Welcome to the updated CPTDB!

If you prefer an older theme, you can change it back by scrolling to the very bottom and clicking on "Theme" on the bottom right. However, you can also change the background color/image by clicking on the "photo icon" in the black bar with your username at the top of the page.

Click the X on the top right of this box to dismiss this message.

10 hours ago, BYD said:

With Wilson and Arrow Road overcapacity, can't they use Mount Dennis or Birchmount's dead yard for temporary storage as well as the dormant Danforth? 

With the possible exception of Birchmount, every single division is greatly over its rated capacity.

Danforth is not an option, as the facility is being used for other purposes.

Dan

Per Steve Munro's Twitter:
https://twitter.com/swanboatsteve/status/1126173428829044736?s=12&fbclid=IwAR3wSy6pAuMuuoLLG05M103F_03W-Qa-SON0E_nl4qwu0QAn9Gv1TUK0xN4

Thanks to quality and delivery problems, ttc will not exercise the 10 bus add-on option for their electric bus contract with BYD. (1/2)

(2/2) That company made a sales pitch at length under the guise of a "deputation" but their reps had the feel of bad used car salesmen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good , and With Flyer already here hopefully they win.  But with the cut of the gas funding this whole all-green fleet may not even happen?

8 minutes ago, FlyerD901 said:

Good , and With Flyer already here hopefully they win.  But with the cut of the gas funding this whole all-green fleet may not even happen?

And possibly the XDE40S and XDE60S 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

And possibly the XDE40S and XDE60S 

Calm down Jugo. Let the TTC decide whats going to be ordered.

1 hour ago, FlyerD901 said:

And other foaming possibilities....

Yep cause they ruin everything and dont care. They only get offended when called out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Where did Steve Munro get this information?

Probably just ask the TTC like he usually does. He has his contacts

33 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

He is also an employee through my understanding

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Basket said:

He is also an employee through my understanding

Then your understanding is wrong.

Steve Munro is well known as an independent blogger. He does not work for the TTC, but is well known and respected enough to be able to have direct contact with many of the higher-ups and the communication department.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Articulated said:

Then your understanding is wrong.

Steve Munro is well known as an independent blogger. He does not work for the TTC, but is well known and respected enough to be able to have direct contact with many of the higher-ups and the communication department.

Ahh, no wonder i messaged him about the ALRV surviving date and he told me to ask the ttc myself or wait till the end of 2019...

6 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

Where did Steve Munro get this information?

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It was mentioned at the Board Meeting today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Novabusfan_2004 said:

I know this is kinda of a dumb question but will ttc keep ordering nova HEV past 2019 or will they order only electric from now on. I’m just wondering

This batch is just for testing. There will be diesels ordered for years to come.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

This batch is just for testing. There will be diesels ordered for years to come.

The TTC is aiming to have an emissions free fleet by 2040, so I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Novabusfan_2004 said:

I know this is kinda of a dumb question but will ttc keep ordering nova HEV past 2019 or will they order only electric from now on. I’m just wondering

If I remember correctly, any procurements past 2025 will be only electric buses. Between now and then, hybrids, hybrid artics, and more electric buses will most likely be ordered. The chance of the TTC going back to diesel is very slim at the moment.

30 minutes ago, Shemar said:

If I remember correctly, any procurements past 2025 will be only electric buses. Between now and then, hybrids, hybrid artics, and more electric buses will most likely be ordered. The chance of the TTC going back to diesel is very slim at the moment.

Of course, all of this is still academic. They need to get the higher level of funding required to purchase the electric buses, as well as the not-inconsequential funding required to modify all of the divisions to handle electric buses and the requisite modifications to the electrical system. None of that has been approved by the City yet, just put into the TTC's capital budget outlooks.

And what happens if their testing reveals that electric buses aren't that superior to the diesels or hybrids at this point in time, at least not enough to justify their higher cost?

Dan

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

The TTC is aiming to have an emissions free fleet by 2040, so I wouldn't count on it.

The electric buses aren't proven reliable for Toronto yet, so for the time being, it's safe to say that some diesel-burning buses (which includes hybrids) will be ordered.

1 hour ago, Shemar said:

What I meant by "diesels" included hybrids.

56 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Of course, all of this is still academic. They need to get the higher level of funding required to purchase the electric buses, as well as the not-inconsequential funding required to modify all of the divisions to handle electric buses and the requisite modifications to the electrical system. None of that has been approved by the City yet, just put into the TTC's capital budget outlooks.

While we can hope for electric buses being only ordered in the near future, there is still some work to be done, so for the time being, at least, you can count on some diesel burning buses being ordered.

1 minute ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

The electric buses aren't proven reliable for Toronto yet, so for the time being, it's safe to say that some diesel-burning buses (which includes hybrids) will be ordered.

What I meant by "diesels" included hybrids.

While we can hope for electric buses being only ordered in the near future, there is still some work to be done, so for the time being, at least, you can count on some diesel burning buses being ordered.

You're not even from Toronto so how would you know?

2 minutes ago, 7575 said:

I would think it's going to be typical of any agency, where ever you are.

The electric bus is new technology, and it' relatively safe to assume that they will be tested over time to make sure that they are worth the effort to continue purchasing.

Here, in Buffalo, we're planning on getting a few electric powered buses to test out before jumping into it, full force.  We did the same in the 1990's  when we made our first attempt at CNG buses, which (at the time) were not perfected.  Fast forward over twenty years later, and the reliability factor has improved to a point that we began purchasing them in smaller batches.  We're nearly at 80 buses powered by CNG, but are still ordering diesel to be cautious.

I would hate to see the TTC end up with a heavy fraction of the buses removed from service because of issues that were not investigated into early enough.  It's bad enough trying to catch buses at the present time, along busy routes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, 7575 said:

First of all, Toronto hasn't done any long-term electric bus testing. Also, no one in their right mind would fully invest in something based on the results of one week of (summer) testing. How will these hold up in -35? There are buses up for retirement both currently and in the near future, and they need replacements. The results from the electric bus testing won't be out in time (note that this is just an assumption).

There hasn't been any other testing in similar cities with similar conditions (New York's are still fairly new, and Edmonton's route 9 doesn't have comparable ridership)

Edit: Forgot about Vancouver, but not only are they not in service yet, they also have completely different technology

Edited by Imgursdownvote4love
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Don’t forget they used to have trolleybuses till 1993, unless they want to bring them back 

9 minutes ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Don’t forget they used to have trolleybuses till 1993, unless they want to bring them back 

Since you may be familiar with them, were the trolley buses as accepted as the beloved streetcar?

I would assume the overhead wiring was almost identical to the streetcars, correct?

IMO, it just doesn't look as understandable as a streetcar using it.

6 hours ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

Since you may be familiar with them, were the trolley buses as accepted as the beloved streetcar?

I would assume the overhead wiring was almost identical to the streetcars, correct?

IMO, it just doesn't look as understandable as a streetcar using it.

From my understanding, no. It was about as hated as Edmonton's.

10 hours ago, Shemar said:

Just remember Ford just slashed TTC's additional capital funding they don't even know if they can afford anymore buses in the next decade nevermind electric buses. Right now those artics they are going to order in 2021 are in jeopardy. We might not see any new buses in the next few years unless John Tory decides property tax needs to hiked.

• Like 1