Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The biggest part of this story has got to be the steady state procurement policy that TTC is brining forward. How this isn't a standard budgetary and operational norm for late transit agencies is appalling. Toronto has at least had some similarities and longitudinal orders in pet, and this will be even better to create a cost effective standardized fleet. 

 

In Vancouver every new acquisition is an exercise in rewriting requirements and buying something almost inevitably out of sync with the rest of the the fleet. 

 

Im quite jealous! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dane said:

The biggest part of this story has got to be the steady state procurement policy that TTC is brining forward. How this isn't a standard budgetary and operational norm for late transit agencies is appalling. Toronto has at least had some similarities and longitudinal orders in pet, and this will be even better to create a cost effective standardized fleet. 

 

In Vancouver every new acquisition is an exercise in rewriting requirements and buying something almost inevitably out of sync with the rest of the the fleet. 

 

Im quite jealous! 

TTC finally realized that the traditional way isn't good. It would be easier to budget too with a constant portion going towards buses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016. 5. 7. at 7:32 PM, jordankcw said:

YRT took a bit of an odd route, they didn't have a rear window for their 2014 XD40s but they got a rear window for their 2015 LFS, that followed the 2013 VIVA LFSA order that had windows, seems like the windows is more of a per transit authority choice and if they have the budget for it

 

2013 LFSA got rear window because they are Viva (BRT) bus. I think for conventional buses 2015 LFSes are first batch have rear windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2016 at 1:53 AM, FlyerD901 said:

Other transit systems don't order buses with rear windows anymore. MT, HSR, Brampton all had buses with rear windows and are now getting buses without them. Both NFI and Nova.

 

With talk of more Federal funding I wonder if TTC will fast forward retirement of other buses? TTC was planning on going with this type of procurement before the federal funding was announced.

 

Uhhh, MiWay's buses from 2013 onwards have been ordered with rear windows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2016 at 7:09 PM, MiWay0310 said:

Uhhh, MiWay's buses from 2013 onwards have been ordered with rear windows. 

I said that already...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The EOI closed today at 4pm. There was only two companies that showed up in the document request list, none of which were NFI or Nova, not sure if that means anything or not. Hopefully before summer or in the next month more info is brought out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

https://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/May_31/Reports/19_PAA_Purchase_97_Forty_Foot_Low_Floor_Clean_Diesel_City_Bu.pdf

TTC is looking to approve additional 97 buses for the year 2017. and the current EOI, was to create more competition. 

I read the information about retirement from PDF. It will be replaced by 50 New Flyers and 10 Orion VII Diesel Hybrid buses when they are retired. I guess the entire TTC fleet buses will be NOVA buses in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sutharsan said:

I read the information about retirement from PDF. It will be replaced by 50 New Flyers and 10 Orion VII Diesel Hybrid buses when they are retired. I guess the entire TTC fleet buses will be NOVA buses in the future.

Umm no...

a.) After the current Nova Bus contract is complete, it is still not 100% certain that the TTC will procure another batch of buses from NovaBus again (although it is entirely plausible that they will do so again) and;

b.) The last Orion bus was acquired in 2012, meaning that the fleet will be mixed until at least 2026 (unless there is a change in plans or the buses have some kind of serious issue)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, lip said:

Umm no...

a.) After the current Nova Bus contract is complete, it is still not 100% certain that the TTC will procure another batch of buses from NovaBus again (although it is entirely plausible that they will do so again) and;

b.) The last Orion bus was acquired in 2012, meaning that the fleet will be mixed until at least 2026 (unless there is a change in plans or the buses have some kind of serious issue)

 

We can actually have another year of Novas after this one. Nova Bus would offer firm pricing for the 2018 order too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2016 at 5:57 AM, Sutharsan said:

I read the information about retirement from PDF. It will be replaced by 50 New Flyers and 10 Orion VII Diesel Hybrid buses when they are retired. I guess the entire TTC fleet buses will be NOVA buses in the future.

wow interestingly to know about the early retirement of those Orion VII hybrid buses, which should be the 1000's series dated back to 2006..............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would they retire the 2006 series, when they've just spent the last few months rebuilding them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PCC Guy said:

Why would they retire the 2006 series, when they've just spent the last few months rebuilding them?

They aren't. He just cooked that up. There are some NGs that are physically dead which would be "officially" retired on paper so a replacement can be bought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The order has been approved. There was also some talks about how they'll spend that $840m of feds funds in a short period of time and the chair hopes it could be spent on replacements for more early retirements of the hybrids. If that ever happens, we might even see more Novas on the street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Josh Colle actually said they wanted to replace the hybrids? That's good to hear! Its better when a member from council wants to get rid of them than it being a recommendation from TTC. its like there more meaning and will behind it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully TTC orders something with AC that works properly, unlike our current Orion vii's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlyerD901 said:

Josh Colle actually said they wanted to replace the hybrids? That's good to hear! Its better when a member from council wants to get rid of them than it being a recommendation from TTC. its like there more meaning and will behind it.

Yeah, he's in favour of more bus procurement and understands the hybrids are trash.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, H4 5600 said:

Hopefully TTC orders something with AC that works properly, unlike our current Orion vii's.

Please don't bash all the VII's. Like Alex said, it depends on the division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

Hopefully TTC orders something with AC that works properly, unlike our current Orion vii's.

How many threads will you post this in?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

Hopefully TTC orders something with AC that works properly, unlike our current Orion vii's.

I haven't driven an Arrow Orion VII without AC yet, they fail sometimes that needs to turn off and on to kick in, because of new buses we got and they have enough time to fix older buses at garage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

If that ever happens, we might even see more Novas on the street.

If they keep going with Novas, they better use a different seating layout in the back.

I honestly dont know where they have been getting their seating arrangement ideas for the past 3-4 years from (specifically with the Flexities and 40 foot Novas). They should take a close look at the seating arrangement Brampton uses with their newer Nova buses and go with something similar if they are that confused as to what to do. If they cant (for whatever odd reasoning they have) get it right, it's time to acquire the XD40. Enough with the experiments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×