Jump to content

The New CPTDB Forum and Wiki


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mike from edmonton said:

Or you could save the time and effort and pull the plug on these damn reputation points (this is not facebook, nor high school), and it's nearly as bad as the damn post number queens that live and die by their counts, QUALITY not quantity eh?

HERE HERE!  (Notice I didn't like your post!)  

I don't see what purpose it serves if there is not a way to rate something  the opposite way. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I think having a reputation system is preferable to having one syllable posts that consist exclusively of smiley faces like ":lol:" or people saying "LOL" or "+1" or anything like that. It leaves more room in the thread for actual conversations, and if you have nothing interesting to say, you don't have to waste a post sharing your agreement with the person.

I know of a number of communities where only positive reputation is allowed and not negative, although I wouldn't have a problem with negative reputation being a thing.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mike from edmonton said:

Oh for sure, those 1 word posts are just "count generators" at best, nothing of any value and should be purged as they appear

Our rep system only allows positives, BUT there has to be a way to neg rep a lousy/bad/offensive post too without involving the mods. 

I've seen voting circles where some posters have inflated counts as a result.  So the whole system is useless

For those of us that are having issues with excessive signature images, comments etc, there is an X dropdown  on the right hand side that allows you to ignore all signatures or just the ones you have selected.  Works GREAT!

You might have earned yourself a glass of juice at breakfast for that "discovery" about the signatures. I'll even buy you a beer but I don't think you'll take me up on that. Already blocked 2 sigs from this thread alone which are too damn large.

Random observations about the use of liking posts....

Seems that most of the times I've been "liked" it when I was being a dick to someone for one reason or another. Indeed take a look in the ex CT D40LF thread in the Winnipeg section and all the posts telling certain individuals to settle down are the posts getting "liked". Yet, the post which probably deserved "liking" was the one with pics of the Calgary buses in the garage and they received no "likes" the last time I checked. That seems to go against the spirit of the whole system in the first place. I for one will continue only liking posts where someone is being schooled. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

But the flipside to that is... how many times does one person need to be told they've made an asinine post? 2 or 3 I can get, but anything beyond that seems excessive, especially if there's already a convo going on*. The like function, again, prevents the unnecessary barrage of posts voicing agreement, and lets the flow of the conversation resume quicker.

* Per post. If they make a second one, the countdown resets :P

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Like feature will remain enabled, to act as it does on Facebook. That is, to show that someone has liked a post, and the post author also receives a notification of their post being liked.

The member reputation system shall be hidden (thanks to 1604 for making the changes) because as discussed, there is not really any reason to have it. We decided not to enable it on any previous version of the forums also. For any posts you are concerned with, just click the Report post link, and someone will take care of it.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to make it so that posts do not merge in a topic.

 

I just created a new topic to show updates for my flickr page and put all the links and info in the forst post. I go back to the topic to post my most recent update and the posts merge instead of having 2 different posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MTL66 said:

Is there a way to make it so that posts do not merge in a topic.

 

I just created a new topic to show updates for my flickr page and put all the links and info in the forst post. I go back to the topic to post my most recent update and the posts merge instead of having 2 different posts.

IIRC, the board always automatically did that. If you make two consecutive posts in the same thread within just a few minutes, the two posts automatically merge to reduce clutter.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MTL66 said:

Is there a way to make it so that posts do not merge in a topic.

 

I just created a new topic to show updates for my flickr page and put all the links and info in the forst post. I go back to the topic to post my most recent update and the posts merge instead of having 2 different posts.

If you reply within 15 minutes, the posts will merge. Otherwise they'll be two separate posts.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for new features so far, I like it so much.

After new MediaWiki software is applied to the wiki, I can't reupload new version of existing file anymore. It's bit inconvenient because when I want to upload the new version with adjustments, I have to upload in another file and request to moving around file names. 

So If it's possible could you consider to add (reupload-own) as rights can be used on wiki editors (Editor group)?

  • Overwrite existing files uploaded by oneself (reupload-own)

This keep disallows another user still not able to overwrite which still need (reupload), but the only file owner and admin can modify and overwrite their pictures.

Thanks,

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Special:ListGroupRights

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-05-04 at 2:07 AM, Blue Bus Fan said:

I have notice that sometimes I have to sign in twice, one time in red and one time in colour that I have choosen. 

 

On 2016-05-07 at 9:32 PM, 1604 said:

Try clicking on the logo at the top of the page. It should redirect you back to being logged in, or at least only make you log in once.

The board has been doing this to me for a while now... even though I have "remember me" checked off, everytime I open up Firefox I need to hit the log-in button, enter my username and password into the bubble, hit enter, then a full-page log in screen appears and I need to re-enter my username and password, then it will log me in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Articulated said:

 

The board has been doing this to me for a while now... even though I have "remember me" checked off, everytime I open up Firefox I need to hit the log-in button, enter my username and password into the bubble, hit enter, then a full-page log in screen appears and I need to re-enter my username and password, then it will log me in.

When it redirects me to the full login page, I actually go back to the forum instead of logging in again, and voila, I'm in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2016 at 9:44 AM, Viva5113 said:

Thanks for new features so far, I like it so much.

After new MediaWiki software is applied to the wiki, I can't reupload new version of existing file anymore. It's bit inconvenient because when I want to upload the new version with adjustments, I have to upload in another file and request to moving around file names. 

