Future TTC Bus Orders

FlyerD901

6 hours ago, Articulated said:

There's some extremely questionable and misleading info in that article, so I wouldn't take it at face value.

However... it's possible that TTC put extra options into their XE40 contract. New Flyer was the first one to sign an expansion order with TTC once the eBus pilot was expanded from 30 to 60 buses; it is entirely possible that TTC put in up to 40 buses in case they were not able to come to terms with BYD or Proterra for extra buses, or if delivery timelines could not be met. For example, five units from the XE40 options were used when the BYD order was cut back to 10 units. However, the article seems to be confusing the fact that "options" does not mean firm orders or commitments, and 25 buses from a 40 is a little over "half".

For clarity to people who didn't open the article: the 110 new buses are cutaways for Wheel-Trans from Arboc, not full-sized transit buses. I'm curious if that includes the option for 90 that was part of receiving the pilot bus W700 last year, which means it's just 20 more on top of that.

Can we trust the media for facts when they can't even proofread half their articles. Checking for accurately would be 10x the effort of what they already can't do.

1 hour ago, Chris.A said:

How are the BYD EV buses holding up for the TTC?

1 hour ago, G.A said:

Normally isn't more than 4 on the road at a time.

I’ve noticed over the last couple of weeks that 3751, 3754, and 3756 are the regulars. 3751 seems to be the golden child of the TTC’s BYD fleet.

Speaking of 3751, it was the sole BYD in service today on 91 Woodbine.

34 minutes ago, TTC7447 said:

I’ve noticed over the last couple of weeks that 3751, 3754, and 3756 are the regulars. 3751 seems to be the golden child of the TTC’s BYD fleet.

Speaking of 3751, it was the sole BYD in service today on 91 Woodbine.

3751, 54, 55, 59 are the ones that have seen service over the past week or two according to Transsee.

3756, 57 were last in service during the last week of June, the rest haven't seen service for longer than that. However, I think 3758 is back on the testing circuit and therefore will not be tracking in revenue service (yet is functional).

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

3751, 54, 55, 59 are the ones that have seen service over the past week or two according to Transsee.

3756, 57 were last in service during the last week of June, the rest haven't seen service for longer than that. However, I think 3758 is back on the testing circuit and therefore will not be tracking in revenue service (yet is functional).

So I guess TTC will be going with XE40s from here on out?

24 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

So I guess TTC will be going with XE40s from here on out?

No one knows until it has been finalized. They have the Proterra fleet as well. And there is the possibility of Nova in the future.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2016 at 7:32 PM, jordankcw said:

YRT took a bit of an odd route, they didn't have a rear window for their 2014 XD40s but they got a rear window for their 2015 LFS, that followed the 2013 VIVA LFSA order that had windows, seems like the windows is more of a per transit authority choice and if they have the budget for it

It closes in two weeks, but they'll still need to review everything. So we won't find out till probably fall, the earliest. 

On 7/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Articulated said:

3756 is being used for testing along with 3707 and 3729. I spotted the convoy twice this week in the west end along Jane and Steeles.

13 hours ago, wil9402 said:

3756 is being used for testing along with 3707 and 3729. I spotted the convoy twice this week in the west end along Jane and Steeles.

Thanks for the update. I noticed that 3758 has been back in revenue service this past week as well, which is a bit of a rare occurrence for it...

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Eren Jaeger said:

According to the TTC's Tender Responses page, the bid was closed on August 11, 2021 and the contract will be awarded on December 30, 2021.

Let’s see we’ll get either the LFS HEV/LFS Artic HEV or the XDE40/XDE60.

I hope they would just give half the order to each and speed up the delivery.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eren Jaeger said:

According to the TTC's Tender Responses page, the bid was closed on August 11, 2021 and the contract will be awarded on December 30, 2021.

Let’s see we’ll get either the LFS HEV/LFS Artic HEV or the XDE40/XDE60.

I hope they go with New Flyer cause we need some sort of variety it’s always Nova Bus and Orion let’s give New Flyer a chance to shine

15 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

That would make more sense also

9 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I don't think splitting the contract into two manufacturers is necessary to speed up orders. Both major manufacturers (New Flyer and Nova) have multiple factories that can be used to concurrently build and deliver buses; for example, Nova successfully delivered 342 LFS buses in 2017, production of which was split between the St. Eustache and Plattsburgh plants. The bigger issue might be the TTC's capacity to perform PDI inspections on new arrivals.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Articulated said:

I don't think splitting the contract into two manufacturers is necessary to speed up orders. Both major manufacturers (New Flyer and Nova) have multiple factories that can be used to concurrently build and deliver buses; for example, Nova successfully delivered 342 LFS buses in 2017, production of which was split between the St. Eustache and Plattsburgh plants. The bigger issue might be the TTC's capacity to perform PDI inspections on new arrivals.

Also, the decommissioning of the older buses will stress the divisions for space and manpower. 

9 hours ago, 7749 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Nova. Always seems to be the cheapest bidder and the fleet is already mostly Nova...so it'd help on the maintenance side of things i'd assume

Although, part sourcing is still mixed between New Flyer and Novabus. New Flyer is basically where companies can get parts for their remaining Orion buses

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

The remaining 2006, 2007 & 2008 buses. Both Orion VII diesels and hybrids

It should be all of the OG HEVs, a decent portion of 79/80 and some 12-16 as well. Although this was from a sheet I got back in Mid 2020 so things could've changed by then

14 hours ago, 7749 said:

It should be all of the OG HEVs, a decent portion of 79/80 and some 12-16 as well. Although this was from a sheet I got back in Mid 2020 so things could've changed by then

So that would mean half or all of these new buses would be going to Mount Dennis?

On 9/9/2021 at 10:16 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

I'm pretty sure it stated that the order will go to one manufacturer both 40/60ft buses. 

I'll have to be corrected, but the last hybrid order almost went to NFI, but something about how they couldn't deliver the buses within TTCs timeframe? or was it simply lowest bidder? 

The Sept 15th Board meeting doesn't have anything on new buses on the agenda. Probably would have been to soon to determine anyways.