Future TTC Bus Orders

FlyerD901

8 minutes ago, Antarctica said:

Does anyone know Wilson will also get the order as well? I heard from the supervisor at Sheppard-Yonge Stn. and discussed with the operator on the 185 today that New Eglinton will be the last division to get the LFS buses.

Think about it the 7400-7800's will all be gone by end of 2018, would not make sense to move older stuff over to Eglinton for them to retire in a few years after.

7 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

How do you think New Flyer makes its money back from under bidding on all those orders? From part sales!

It's not just New Flyer.

And don't kid yourself - the reason why NFI bought not just Orion but also NABI was not because of their proprietary designs and knowledge, but almost certainly because of their parts and service departments.

Dan

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

How do you think New Flyer makes its money back from under bidding on all those orders? From part sales!

That is well known and TTC doesn't want to pay them for parts. I'm assuming TTC is hoping the partnership has enough value that would allow New Flyer to supply buses and allow TTC to get parts (maybe most parts) through the original supplier. Otherwise I don't see NFI winning if TTC is going to spend significantly more in long terms to maintain their buses. TTC is always running short on cash.

5 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

That is well known and TTC doesn't want to pay them for parts.

It's not that they don't want to pay them for parts. The TTC regularly buys parts from New Flyer.

The concern is that without the parts listing that the TTC would be locked into buying everything from NFI. It would become ostensibly a sole-source deal. And at that point, the TTC would no longer know if they were getting a good deal or not.

By having the parts listing, the TTC is able to shop around and pick-and-choose the best deals. That's why they regularly break up the parts contracts between 2 or 3 or 4 vendors. The ones with the best pricing for those particular parts win that part of the contract.

Dan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2017 at 6:07 PM, 7879 said:

Any idea if Mount Dennis will be getting new Novas? I've seen some 40 ft LFSes signed as Training Buses on Mt. Dennis routes (8570 on Davenport today, 8439 on Eglinton a week ago)

This has been discussed many times. Training buses for new Arrow operators don't have to be on Arrow routes. 

• Like 2

On 2/28/2017 at 8:58 PM, FlyerD901 said:

8440 still at eglinton. Looks like the info about them getting the 2017 bus order is correct.

Also there will be a RFP out in the next two months where TTC said New Flyer will be able to bid. 

#8444 is also there. Training will begin next week for the operators and mechanics.

18 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

Looks like someone was awarded the contract for Mini buses, Which is most likely the 20 new redesigned buses for the Wheel-Trans fleet.

P32PY17769

SUPPLY OF MINI BUSES

I believe this was awarded to Creative Carriage for their Promaster Community Bus.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Link does not work

It doesn't work unfortunately. I even went on the TTCs website and it still doesn't work.

55 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

They have a door at the rear like their current fleet?

Just google it, there's some examples there.

14 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Sprinter buses?  Last time i heard the new nova will be here aroiund april or may.

I saw 8440 at Vic Park Station, so operators are starting training.

6 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

It doesn't work unfortunately. I even went on the TTCs website and it still doesn't work.

8440 has been out almost every day for the past week or so on training runs.

10 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

started this past Monday actually.

4 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

8440 has been out almost every day for the past week or so on training runs.

that;s because it is the same instructor doing training.  

On 29/03/2017 at 1:46 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

Sprinter buses?  Last time i heard the new nova will be here aroiund april or may.

Did the friendly bus company bid in this order? Are they not happy with the friendly buses?

20 hours ago, Shaun said:

Did the friendly bus company bid in this order? Are they not happy with the friendly buses?

Not that particularly happy, no. The sprinters and promasters  respectively have the advantage of still being rear wheel drive, or conventional front wheel drive straight from the factory, unmodified.

friendlies were hacked up 8 ways from Sunday by Dallas-Smith. So much so in fact that we had to go as far afield as Niagara Falls to find a ford dealer willing to fix them towards the end of their warranty.

I'm have my doubts if it's still even produced.

• Like 2

Have they held up as good as the ELF's when they were around? The thing with the friendly bus is that it always looks like the frame is sagging and have seen a few with blown turbo's with tons of blue smoke coming out the back. I guess that happens with all high mileage ford's?

14 hours ago, Shaun said:

Have they held up as good as the ELF's when they were around? The thing with the friendly bus is that it always looks like the frame is sagging and have seen a few with blown turbo's with tons of blue smoke coming out the back. I guess that happens with all high mileage ford's?

All things considered, the elfs were more reliable, but only relative to the friendlies. The blue smoke is extra fuel being dumped into the exhaust to bring up the temperature during DPF regeneration.

I noticed (sorry, I'm slow :unsure:) that the 8400 LFS buses have disc brakes, on the front anyway. All the Orion VIIs I've looked at have had drum brakes.

Is part of TTC's spec for buses now disc brakes, front and/or back? Or is that just Nova's way of satisfying whatever braking requirements are in the specs?