot with our bus. If you miss us on Friday don't worry we will be there on Sat from 10:30-12:00 and then in Lockport from 12:30 - 2:00pm. Selkirk Transit will also be selling our tickets for us at 630 Sophia St, Selkirk, MB.

We have updated the schedule and made some changes that hopeful will make your commute better. Please make sure to have the UPDATE June 23, 2016. Keep the requests coming in. I hope to see you this weekend!!! 
Maisie Hicks 
General Manager 
204-888-4411
info@exclusivebuslines.com

The new bus stop on Balmoral at Ellice is installed and ready to go...

selkirk-EBLbusstop-2016Jul02daw90.jpg

5 hours ago, WpgBusDriver said:

Anyone go for last ride with Beaver?

Anyone going first first ride with Exclusive on Monday?

I made my last ride on Beaver to Selkirk and back on Wednesday the 22nd.  I caught the 9:30AM departure from Winnipeg at MTS Centre Station (Graham/Smith) at 9:35AM and arrived at Beaver's depot in Selkirk (Dufferin/Main) at 10:25AM.  After riding Selkirk Transit to and from Selkirk Crossing I caught the BBL 14:00 departure from Selkirk, arriving back in Winnipeg at Portage/Edmonton at 14:47.

I probably won't ride Exclusive on the first day, but I'll try and ride up to Selkirk and back some time this month.  I can't quite match the Beaver schedule though.  There's a departure from Winnipeg at 10AM but the first afternoon departure from Selkirk isn't until 16:00.  I'll have to find two hours more activities in Selkirk...

19 hours ago, DavidW said:

Note the window card reads "COMMUTER LINE" and "Winnipeg/Selkirk".

I wonder why Exclusive wouldn't have done more, to show that they're now running the Winnipeg-Selkirk route. For example, vinyl wraps (which they've done for the CN shuttle), a new paint scheme, non-cardboard destination signs, an advertising campaign...

1 hour ago, armorand said:

I wonder why Exclusive wouldn't have done more, to show that they're now running the Winnipeg-Selkirk route. For example, vinyl wraps (which they've done for the CN shuttle), a new paint scheme, non-cardboard destination signs, an advertising campaign...

Beaver stopped running the line because it wasn't profitable, why make it more expensive than it needs to be? The people who use that route very likely already know about the replacement service.

On 05/07/2016 at 5:21 PM, armorand said:

And because Exclusive only has a limited number of buses I don't think they would have the ability to dedicate 2 or3 buses just to the Selkirk/Winnipeg run

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2016 at 5:30 PM, DavidW said:

I made my last ride on Beaver to Selkirk and back on Wednesday the 22nd.  I caught the 9:30AM departure from Winnipeg at MTS Centre Station (Graham/Smith) at 9:35AM and arrived at Beaver's depot in Selkirk (Dufferin/Main) at 10:25AM.  After riding Selkirk Transit to and from Selkirk Crossing I caught the BBL 14:00 departure from Selkirk, arriving back in Winnipeg at Portage/Edmonton at 14:47.

Which bus(es) did you get?

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, horseman said:

BusRider, how was ridership?  Was the bus relatively full when you rode it?

I was on an afternoon trip starting in Winnipeg around 4pm. There looked to be about 15-20 people on the way to Selkirk and 3 on the way to Winnipeg.