Future TTC Bus Orders

FlyerD901

42 minutes ago, MK78 said:

I'm curious if the ongoing parts/electronics shortage will affect bus manufacturing. The TTC's last orders were finished just before the pandemic hit.

Most certainly.  Here is a quote from NFI press release (Sep 20):

Paul Soubry, President and CEO, NFI, said. "During recent weeks, we have experienced a rapid deterioration in availability of critical parts, components and chassis caused primarily by increasing global supply chain challenges that have created bottlenecks and disruptions across the entire industry. These disruptions have significantly increased since our earnings announcement on August 4, 2021, and we have experienced decreased key parts allocation to NFI from certain suppliers.

"In response to these disruptions, we have made the prudent, yet difficult, decision to temporarily reduce new vehicle input rates through the additional idling of certain facilities and adjusting production in others. These temporary actions will assist in controlling costs and preserving cash flows until supply availability and delivery reliability improve. We anticipate that the general seasonality of our business combined with these mitigation efforts will result in significant cash flow in the fourth quarter, with projected year-ending liquidity of more than $400 million. In addition, we are fortunate that the majority of the vehicles impacted by these disruptions will not result in lost sales as most are contractually sold and are now planned for delivery in 2022.

NFI expects the supply chain challenges to continue throughout the first half of 2022.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Most certainly.  Here is a quote from NFI press release (Sep 20):
NFI expects the supply chain challenges to continue throughout the first half of 2022.

Yeah, makes sense... TTC's orders probably will arrive in 2023, so hopefully by then everything will get sorted.

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

I'm curious if the ongoing parts/electronics shortage will affect bus manufacturing. The TTC's last orders were finished just before the pandemic hit.

New Flyer completed MiWays order during 2020-21 with no issue which I know and ontime.

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

Yeah, makes sense... TTC's orders probably will arrive in 2023, so hopefully by then everything will get sorted.

Well, def tank sending units were on back order from Cummins for months, even the US military was short. Suffice it to say you can’t finish a bus without a functioning def system. There could be dozens of other examples.

Hogan GM next door to malvern still has zero inventory….although strangely the Dodge dealer on its west side is business as usual.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SpadinaAve2134 said:

New Flyer completed MiWays order during 2020-21 with no issue which I know and ontime.

Maybe they still had a supply of all the necessary parts, or had the parts committed in their parts chain.

It's like what happened to Ford, in the early day of the pandemic they shut down production and thought the demand would be low, and cancelled a bunch of orders for their computers (i'm generalizing) and when they wanted to restart the production because the demand was very high, they already lost their place in line so to speak.