Future TTC Bus Orders

FlyerD901

look like Birchmount will lose 10 8100s next board.

I'm also hearing the 2017 buses will be at Eglinton next year. If the info is right we should expect some 8500 to be at Eglinton for training soon.

Also the RFI for buses was awarded on Dec 13, from the Jan 12 date. looks like they  are ahead of time by a month.

14 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

UWE is a failure.  Hence buses are left running in the yard so that the buses will start.  I haven't heard anything about Novabus training yet.  

TTC will never build another garage with a large outdoors storage space. Complete waste of fuel. I don't think TTC will be experimenting again anything soon. Hybrids, UWE and artics all didn't seem to go so well. Montreal really wants electric buses and might be something to consider in the future but hey'll probably freeze over if left at Eglinton.

If TTC is getting new Novas in May, I don't think another division would get them till September 2017. Queensway got them in September too when ridership picks up after the summer.

The thing is, everything the TTC touches is a failure. Hybrids, CNG, Bio Fuel, Articulated Buses, UWE, you name the technology the TTC will most likely fail in implementing it successfully. To be honest i'm not so sure if it's so much the technology selection, but rather the TTC's method of implementation that is the root cause of these issues.

I'll excuse them with the hybrids since they're just a disaster all around, but everything else leaves me skeptical with how they utilize things. Who knows, at this rate maybe they'll even find a way to botch pantographs.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lip said:

The thing is, everything the TTC touches is a failure. Hybrids, CNG, Bio Fuel, Articulated Buses, UWE, you name the technology the TTC will most likely fail in implementing it successfully. To be honest i'm not so sure if it's so much the technology selection, but rather the TTC's method of implementation that is the root cause of these issues.

I'll excuse them with the hybrids since they're just a disaster all around, but everything else leaves me skeptical with how they utilize things. Who knows, at this rate maybe they'll even find a way to botch pantographs.

Maybe this is why the new streetcars are performing so badly :P Look how long it's taking them to get ATO right. Who knows if it'll be working by 2020.

14 hours ago, lip said:

I'm pretty sure that's more of a casualty of being an early adopter.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Flyer has never NOT been able to bid. In fact, they've bid on and lost a number of tenders now.

The question is whether New Flyer will continue to refuse to submit compliant bids. It's never stopped them before....

Dan

• Like 4

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

New Flyer has never NOT been able to bid. In fact, they've bid on and lost a number of tenders now.

The question is whether New Flyer will continue to refuse to submit compliant bids. It's never stopped them before....

Dan

Does the TTC select bids by the lowest price or are there other things involved?  New Flyer is usually more expensive than Nova.

2 hours ago, WMATAC40LF said:

Does the TTC select bids by the lowest price or are there other things involved?  New Flyer is usually more expensive than Nova.

They select bids based on what is the most compliant to their specs, followed by price.

Even if New Flyer were to be cheaper, if they are not compliant than their bid will be tossed out. If their bid is compliant but more expensive than Nova, then at least they stand a fighting chance of being awarded the tender if Nova's gets tossed out.

Dan

• Like 1

Speaking of New Flyer vs. NovaBus does anyone have the TTC's boarding standards for the LFS vs the D40LF's?

Something tells me the D40LF had a greater capacity overall, which would be yet another reason to end this NovaBus non-sense. Of course the D40LF is no longer in production, but the XD40 has essentially the same capacity.

4 hours ago, lip said:

Speaking of New Flyer vs. NovaBus does anyone have the TTC's boarding standards for the LFS vs the D40LF's?

Something tells me the D40LF had a greater capacity overall, which would be yet another reason to end this NovaBus non-sense. Of course the D40LF is no longer in production, but the XD40 has essentially the same capacity.

TTC doesn't want to pay the middleman (New Flyer) for parts when they can save money by going directly to the original supplier. In the past, New Flyer refused to give that parts list to TTC. That's a pretty big deal breaker for the TTC. Spending more on maintenance for the same bus makes no sense so it's not really non-sense.

I just couldn't get this off my mind: If TTC were to require the buses to have a bike rack that can hold two bikes without blocking operator's view, would we not get any at all?

And did Nova win the latest bus bid?

On 3/2/2017 at 3:05 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

TTC doesn't want to pay the middleman (New Flyer) for parts when they can save money by going directly to the original supplier. In the past, New Flyer refused to give that parts list to TTC. That's a pretty big deal breaker for the TTC. Spending more on maintenance for the same bus makes no sense so it's not really non-sense.

How do you think New Flyer makes its money back from under bidding on all those orders? From part sales!

On 28/02/2017 at 8:58 PM, FlyerD901 said:

8440 still at eglinton. Looks like the info about them getting the 2017 bus order is correct.

Also there will be a RFP out in the next two months where TTC said New Flyer will be able to bid. 

Does anyone know Wilson will also get the order as well? I heard from the supervisor at Sheppard-Yonge Stn. and discussed with the operator on the 185 today that New Eglinton will be the last division to get the LFS buses.