36 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

I'm not sure how I would feel anout an XD40 in Toronto.  What other options would you suggest 

There are really not many options around these days for 40 foot diesels these days. NABI was acquired by New Flyer, and Daimler sunk Orion. Gillig and Van Hool are pretty much the only viable manufacturers outside of New Flyer and Nova Bus, but the chances of the TTC ever placing an order from them are next to 0. The XD40 would be a significant improvement over the Novas for various reasons.

The Novas have the roughest ride out of any bus i've ever been on in my life.

The D40LF and Orion Vs are more springy when going over bumps which I prefer, they don't feel hard going over bumps like the OG VIIs. It also doesn't help when an operator uses the rear doors to stop a bus, its a hard annoying rough stop and a pet peeve of mine.

1 hour ago, lip said:

There are really not many options around these days for 40 foot diesels these days. NABI was acquired by New Flyer, and Daimler sunk Orion. Gillig and Van Hool are pretty much the only viable manufacturers outside of New Flyer and Nova Bus, but the chances of the TTC ever placing an order from them are next to 0. The XD40 would be a significant improvement over the Novas for various reasons.

The Novas have the roughest ride out of any bus i've ever been on in my life.

I know Alexander Dennis is a long shot, but they have a better chance than Van Hool. Do they at least assemble part of the single deck bus in Vaughan?

I'm also looking at some of the Friendly wheel trans buses, and surprise to see a good amount of them with rust showing already.  So those will need replacement or some serious work done on them. its not like all the Elfs are gone yet. Hopefully they replace the community buses with 3oft buses are light duties similar to the MIDIs or Eldorados

On 26/10/2016 at 8:56 PM, 110B West Pickering said:

I'm not sure how I would feel anout an XD40 in Toronto.  What other options would you suggest 

The position of the driver seat and front door is poor. Good luck if you have neck problems. Plus I can't even see over the driver compartment lower shield. So slow off the line not to mention the doors but we'll see what happens with those once the warranty is up. I'd rather drive a 7300.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

From TTC.ca the planned award date is next year Jan 17 2017.

McNicoll Bus Garage Design Build is Dec 21 2016

Congrats!!!. I live nearby around 15 minutes from my home :)

TTC to get 245 Nova Buses in 2017 and 40 in 2018. With options up to 285 buses for later approval. Looks like they will replace both Orion VII Diesel Series 1201(which are the 7400 series) and Hybrid VII buses.

2017 to 2018 Buses

This is not to get mixed up between the RFI that will be awarded on Jan 17th 2107.

Also New

Proposed Acquisition of Property for TTC Bus Operations

There was some document somewhere talking of a property on Markham Rd, but it could be an option.

1 hour ago, FlyerD901 said:

TTC to get 245 Nova Buses in 2017 and 40 in 2018. With options up to 285 buses for later approval. Looks like they will replace both Orion VII Diesel Series 1201(which are the 7400 series) and Hybrid VII buses.

2017 to 2018 Buses

This is not to get mixed up between the RFI that will be awarded on Jan 17th 2107.

Also New

Proposed Acquisition of Property for TTC Bus Operations

There was some document somewhere talking of a property on Markham Rd, but it could be an option.

Looks like the east end will soon to filled with novas too. TTC will have 595 standard length novas by 2018.

So they decided to retire all the slowboxes in 2017/18 while moving the retirement of the majority of the hybrids to 2018/19.

I wonder what fleet number will they use now. The 97 bus order is using 8620-8716. 245 buses for 2017 could use 8720-8964 but the 40 more in 2018 will overlap the artics. If TTC changes the 97 buses to not skip numbers from the current order, then they can fit everything in with the 285th bus being 8999. We'll see the next contract use a different range if it doesn't happen in this procurement.

With that news in hand, i'm just going to assume that the Jan 2017 RFI will be awarded to Nova. This is some really unfortunate news, I feel sorry for all drivers and riders alike.

2 hours ago, lip said:

With that news in hand, i'm just going to assume that the Jan 2017 RFI will be awarded to Nova. This is some really unfortunate news, I feel sorry for all drivers and riders alike.

