Future TTC Bus Orders

FlyerD901

15 hours ago, Transit geek said:

But I heard that Malvern won't be deploying VISION by year's end. Maybe Mount Dennis?

Maybe the second batch. There is an order for 170 hybrids for this year and another 85 approved for late 2019. There is no way they'll all be all based in one division.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

TTC needs some new CNG buses. Why did they give up on CNG before? Surprised they didn't get Orion VII CNGs of some kind years ago.

CNG wasn't successful. They costed too much to maintain and there were many risks into using them in indoor bus terminals and couldn't really fit in the stations as well.

1 minute ago, Chris.A said:

But how did hey coup with the Orion V CNGs and Orion VI CNGs then?

The VIs were retired, and some Vs converted to diesel.

4 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

CNG wasn't successful. They costed too much to maintain and there were many risks into using them in indoor bus terminals and couldn't really fit in the stations as well.

The VIs were retired, and some Vs converted to diesel.

Those Orion VIs were 1998 models right?

12 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

But how did hey coup with the Orion V CNGs and Orion VI CNGs then?

With difficulty. There were a fair few locations that CNGs were not allowed to operate in to due to limited clearances.

1 hour ago, TechnicaProductions said:

CNG's can't fit in quite a few subway stations

It’s not the clearance that was the issue. It was the potential explosion hazard, and the expense of ventilation and electrical upgrades needed to mitigate that. In the case of st. Clair west, the streetcar overhead would always present a danger. CNG is lighter than air, and could collect to explosive concentrations at the ceiling, sort of like air pockets in a flooded cave.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:12 AM, Bus_Medic said:

It’s not the clearance that was the issue. It was the potential explosion hazard, and the expense of ventilation and electrical upgrades needed to mitigate that. In the case of st. Clair west, the streetcar overhead would always present a danger. CNG is lighter than air, and could collect to explosive concentrations at the ceiling, sort of like air pockets in a flooded cave.

Clearance was an issue at a number of stations, particularly those with bus terminals built as part of the original B-D line. In some cases, such as at Bathurst (and sort of at Jane when the hybrids became more prevalent), this was mitigated by extending the platform out by a couple of feet to avoid low overhangs. In others, there were permanent restrictions on the use of CNG buses into the terminal, such as at Woodbine.

Dan

I'm not sure if its been said before, but do we know which divisions will be receiving the Nova Hybrids, and the electric buses?

I wonder if the TTC has plans to use the Hybrids and Electrics on specific routes only that may yield the most efficiency, or will they just be in a general rotation?

9 minutes ago, MK78 said:

I'm not sure if its been said before, but do we know which divisions will be receiving the Nova Hybrids, and the electric buses?

I wonder if the TTC has plans to use the Hybrids and Electrics on specific routes only that may yield the most efficiency, or will they just be in a general rotation?

For the electric buses:

BYD will go to Eglinton,

New Flyer for Arrow Rd and

Proterra in Mount Dennis.

As for the Nova Hybrids, it’s still unclear where will they be stored as far as I know.

2 hours ago, DAT_28 said:

For the electric buses:

BYD will go to Eglinton,

New Flyer for Arrow Rd and

Proterra in Mount Dennis.

As for the Nova Hybrids, it’s still unclear where will they be stored as far as I know.

With Wilson and Arrow Road overcapacity, can't they use Mount Dennis or Birchmount's dead yard for temporary storage as well as the dormant Danforth? 

10 hours ago, BYD said:

With Wilson and Arrow Road overcapacity, can't they use Mount Dennis or Birchmount's dead yard for temporary storage as well as the dormant Danforth? 

With the possible exception of Birchmount, every single division is greatly over its rated capacity.

Danforth is not an option, as the facility is being used for other purposes.

Dan

• 6 months later...

Per Steve Munro's Twitter:
https://twitter.com/swanboatsteve/status/1126173428829044736?s=12&fbclid=IwAR3wSy6pAuMuuoLLG05M103F_03W-Qa-SON0E_nl4qwu0QAn9Gv1TUK0xN4

Thanks to quality and delivery problems, ttc will not exercise the 10 bus add-on option for their electric bus contract with BYD. (1/2)

(2/2) That company made a sales pitch at length under the guise of a "deputation" but their reps had the feel of bad used car salesmen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1