Functional Presto Card Readers

+8539, 8548

8539 was non-function at first when the driver just started the bus (Arrow drivers shuts down their buses during layovers). It took a couple minutes till it initiates and becomes functional. As I said before, seeing a functional reader doesn't mean it's non function. It might have just lost it's location and may become functional 15 minutes later.

All Arrow 40ft Novas should have presto readers installed. Every day 9 consecutive Nova's goes for presto installation and doesn't appear in service on that day. This trend have shuffle through the entire fleet. The artics are the only buses left.

+8522

I think it's fair to just track all buses with presto readers unless it has a sticker covering it.

All presto readers were installed in working condition but sometimes the glitch out and becomes disable. I was on a bus there other day were the driver inform me it was working on his bus but in fact it was working and accepted my fare. It appears that the readers on that bus wasn't working sometime before I got on.

Now this brings to the question how can TTC switch to presto if these readers keep glitching. If it can't acquire a location, both (or all 3 on an artic) readers are disabled.

+1357 (my bad, mixed it with another number)

1357 took the bus a full 10 minutes for the front reader to initialize after being shut off. The back reader only took a minute to initialize. This no idling procedure is going to cause a lot of trouble with presto. Queensway division buses idles all the time so this problem simple doesn't occur.

All the 40 ft buses at Arrow and Wilson are done. They just have to finish up the artics and move on to the next divisions. About 700 buses have readers now. They better be working hard on weekends when the artics aren't needed for service. (less artics needed for Wilson)

On 7/25/2016 at 1:22 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

All the 40 ft buses at Arrow and Wilson are done. They just have to finish up the artics and move on to the next divisions. About 700 buses have readers now. They better be working hard on weekends when the artics aren't needed for service. (less artics needed for Wilson)

Do you think they will be able to install the readers in all vehicles by the end of the year? How bout subways?

On 7/27/2016 at 1:56 PM, raptorjays said:

Do you think they will be able to install the readers in all vehicles by the end of the year? How bout subways?

Buses, yes they are still in track. Almost all Arrow and Wilson buses should be done now. Next up is two months for MtD and Malvern. That leaves October and November for Eglinton and Bmount. MtD already has a handful of hybrids with readers for the 512.

Subway installation hasn't been going according to plans. They took out many gates now but seems like the new gates haven't been arriving on time. St Clair got its gates in July, a whole month late. I highly doubt they can finish the entire BD line by the fall. Then they got the remaining line 1, 3 and 4. Then the existing old readers need to be replaced. The faregate replacement program is going to run well into 2017.

4 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Then the existing old readers need to be replaced. The faregate replacement program is going to run well into 2017.

It was always the plan that the existing old readers wouldn't be replaced until 2017. And the secondary entrances at stations with the existing readers. If they can catch up and get  readers in every station by end of 2016, then they've done very well, and achieved their promise.

13 minutes ago, nfitz said:

It was always the plan that the existing old readers wouldn't be replaced until 2017. And the secondary entrances at stations with the existing readers. If they can catch up and get  readers in every station by end of 2016, then they've done very well, and achieved their promise.

I know they plan to replace the existing ones sometime in mid 2017. Considering they are replacing gates well into 2017, some station might not even get presto by the end of 2016. TTC is now considering to sell tokens well into 2017. This could pretty much mean the system won't convert to presto by the end of 2016.

Also note presto usage on buses are extremely low. I'm the only one to uses it on a bus out of 50 people all the time. The TTC will need to give people more time to adopt so there's no rush in installing gates at every station by 2016. The low usage stations on the SRT can wait. TTC also needs to step up on presto card sales which they haven't done yet. They have plenty of opportunities to educate people like putting up large posters, use the TR screens and printing on newspaper on how to use presto. Have staffs do in station sales and at ticket booths/vending machines. Have staffs on buses educating and selling presto cards. TTC is doing nothing right now which leads to a very low adoption rate on buses. People just see a brand new reader on buses and are completely clueless on how presto works.

On 8/3/2016 at 1:26 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

I know they plan to replace the existing ones sometime in mid 2017. Considering they are replacing gates well into 2017, some station might not even get presto by the end of 2016. TTC is now considering to sell tokens well into 2017. This could pretty much mean the system won't convert to presto by the end of 2016.

Also note presto usage on buses are extremely low. I'm the only one to uses it on a bus out of 50 people all the time. The TTC will need to give people more time to adopt so there's no rush in installing gates at every station by 2016. The low usage stations on the SRT can wait. TTC also needs to step up on presto card sales which they haven't done yet. They have plenty of opportunities to educate people like putting up large posters, use the TR screens and printing on newspaper on how to use presto. Have staffs do in station sales and at ticket booths/vending machines. Have staffs on buses educating and selling presto cards. TTC is doing nothing right now which leads to a very low adoption rate on buses. People just see a brand new reader on buses and are completely clueless on how presto works.

And this won't help either...

umm2gOC.jpg

The reader on 8372 crashed. And this is no isolated incident; I've seen these readers crash at least twice before.

Now I know it runs a .NET app on a Windows CE device. :lol: