ttcbusdude

Functional Presto Card Readers

On 7/25/2016 at 1:22 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

All the 40 ft buses at Arrow and Wilson are done. They just have to finish up the artics and move on to the next divisions. About 700 buses have readers now. They better be working hard on weekends when the artics aren't needed for service. (less artics needed for Wilson)

Do you think they will be able to install the readers in all vehicles by the end of the year? How bout subways?

On 7/27/2016 at 1:56 PM, raptorjays said:

Do you think they will be able to install the readers in all vehicles by the end of the year? How bout subways?

Buses, yes they are still in track. Almost all Arrow and Wilson buses should be done now. Next up is two months for MtD and Malvern. That leaves October and November for Eglinton and Bmount. MtD already has a handful of hybrids with readers for the 512.

Subway installation hasn't been going according to plans. They took out many gates now but seems like the new gates haven't been arriving on time. St Clair got its gates in July, a whole month late. I highly doubt they can finish the entire BD line by the fall. Then they got the remaining line 1, 3 and 4. Then the existing old readers need to be replaced. The faregate replacement program is going to run well into 2017.

4 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Then the existing old readers need to be replaced. The faregate replacement program is going to run well into 2017.

It was always the plan that the existing old readers wouldn't be replaced until 2017. And the secondary entrances at stations with the existing readers. If they can catch up and get  readers in every station by end of 2016, then they've done very well, and achieved their promise.

13 minutes ago, nfitz said:

It was always the plan that the existing old readers wouldn't be replaced until 2017. And the secondary entrances at stations with the existing readers. If they can catch up and get  readers in every station by end of 2016, then they've done very well, and achieved their promise.

I know they plan to replace the existing ones sometime in mid 2017. Considering they are replacing gates well into 2017, some station might not even get presto by the end of 2016. TTC is now considering to sell tokens well into 2017. This could pretty much mean the system won't convert to presto by the end of 2016.

Also note presto usage on buses are extremely low. I'm the only one to uses it on a bus out of 50 people all the time. The TTC will need to give people more time to adopt so there's no rush in installing gates at every station by 2016. The low usage stations on the SRT can wait. TTC also needs to step up on presto card sales which they haven't done yet. They have plenty of opportunities to educate people like putting up large posters, use the TR screens and printing on newspaper on how to use presto. Have staffs do in station sales and at ticket booths/vending machines. Have staffs on buses educating and selling presto cards. TTC is doing nothing right now which leads to a very low adoption rate on buses. People just see a brand new reader on buses and are completely clueless on how presto works.

Presto installers started at malvern Tuesday night. It would appear that the 1000s will be done first.

i can vouch that 1068 is done, at least.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2016 at 1:26 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

I know they plan to replace the existing ones sometime in mid 2017. Considering they are replacing gates well into 2017, some station might not even get presto by the end of 2016. TTC is now considering to sell tokens well into 2017. This could pretty much mean the system won't convert to presto by the end of 2016.

Also note presto usage on buses are extremely low. I'm the only one to uses it on a bus out of 50 people all the time. The TTC will need to give people more time to adopt so there's no rush in installing gates at every station by 2016. The low usage stations on the SRT can wait. TTC also needs to step up on presto card sales which they haven't done yet. They have plenty of opportunities to educate people like putting up large posters, use the TR screens and printing on newspaper on how to use presto. Have staffs do in station sales and at ticket booths/vending machines. Have staffs on buses educating and selling presto cards. TTC is doing nothing right now which leads to a very low adoption rate on buses. People just see a brand new reader on buses and are completely clueless on how presto works.

And this won't help either...

umm2gOC.jpg

The reader on 8372 crashed. And this is no isolated incident; I've seen these readers crash at least twice before.

Now I know it runs a .NET app on a Windows CE device. :lol:

53 minutes ago, Buurin said:

And this won't help either...

umm2gOC.jpg

The reader on 8372 crashed. And this is no isolated incident; I've seen these readers crash at least twice before.

Now I know it runs a .NET app on a Windows CE device. :lol:

And every time the bus powers down, the readers have to reboot. By the time they initialize, the first few stops are missed. If it crashes, every stop is missed. What a garbage system using outdated software.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

And every time the bus powers down, the readers have to reboot. By the time they initialize, the first few stops are missed. If it crashes, every stop is missed. What a garbage system using outdated software.

Unfortunately, Toronto did PRESTO rather stupidly and the rollout has been an unfortunate disaster, from my understanding, Toronto drivers don't have the control reader with driver cards to initialize the reader before it goes into service and can reset it mid run in a rather quick amount of time. 

I also think some of the blame could go to these different style readers on them compared to other agencies, YRT,DRT,HSR, Miway just to name a few all use the same style reader and all have control units where drivers have ID Preato cards, these have been rather reliable in these municipalities.

hopefully all the kinks TTC is having will be worked out before the rollout is completed whenever that is and really by the time that the single use presto cards and the metropass on presto are rolled out fully.

9 hours ago, 900 Highway 2 said:

Unfortunately, Toronto did PRESTO rather stupidly and the rollout has been an unfortunate disaster, from my understanding, Toronto drivers don't have the control reader with driver cards to initialize the reader before it goes into service and can reset it mid run in a rather quick amount of time. 

I also think some of the blame could go to these different style readers on them compared to other agencies, YRT,DRT,HSR, Miway just to name a few all use the same style reader and all have control units where drivers have ID Preato cards, these have been rather reliable in these municipalities.

hopefully all the kinks TTC is having will be worked out before the rollout is completed whenever that is and really by the time that the single use presto cards and the metropass on presto are rolled out fully.

This is suppose to be fixed when TTC rolls out the new system that replaces the TRUMP unit. Until then (which is probably to be completed by 2019) presto will work with no control. 

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

This is suppose to be fixed when TTC rolls out the new system that replaces the TRUMP unit. Until then (which is probably to be completed by 2019) presto will work with no control. 

What will the new system be like?

On 7/8/2016 at 0:11 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

Yeah, but only in stations.  Trains don't come with fareboxes.

On 8/5/2016 at 0:01 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

Can't they at least upgrade to Windows Embedded 8.1 software instead? :wacko: 

On a side note, be on the lookout for PRESTO units on New Eglinton territory. #7564 was the first installed (but yet to be in operation) on 86D this evening.

1 hour ago, 16 McCowan said:

Can't they at least upgrade to Windows Embedded 8.1 software instead? :wacko: 

On a side note, be on the lookout for PRESTO units on New Eglinton territory. #7564 was the first installed (but yet to be in operation) on 86D this evening.

That's probably a test unit. They can currently installing on mtd and Malvern buses only. All Arrow and Wilson units should be done. 

+1027, 1033

On 8/9/2016 at 8:18 PM, 16 McCowan said:

On 8/9/2016 at 9:54 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

That's probably a test unit. They can currently installing on mtd and Malvern buses only. All Arrow and Wilson units should be done. 

Eglinton will be last. Birchmount is next after Mt Dennis and Malvern.