Doesn't mean it's set in stone. It'll take some time for TTC to forge a relationship with a supplier. In the meanwhile, TTC wants to spend all the money available from the PTIF for projects before March 31, 2018. The only bus contract right now is with nova. The RFI would be too late to take advantage of the PTIF.

If you read the document, TTC does say it hurts the steadily procurement process. The RFI schedule:

Post Request For Information (RFI) Oct. 2016 – Completed 

Meet With Proponents/Spec Development Nov. 2016 

Post Request For Proposal (RFP) Jan. 2017 

Close Tender Mar. 2017 

Approval of Board Report Jun. 2017 

Award Contract Aug. 2017 

Commence Bus Delivery 2018 – Schedule TBD

15 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Looks like the east end will soon to filled with novas too. TTC will have 595 standard length novas by 2018.

So they decided to retire all the slowboxes in 2017/18 while moving the retirement of the majority of the hybrids to 2018/19.

I wonder what fleet number will they use now. The 97 bus order is using 8620-8716. 245 buses for 2017 could use 8720-8964 but the 40 more in 2018 will overlap the artics. If TTC changes the 97 buses to not skip numbers from the current order, then they can fit everything in with the 285th bus being 8999. We'll see the next contract use a different range if it doesn't happen in this procurement.

So the 7400s will be gone by 2018 which is a bit of a surprise. I still remember the first time I rode one, and saying to myself how horrible the exterior red stripe was applied past the rear doors, and the design of the HVAC cover, and years later I got use to it.

For unit numbers, renumber the 9000 to something else, not sure why they put the artics in the 9000 series in the first place, and continue on with the 9000s.

• Like 1

Two questions:

1. Where does the Toronto Star get the 800 buses in two years number from?

2. Why could vehicle numbers not start at 1900 or 2000 when 8999 is reached?  I'm presuming 4610+ are streetcars and 3030+ are LRT.

Why would they renumber anything?!? By doing that they're creating more work for themselves, and needlessly so.

At the end of the day, so long as the number on the outside isn't the same as that of any other vehicle, it doesn't matter what the number is. Maybe they'll be numbered into the 2000s. It really is of no consequence.

Dan

• Like 1

16 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Two questions:

1. Where does the Toronto Star get the 800 buses in two years number from?

2. Why could vehicle numbers not start at 1900 or 2000 when 8999 is reached?  I'm presuming 4610+ are streetcars and 3030+ are LRT.

This chart clear shows that 667 buses will be delivered in 2017 and 2018.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/November_30/Reports/12_PAA_-_Purchase_285.pdf#page=14

The 10 remaining bus for the current order has been forwarded to this year. (as expected) The chart also says 76 of the current order is being funded by PTIF instead of the approved TTC capital budget.

14 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

As of right now, the first of the new buses should be here by May 2017. With the new livery.

New livery.....?  Are they going to be harmonizing to the same scheme as the new streetcars?

1 hour ago, sdgta2008 said:

New livery.....?  Are they going to be harmonizing to the same scheme as the new streetcars?

Courtesy of Brad Ross:

It will be 97 buses plus the 245 that was approved for delivery in 2017. Then 40 will come in 2018. After that in 2018 it will be another set of buses from the RFI right now.

Lots of buses, hopefully TTC gets a bus from another supplier.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2016 at 4:43 AM, FlyerD901 said:

If you read the document, TTC does say it hurts the steadily procurement process. The RFI schedule:

Post Request For Information (RFI) Oct. 2016 – Completed 

Meet With Proponents/Spec Development Nov. 2016 

Post Request For Proposal (RFP) Jan. 2017 

Close Tender Mar. 2017 

Approval of Board Report Jun. 2017 

Award Contract Aug. 2017 

Commence Bus Delivery 2018 – Schedule TBD

So the 7400s will be gone by 2018 which is a bit of a surprise. I still remember the first time I rode one, and saying to myself how horrible the exterior red stripe was applied past the rear doors, and the design of the HVAC cover, and years later I got use to it.

For unit numbers, renumber the 9000 to something else, not sure why they put the artics in the 9000 series in the first place, and continue on with the 9000s.

Damn. I figured those would have lasted until the 20s