So If it's possible could you consider to add (reupload-own) as rights can be used on wiki editors (Editor group)?

  • Overwrite existing files uploaded by oneself (reupload-own)

This keep disallows another user still not able to overwrite which still need (reupload), but the only file owner and admin can modify and overwrite their pictures.

Thanks,

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Special:ListGroupRights

Good suggestion and thanks for finding the exact permission! I've enabled it, let me know how it goes.

23 hours ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

I've noticed that when you try to attach an image (where the max is 5 MB; if I recall correctly it used to be only 100 KB), it is automatically resized to 100 x 100 or less, and if you expand it by dragging the corners, it becomes blurred. If you click on the image and try to type in larger numbers, it tells you "please select a value that is no more than 100". Is there a reason for this (especially given the increase from 100 KB to 5 MB), and is it possible to attach larger, clearer images?

Here's a sample image automatically resized, and then augmented (blurred):

 Galaxy S2 Big Bang wallpaper.jpg 

Another thing that happens sometimes is when I start typing the website's URL and the browser automatically suggests cptdb.ca, and I click enter, instead it takes me to a different site like youtube or google, so I have to re-enter cptdb's URL again. I don't know if this glitch is caused by the software or just my computer... And in those cases I'm not logged in on cptdb. It seems that logging in on a computer would log me out of my phone, and vice versa.

And I double-posted the above paragraph just to check if the posts will indeed merge:P

Regarding the 100x100 limit in posts, this is working as intended. Thumbnails reduce load times and data consumption, but the full size image is still available when you click on the thumbnail.

The second issue sounds like something specific to the browser you're using on your computer.

You should be able to stay logged in on multiple devices as long as you select the 'Remember Me' option on the login form.

4 hours ago, Articulated said:

 

The board has been doing this to me for a while now... even though I have "remember me" checked off, everytime I open up Firefox I need to hit the log-in button, enter my username and password into the bubble, hit enter, then a full-page log in screen appears and I need to re-enter my username and password, then it will log me in.

I've turned something back on to help avoid this (and hopefully not cause other issues this time :D)! It should be okay now but let me know if it continues to occur.

4 hours ago, School Bus 101 said:

For all of my previous posts that contain pictures in them, the posts display the same picture two or three times even though I did not upload that many pictures into the post. Is there any way to fix this? Here is an example of what the problem is:

 

screen shot.JPG

Unfortunately this is a side effect of the issues we had with converting older posts when we upgraded to the new board version, and outside of manually going through and editing each post, there's no fix.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something seems buggy with images. I'm seeing multiple examples where images have been duplicated or even triplicated in a post.

https://cptdb.ca/topic/16194-ets-electric-bus-testing/?do=findComment&comment=720047

https://cptdb.ca/topic/16194-ets-electric-bus-testing/?do=findComment&comment=720757

The above thread in general has a lot of examples from different board members.

Another random example:

https://cptdb.ca/topic/16817-amtrak/?do=findComment&comment=730107

Of course, I sure hope this isn't just something on my end!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-05-14 at 10:46 PM, 1604 said:

I've turned something back on to help avoid this (and hopefully not cause other issues this time :D)! It should be okay now but let me know if it continues to occur.

Seems to be working fine again on my end. Thanks for fixing it!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Something seems buggy with images. I'm seeing multiple examples where images have been duplicated or even triplicated in a post.

https://cptdb.ca/topic/16194-ets-electric-bus-testing/?do=findComment&comment=720047

https://cptdb.ca/topic/16194-ets-electric-bus-testing/?do=findComment&comment=720757

The above thread in general has a lot of examples from different board members.

Another random example:

https://cptdb.ca/topic/16817-amtrak/?do=findComment&comment=730107

Of course, I sure hope this isn't just something on my end!

Well that's not good. Thanks for pointing that out and including examples. I'll follow up...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2016 at 10:46 PM, 1604 said:

Regarding the 100x100 limit in posts, this is working as intended. Thumbnails reduce load times and data consumption, but the full size image is still available when you click on the thumbnail.

The second issue sounds like something specific to the browser you're using on your computer.

You should be able to stay logged in on multiple devices as long as you select the 'Remember Me' option on the login form.

Aside from attachments, is there a way to post pictures so that they show up in full size in the post, other than by copypasting them from other webpages (which, as mentioned earlier, may stop showing because their URL may change)? I don't see an upload tool aside from attaching files.

Unfortunately, it seems the "remember me" button doesn't do much in keeping me logged in on whichever devices I want to be "remembered" (I always select that option when I log in on my computer or phone).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

Aside from attachments, is there a way to post pictures so that they show up in full size in the post, other than by copypasting them from other webpages (which, as mentioned earlier, may stop showing because their URL may change)? I don't see an upload tool aside from attaching files.

Unfortunately, it seems the "remember me" button doesn't do much in keeping me logged in on whichever devices I want to be "remembered" (I always select that option when I log in on my computer or phone).

No, sorry.

Do the login issues still persist? I've made some changes that could potentially fix the problem you're describing.

4 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

How can I attach photos in messages as it doesn't have that "drag files here to attach" option on the bottom and I already have tried dragging my photo into the message box.

Enabled this now. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...