Future TTC Bus Orders

FlyerD901

4 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Are you referring to the 1991 Union Square derailment or service cutbacks/fleet shortages, or something else entirely?

No, last year they declared a state of emergency for the New York Subway due all the backlog in repairs and upgrades. Reliability is terrible there with no cash to fix all their ongoing problems. With all these cuts, TTC will follow their footsteps. There won't be money for premium buses and would have to ride out with diesel which is half as cheap.

If the subway upload is successful, we'll likely see slow order everywhere as Queen's Park decides to reduce repairs. Worn out or cracked rails still in use. Trains being used past their design life. As long as trains are moving, it's fine to Ford. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

If the subway upload is successful, we'll likely see slow order everywhere as Queen's Park decides to reduce repairs. Worn out or cracked rails still in use. Trains being used past their design life. As long as trains are moving, it's fine to Ford. 

The upload is garbage though, we are NOT the MTA which is NY state owned 

13 hours ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

Couldn’t they get Transport Canada funding, in the US, Transit Systems get FTA funding

TC would have to want to provide the funding for that. Traditionally, there has been a greater separation of funding of ongoing items between the Federal level and the lower levels of government in Canada than there has been in the US.

11 hours ago, TTC T6H-5307N 2252 said:

They could impose a Cigarette tax

10 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Cannabis taxing should probably help, too

Neither of those things are capable of being taxed by Toronto.

Dan

2 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Technically, but the extra money could technically go into transit funding

It's not "technically" - it's a fact. There's nothing technical about it.

The list of things that the City is capable of levying a tax on is very, very specific and not particularly long.

Dan

50 minutes ago, smallspy said:

It's not "technically" - it's a fact. There's nothing technical about it.

The list of things that the City is capable of levying a tax on is very, very specific and not particularly long.

Dan

As in the extra federal money will eventually go into transit funding. I admit, however, that I wasn't thinking in my earlier post

7 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

I admit, however, that I wasn't thinking in my earlier post

Think twice, post once, or perhaps don't post in this particular case. 

Cannabis and tobacco are already taxed. And it would make little sense to tax either further to fund transit. The more likely scenario would be a gas tax to fund transit.

23 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

Gone are the days (for now) when operators could ask for, and get a bus (or streetcar) for a late run as an oddball on a route

it depends on the foreman's mood. Back when Eglinton had abundance of Orions and Nova, I was given a chance to drive either a slow box or Nova when I pull into the repair bay for a changeoff.  

The TTC ought to organize a media event to introduce the public to their upcoming zero-emissions ride before they even consider putting it in revenue service. If they just go ahead with deployment, how would a rider react when they realize their bus is moving without hearing any engine noise? Could they think their bus might have stalled and would go out of control? I would think of retrofitting artificial noisemakers to assure these riders nothing is wrong with these buses. Just as how the public needs to be educated about electric cars, they should also know what to expect from an electric bus.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

The TTC ought to organize a media event to introduce the public to their upcoming zero-emissions ride before they even consider putting it in revenue service. If they just go ahead with deployment, how would a rider react when they realize their bus is moving without hearing any engine noise? Could they think their bus might have stalled and would go out of control? I would think of retrofitting artificial noisemakers to assure these riders nothing is wrong with these buses. Just as how the public needs to be educated about electric cars, they should also know what to expect from an electric bus.

Ok, passengers can be dumb, but they're not that dumb. Geez.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Transit geek said:

Let's say 99.99999999999% of the riders DO NOT CARE. They only care about getting from A to B comfortablely in a timely manner. You're way overthinking it. Even if they had an educational event, you'll be the only few attending not because you want to learn but you're a transit enthusiast. Therefore that will miss the purpose of such event and thus completely unnecessary.

People don't react to the engine shutted off on the new hybrids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I'm sure there will be a media unveiling, but it will be to tout the environmental benefits of the bus, not to introduce a fringe group of oblivious clowns to quiet buses.

Everyone survived when there were trolley buses.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Transit geek said:

The Xcelsiors already have an "artificial noisemaker" at the back of the bus. Its called the rear HVAC. In addition to that, the AC electric motors used in E-buses aren't exactly silent. Besides, most transit bus riders are not enthusiasts like us who constantly pay attention to every aspect of the vehicle they are traveling in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Don't the NOVA 3400's do that at every stop when the diesel side goes quiet? A media event might be useful but with the current Toronto-Ontario fight over the TTC and the funding for all municipal transit in the province, an electric bus and all it"s wares might be overshadowed.

• 3 weeks later...

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/fuel-savings-of-stms-hybrid-buses-less-than-half-what-was-promised-documents-show

STM in Montreal says the nova HEV are basically the same crap the TTC experienced with the Orion VII hybrids. Fuel savings isn't there, battery doesn't work well in extremely cold, AC makes them consume more fuel and etc.

They fooled the city for paying for a bunch of lemons.

In the recent TTC CEO report, it claims the nova HEV are on target with fuel savings. Now I wonder if they are playing the same card. Will they buy more on 2021?

• Like 2