Sign in to follow this  
TheAverageJoe

MTA NYC to phase out Metrocard by 2018

Finally! For a city that size and using old fashion fare cards is just sad. So many cities around the world are already using RFID cards for years or even for decades.

It's great that they want to phase out the Metrocard...only they have been talking about this for quite some time, and a number of experiments have come and go, with little to no advancement.  They will have to get rid of it by 2018 because of limitations with the Metrocard system, mainly back end (internal).  It's nice that they are trying it out on Select Bus Service lines, especially since it would be a reasonable transition from those awful street boxes that take fares from the Metrocard and print out POP receipts.  Until they get it to a point where it is systemwide, I'm just going to raise an eyebrow and put on my skepticism cap.

The MetroCard is barely 20 years old, it's not THAT old at all. Secondly, this is completely illogical as it is 2019, and everyone is still using them!

On 3/17/2019 at 9:42 PM, Chris.A said:

The MetroCard is barely 20 years old, it's not THAT old at all. Secondly, this is completely illogical as it is 2019, and everyone is still using them!

Its pushed back but they are going with a fare card like every where else with also mobile device as well

On 1/12/2020 at 8:17 PM, TheAverageJoe said:

Its pushed back but they are going with a fare card like every where else with also mobile device as well

NICE bus says that they want to have OMNY on all their buses systemwide by the end of this year. I think MTA LIRR said that too.