CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! It is unavailable to edit while we sort out character encoding issues for our French pages. Please report any other issues here.

dj.surf.lfs

Simcoe County Transit

https://www.collingwoodtoday.ca/local-news/soon-you-can-ride-the-bus-from-collingwood-to-barrie-with-one-transfer-1378888?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2P1SG4ycm6rtPH_pbUnyLqzSJFws33hQiXMJyUhdJJv-3z2_1dgbPVPX8

Latest news on LINX.

I have to say, while the service is needed, the terminal planning could've been better.

Orillia's route is only gonna run from Lakehead to RVH, which doesn't help people who actually live in Orillia who would need to take two Orillia Transit buses to get to it from most parts of the city, and then to get elsewhere into Barrie requires a two or three-bus journey on our clusterfuck of a system.

Collingwood would've just been better off if it didn't require a transfer in the middle of nowhere on the outskirts of Wasaga to get to, it'd be best if it just went to Collingwood on one bus. However, the Barrie end of the route is decent as it ends at Allandale Station, which is central enough and will be getting improved soon.

Having the Orillia and Midland LINX routes terminating at say the Downtown Barrie Terminal instead of RVH, would mean a 5 minute transfer along Bradford Street at the most between the two routes on the most frequent section of the current Barrie Transit network, while if we had the Barrie to Orillia route running to Downtown Orillia, it'd make the lives of Orillia travellers easier as they wouldn't have to take two buses across the city to get to it, they could just go Downtown on any bus.

Has anybody noticed if we've gotten more buses yet?

I haven't been on Route 1 since the free trial ended a year ago so Idk if they're running the same four Vicinitys or if we got more.

The service changes are like only a month away so they should be starting training now I think, yet I haven't seen anything on the news or seen any new buses in town.

The Enviro 200s are starting to arrive. There's one that's already been delivered that was shown on CTV News on that Tiny Township story, and when I was on the 400 today heading down to the GTA to explore, we spotted another E200 being delivered.

• Thanks 1

Between Barrie and Collingwood, highway 26 can be very snowy in the winter, are these buses fitted with knobby tires?  Will they be able to sustain highway speeds between Barrie and Orillia? 

The service between Collingwood and Barrie would be useful on weekends. Does the region think that people dont travel on weekends?

• Like 1

I just saw a new Enviro 200 for LINX, it was Not In Service going Southbound on Hwy 11

• Thanks 1

I made a trip up to Simcoe County to observe the new LINX routes, after already riding route 1 in November. It really is impressive the scale at which Simcoe County is launching the LINX service and it will be a great improvement for mobility in the region.

I started by riding route 2 and 4 from Barrie to Collingwood. Route 2 was a 30' 6006 and route 4 was a 35', 7003. Route 2 and route 4 are supposed to connect in Wasaga Beach but it does not always work out. Most people I observed were transferring between the 2 routes and it should really be a thorough service from Barrie-Collingwood via Wasaga or at least interline routes 2 or 4 when they both run so people don't get stuck waiting a hour for a connection (or miss the last bus of the day!)

I rode 30' 6007 and 35' 7002 on route 3 to Orillia. The route is very tightly timed with a odd 50 minute frequency and both buses were running 10-15 minutes behind schedule. Unfortunately 6007 broke down and was replaced by a Vicinity for its last trip.

It was my first ride on a Enviro 200 and I did like that they have Aries seats with padding which are comftorable for the long distances and the AC worked very well. I found the 35' version rode a lot better than the 30' and in talking to 2 drivers, they both preferred the Vicinity over the Enviro 200 due to the better handling and suspension.

For the VIN collectors:

6007 SFEY14127KNN37329 03/2019

7002 SFEY24124KNN37396 05/2019

SIMCOE LINX 6006.jpg

Simcoe LINX 6007 INTERIOR.jpg

SIMCOE LINX 7003.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1