Future TTC Bus Orders

FlyerD901

20 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

It would make sense if most of the new artics went to Mount Dennis, as that division was made to handle large numbers of Artics and because there's quite a few routes that operate out of that division that need artics but only the high priority ones get them due to the limited number of artics the ttc has. Currently, only 29/929/329 Dufferin, 320 yonge and 941 Keele Express use the Artics. They still need more so they can run them on 35/935 and 927 H27 Express which i believe was the intended reason for switching 35 and 927 to Mount Dennis (apart from the obvious reshuffle after Mcnicoll opened). I am almost positive that it'll be Hybrid Novas as it makes sense to make all of the buses across the network come from the same make so that maintenance is cheaper and easier. As for the eBuses, it'll probably be new flyer. I actually don't know how the recieving deliveries works. I remember when the Hybrid Novas first arrived, they went to Arrow for some kind of certification before being transferred to Malvern. I've seen that any new artics would go to malvern at least initially. Anyway, 2022 will be an exciting year for the ttc and obtaining a new fleet of buses to retire the troublesome hybrid orions though i'll be sad to see the OG diesels and even the NG diesels go.

Also the NG diesels aren’t retiring next year

On 9/15/2021 at 10:42 AM, Genius101 said:

Queensway should get a portion of the new delivery, even if it's just 20 buses I'll be satisfied with that. 

TTC doesn't care what you're satisfied with. They do what makes sense to them. And putting hybrids at queensway doesn't make sense when diesel buses are available. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lifty4ever said:

Really? Since when? It makes sense. i heard the 927 was breaking all the Orion hybrids. Presumably they may switch back when the new artics arrive

This board (Sep 5th 2021) was when 927 was changed back to Arrow in exchange for 45/945

3 hours ago, Shemar said:

The hybrid artics that Mount Dennis gets next year along with Malvern's diesel artics if they move to Mount Dennis will be enough for Jane to go fully artic. That would be approximately 50-55 artics (diesel/hybrid) going to Mount Dennis.

That would be greatly needed. Insane Jane is pretty bad and it looks like its getting worse with more and more reasons for people to travel to and on Jane. It's needed artics for a good while now. Since 2011 actually. Jane needs some of the love to deal with the overcrowding

30 minutes ago, 7749 said:

This board (Sep 5th 2021) was when 927 was changed back to Arrow in exchange for 45/945

Interesting trade. Doesn't make logistical sense but it makes sense if 927 kept breaking all the older buses of the fleet. Buses most of which were notoriously unreliable 

7 hours ago, Young said:

Also the NG diesels aren’t retiring next year

Never said they were but they will eventually be replaced by the new hybrids

9 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Interesting trade. Doesn't make logistical sense but it makes sense if 927 kept breaking all the older buses of the fleet. Buses most of which were notoriously unreliable 

Never said they were but they will eventually be replaced by the new hybrids

From the planning reports, there's only 1 batch of hybrids (60ft and 40ft) coming. From a rough calculation, there are definitely not enough to replace the NG diesels since the OG diesel, OG hybrid and NG hybrid all will go before the NG diesels.

As of now their actual replacement will be the electric bus batch that comes after the hybrid batch. So the NG diesels won't be replaced by the new hybrids.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Eren Jaeger said:

Looks like the contract for the new buses will be awarded on Thursday, January 6, 2022 after the holiday break.

Do you have a link to this info?

3 hours ago, Shemar said:

I heard that it will most likely be going to nova in which I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Where are you hearing this from? Or is this just speculation?

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 6:54 AM, Eren Jaeger said:

Looks like the contract for the new buses will be awarded on Thursday, January 6, 2022 after the holiday break.

The original plan was for the TTC to award the contract for the hybrids in Q3 2021 which has now passed and to award the contract for the electrics in Q4 2021 or in Q1 2022

10 minutes ago, Shemar said:

The original plan was for the TTC to award the contract for the hybrids in Q3 2021 which has now passed and to award the contract for the electrics in Q4 2021 or in Q1 2022

How many buses are on order? And will they arrive during the summer? Or the fall?

1 hour ago, SpadinaAve2134 said:

How many buses are on order? And will they arrive during the summer? Or the fall?

We will find out after the contract has been awarded. Not until then.

Production and delivery dates will likely only be finalized after staff finalize the contract with the manufacturer; they won't guarantee space on their production lines for buses they aren't sure they would be building.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, MK78 said:

I'm curious if the ongoing parts/electronics shortage will affect bus manufacturing. The TTC's last orders were finished just before the pandemic hit.

Most certainly.  Here is a quote from NFI press release (Sep 20):

Paul Soubry, President and CEO, NFI, said. "During recent weeks, we have experienced a rapid deterioration in availability of critical parts, components and chassis caused primarily by increasing global supply chain challenges that have created bottlenecks and disruptions across the entire industry. These disruptions have significantly increased since our earnings announcement on August 4, 2021, and we have experienced decreased key parts allocation to NFI from certain suppliers.

"In response to these disruptions, we have made the prudent, yet difficult, decision to temporarily reduce new vehicle input rates through the additional idling of certain facilities and adjusting production in others. These temporary actions will assist in controlling costs and preserving cash flows until supply availability and delivery reliability improve. We anticipate that the general seasonality of our business combined with these mitigation efforts will result in significant cash flow in the fourth quarter, with projected year-ending liquidity of more than $400 million. In addition, we are fortunate that the majority of the vehicles impacted by these disruptions will not result in lost sales as most are contractually sold and are now planned for delivery in 2022.

NFI expects the supply chain challenges to continue throughout the first half of 2022.

1 minute ago, Mike said:

Most certainly.  Here is a quote from NFI press release (Sep 20):
NFI expects the supply chain challenges to continue throughout the first half of 2022.

Yeah, makes sense... TTC's orders probably will arrive in 2023, so hopefully by then everything will get sorted.

2 hours ago, MK78 said:

I'm curious if the ongoing parts/electronics shortage will affect bus manufacturing. The TTC's last orders were finished just before the pandemic hit.

New Flyer completed MiWays order during 2020-21 with no issue which I know and ontime.

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

Yeah, makes sense... TTC's orders probably will arrive in 2023, so hopefully by then everything will get sorted.

Well, def tank sending units were on back order from Cummins for months, even the US military was short. Suffice it to say you can’t finish a bus without a functioning def system. There could be dozens of other examples.

Hogan GM next door to malvern still has zero inventory….although strangely the Dodge dealer on its west side is business as usual.

• Like 1