Simcoe County Transit

dj.surf.lfs

Under the 2018 budget, Simcoe County is proposing to apply for PTIF funding to buy 15 30' buses over the next three years, with 6 of them to be delivered in 2018. This is in addition to the 4 Vicinities ordered this year. 

https://simcoe.civicweb.net/document/32943/Schedule 2 to CCW 17-353.pdf?handle=627B19819B5D4A74AD8EC6F86A017D82 (page 219)

This is a change in direction from the last Transit Implementation Plan update, which called for using cutaway vehicles for intra-city routes. I'm guessing that the PTIF funding (which covers 2/3 of bus purchasing costs) allowed County to explore using bigger vehicles.

In addition, Simcoe County will join the Metrolinx Joint Procurement program: https://simcoe.civicweb.net/document/32914/CCW 17-332.pdf?handle=87E646CE87CF471D88C8BE5AB7527726

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dj.surf.lfs said:

Under the 2018 budget, Simcoe County is proposing to apply for PTIF funding to buy 15 30' buses over the next three years, with 6 of them to be delivered in 2018. This is in addition to the 4 Vicinities ordered this year. 

https://simcoe.civicweb.net/document/32943/Schedule 2 to CCW 17-353.pdf?handle=627B19819B5D4A74AD8EC6F86A017D82 (page 219)

This is a change in direction from the last Transit Implementation Plan update, which called for using cutaway vehicles for intra-city routes. I'm guessing that the PTIF funding (which covers 2/3 of bus purchasing costs) allowed County to explore using bigger vehicles.

In addition, Simcoe County will join the Metrolinx Joint Procurement program: https://simcoe.civicweb.net/document/32914/CCW 17-332.pdf?handle=87E646CE87CF471D88C8BE5AB7527726

This is good news.

I didn't know that Metrolinx had a 30ft category for this period. Is anybody else ordering 30ft from TPI and who is the marque that won the bid?

Sure will be a huge improvement over cutaways.

27 minutes ago, MCI102A3 said:

This is good news.

I didn't know that Metrolinx had a 30ft category for this period. Is anybody else ordering 30ft from TPI and who is the marque that won the bid?

The EZ Rider II MAX was the last winner. Back from what 2009 to 2013?

7 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

The EZ Rider II MAX was the last winner. Back from what 2009 to 2013?

Was the BRT I believe. We got ours in Barrie in 2012 through the TPI. I think that period began in 2011 and ended in 2013, we got those Eldorados and almost all our XD40s through that programme. The 2014s were ordered through a City tender as the TPI didn't cover that year.

17 minutes ago, MCI102A3 said:

Was the BRT I believe. We got ours in Barrie in 2012 through the TPI. I think that period began in 2011 and ended in 2013, we got those Eldorados and almost all our XD40s through that programme. The 2014s were ordered through a City tender as the TPI didn't cover that year.

Flyer and EZ Rider had the Metrolinx contracts for a long period of time. The BRT is the same as the MAX just a different front end.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MCI102A3 said:

This is good news.

The Joint Procurement Program is more than buses - components such as ITS-AVL and security cameras may also be ordered under the program.

Report notes that there is currently no contract for 9m buses, although one may be awarded in early 2018. If Simcoe County wants buses earlier they have to procure them on its own.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Media unveiling of the new buses happening tomorrow June 12 at 8:15am, at the County Administration in Midhurst.

https://www.simcoe.ca/CorporateCommunications/Pages/County-unveils-Simcoe-County-LINX-Transit-Service.aspx

An update on the transit system will be provided at Council meeting following the event, including schedules, fares and marketing strategies.

https://simcoe.civicweb.net/Portal/MeetingInformation.aspx?Org=Cal&Id=245

• 1 month later...

Ok, more specifically I mean it is not listed under the ontario transit agency list. Can it be added? Maybe in the same fashion as Norfolk County, can have a Simcoe County and then under it we can put LINX etc.

Here's my video of the first day. Myself and another member rode the entire route, then bus-hopped between Midland and Wyebridge thanks to convenient timing where the southbound stops in Wyebridge 5 minutes before the northbound. More videos are in the pipeline.

• Like 1

Good for Simcoe County for getting this underway!    I see that the southern terminal for Route 1 (Barrie-Midland-Penetanguishene) is Georgian College and Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie rather than the Barrie Transit Terminal (BTT) downtown.  For passengers trying to connect to southbound GO trains at Barrie-Annandale or to Ontario Northland or Greyhound at BTT,  the gap between the southern end of Linx route 1 and downtown Barrie seems to require a trip on Barrie Transit route 3B or 8B.   While I guess this makes sense from a cost standpoint, since the Barrie service is already there, and both Georgian and Royal Vic would seem to be important destinations in their own right, it will require some customer education in the near term.  Or am I missing something here?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doug_oak said:

Good for Simcoe County for getting this underway!    I see that the southern terminal for Route 1 (Barrie-Midland-Penetanguishene) is Georgian College and Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie rather than the Barrie Transit Terminal (BTT) downtown.  For passengers trying to connect to southbound GO trains at Barrie-Annandale or to Ontario Northland or Greyhound at BTT,  the gap between the southern end of Linx route 1 and downtown Barrie seems to require a trip on Barrie Transit route 3B or 8B.   While I guess this makes sense from a cost standpoint, since the Barrie service is already there, and both Georgian and Royal Vic would seem to be important destinations in their own right, it will require some customer education in the near term.  Or am I missing something here?

I had a meeting with the County about this back in July, and from what they told me they do plan to eventually have a central hub in Barrie and will move Route 1 there when that happens, probably when Routes 2 and 3 come online.

• 5 weeks later...

Over the last month I've been riding LINX with friends. A driver told us a week ago that the buses for Collingwood and Orillia have already been ordered and the routes are planned to go online next year. 

LINX is also listed as a partner along with Barrie for the 9M bus category on the Metrolinx website, so chances are we may be getting Enviro 200s as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I saw them running yesterday on my way to Midland. I didn't get to see if there was anyone on the bus. The bus stops are well marked and put in places where they make sense. 

I wonder if you can get dropped off between stops? 

Do the buses accept Presto? 

13 hours ago, Shaun said:

I saw them running yesterday on my way to Midland. I didn't get to see if there was anyone on the bus. The bus stops are well marked and put in places where they make sense. 

I wonder if you can get dropped off between stops? 

Do the buses accept Presto? 

They don't accept Presto. Linx card is what is used on-board.

https://www.simcoe.ca/Transit/Pages/LinxCard.aspx

I don't think they allow passengers being dropped off between stops. Especially I don't think it would be safe if someone were to be dropped off in the middle of nowhere. Taking it a few times during the free period.