Simcoe County Transit

dj.surf.lfs

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Just reading this article regarding the lack of weekend service for most routes except Route 4: Wasaga Beach to Collingwood. 

https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/ticket-to-ride-county-councillors-ask-about-linx-weekend-transit-6633408?utm_source=Villager&utm_campaign=Content&utm_medium=Facebook_Graph&fbclid=IwAR2LbH3JcEzCaKAJwOsRAPK1DG22GxBNWcHwNNtVDXU74_J7SqlFNlWFbLQ

Right now, the remaining 5 routes operate Monday to Friday from around 5 AM to 6 PM. Which can be challenging depending on the end trip and if it can be done in the same day. In case there are delays along the route or other challenges.

Simcoe County Linx turns 5 years old in August. I remember when I first took it during the free month period, it does encourage more mobility between the county and small towns.

58 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Just reading this article regarding the lack of weekend service for most routes except Route 4: Wasaga Beach to Collingwood. 

https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/ticket-to-ride-county-councillors-ask-about-linx-weekend-transit-6633408?utm_source=Villager&utm_campaign=Content&utm_medium=Facebook_Graph&fbclid=IwAR2LbH3JcEzCaKAJwOsRAPK1DG22GxBNWcHwNNtVDXU74_J7SqlFNlWFbLQ

Right now, the remaining 5 routes operate Monday to Friday from around 5 AM to 6 PM. Which can be challenging depending on the end trip and if it can be done in the same day. In case there are delays along the route or other challenges.

Simcoe County Linx turns 5 years old in August. I remember when I first took it during the free month period, it does encourage more mobility between the county and small towns.

Until they manage to get weekend service to more of their network, perhaps GO could run some of the routes using Barrie as a hub to Collingwood, Orillia and perhaps Midland?  GO often has weekend-only service in the summer months, which would be ideal for those locations.  Collingwood might be the only one that might be popular enough to run year-round, though getting skis on a GO Train to get to Barrie might be tricky! 

There's also discussion in the linked article about coming up with a unified fare card between LINX and Orillia Transit.  I know PRESTO has its issues, but the proliferation of other fare cards like the ones in Milton, Niagara, Guelph or GRT which aren't compatible with the connecting GO Transit seems like a growing problem.  Can't the Province put a bit more funding into it to iron out the wrinkles and make it more palatable to other agencies?  

6 minutes ago, Gil said:

There's also discussion in the linked article about coming up with a unified fare card between LINX and Orillia Transit.  I know PRESTO has its issues, but the proliferation of other fare cards like the ones in Milton, Niagara, Guelph or GRT which aren't compatible with the connecting GO Transit seems like a growing problem.  Can't the Province put a bit more funding into it to iron out the wrinkles and make it more palatable to other agencies?  

Currently, to get the fare concession requires getting a ticket from the Linx operator which is valid for 100 minutes from boarding (in-case you board from the first stop). You have to retain the ticket which is inserted in the fare box for Orillia Transit along with $1.90 cash (the ticket gives a $1 discount).

Orillia Transit, the issue with their smart card is that if one has a Linx smart card, they are unable to register for an Orillia Transit smart card. Which is ridiculous considering that when I contacted them, they simply said "you will have to pay the cash fare until this is addressed." Despite how they are two different transit systems charging different fares.

I can understand the fragmentation regarding different systems and how they chose different smart cards to meet their needs and requirements. Especially having to make sure there is enough value loaded and different accounts to manage. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Currently, to get the fare concession requires getting a ticket from the Linx operator which is valid for 100 minutes from boarding (in-case you board from the first stop). You have to retain the ticket which is inserted in the fare box for Orillia Transit along with $1.90 cash (the ticket gives a $1 discount).

Orillia Transit, the issue with their smart card is that if one has a Linx smart card, they are unable to register for an Orillia Transit smart card. Which is ridiculous considering that when I contacted them, they simply said "you will have to pay the cash fare until this is addressed." Despite how they are two different transit systems charging different fares.

I can understand the fragmentation regarding different systems and how they chose different smart cards to meet their needs and requirements. Especially having to make sure there is enough value loaded and different accounts to manage. 

I believe there was some announcement about rolling out Presto all connecting municipalities.

Also for the GO train you could take seats out and build Ski racks on the lower level. If you can do it with bikes you can do it with skiis.

On 3/2/2023 at 7:43 PM, Gil said:

Until they manage to get weekend service to more of their network, perhaps GO could run some of the routes using Barrie as a hub to Collingwood, Orillia and perhaps Midland?  GO often has weekend-only service in the summer months, which would be ideal for those locations.  Collingwood might be the only one that might be popular enough to run year-round, though getting skis on a GO Train to get to Barrie might be tricky! 

It would definitely be a dream - if the Blue Mountain ski resort in Collingwood wins a "bid" to host either the X-Games or even the Dew Tour events!

On 3/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

This is very analogus when you visit from one country to another, you have to buy a travel power converter to convert the electrcity systems voltage to work in the country you're visiting.

QR Code-based ticketing would be a stop-gap solution, however - not everyone carries a smartphone.

2 hours ago, Shaun said:

Also for the GO train you could take seats out and build Ski racks on the lower level. If you can do it with bikes you can do it with skiis.

Not only for skis, but also a place to stow your snowboard too! 

• 4 months later...

Simcoe County Linx celebrates five years of service.

Starting from 4 buses in 2018 expanding to 30 buses today. From one route to six along with a free first month to build the ridership along with education on the frequency. 

https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/county-celebrating-five-years-of-linx-transit-7379568?utm_source=Villager&utm_campaign=Content&utm_medium=Twitter

Final comments:

The transportation master plan is being updated including transit review. Especially since evening and weekend service is most likely one of the bigger requests. With the final departure around 5:30 PM to 6 PM for most routes. Except for Route 4: Wasaga Beach to Collingwood, then it goes until 8:30 PM every day including holidays. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike said:

Did Simcoe Linx run 30 min service before pandemic?  Looking at the schedules it looks like they only need 12 buses for daily service so 30 buses gives them quite a large spare ratio.

No, their routes have generally only been roughly hourly since they began service. I think route 1 used to have a 4th bus, but they realigned the schedule during COVID to reduce layovers and the need for the 4th bus.

Because LINX's service network is so widespread, they have multiple outposts where their buses are based from. Therefore, even though (for example) the Orillia garage only needs to put out 2 buses (one on route 3 and one on route 6), they need at least one extra stored there for backup. This contributes a lot to the high spare ratio; so does using a contractor like First Student (who is not exactly known for their high maintenance standards).

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

No, their routes have generally only been roughly hourly since they began service. I think route 1 used to have a 4th bus, but they realigned the schedule during COVID to reduce layovers and the need for the 4th bus.

Because LINX's service network is so widespread, they have multiple outposts where their buses are based from. Therefore, even though (for example) the Orillia garage only needs to put out 2 buses (one on route 3 and one on route 6), they need at least one extra stored there for backup. This contributes a lot to the high spare ratio; so does using a contractor like First Student (who is not exactly known for their high maintenance standards).

Orillia seems to be the main yard as I've counted at least 10 buses there. Plus the LINX+ vehicles are stored there.