The New CPTDB Forum and Wiki

On 9/4/2016 at 7:30 PM, 1604 said:

I'm not sure what would be causing this. It should be okay now that there shouldn't be any background tasks running, but let me know if it's still slow.

Login still takes for 7 seconds to happen, regardless of the machine or connection I use ― I just tried it on a brand new iMac at the university, with 48 MBits/s fiber optics network.

Could this be a cookies issue? Cookies are wiped from disk everytime I close my browser.

On 4/18/2016 at 6:49 PM, webfil said:

Login still takes for 7 seconds to happen, regardless of the machine or connection I use ― I just tried it on a brand new iMac at the university, with 48 MBits/s fiber optics network.

Could this be a cookies issue? Cookies are wiped from disk everytime I close my browser.

You're right, it's still slow for me too. Thanks for testing in a different environment! It might just be a thing with the new software but I'll look into it.

16 hours ago, TransitfanJas0n said:

How did my reputation drop from +6 to -6 randomly? I guess I'm not really understanding how this reputation stuff works :wacko:

Good question.

On 4/13/2016 at 10:39 PM, Jon11 said:

I was editing the CPTDB Wiki and was inactive for a while and was logged out. Is there any way to increase the time limit a bit? I was never logged out before the upgrades.

Sorry for the slow response - are you sure you checked Keep Me Logged In when logging in to the Wiki? It shouldn't be logging you out if you selected that option, but let me know!

A couple days ago I received the following email:

Someone (probably you, from IP address [removed]) requested a reset of your
password for CPTDB Wiki (<https://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page>). The following user account is
associated with this email address:

Username:

Temporary password:
[removed]

This temporary password will expire in 7 days.
You should log in and choose a new password now. If someone else made this
request, or if you have remembered your original password, and you no longer
wish to change it, you may ignore this message and continue using your old
password.

I logged in using the temporary password and reset it back to the old one. As far as I can remember, I never requested a password reset. I would be very surprised if users can request to change someone else's password though. I have an idea of who might've made the request (not gonna point fingers), however.

Another thing I've noticed is that when you post an image, after several days it no longer displays correctly (this was a problem in the old CPTDB as well). Here's an example:

13089954_10201824248285017_1207319307_n.

Is there a reason why this is happening? Do images have an expiry date?

• Board Admin

We have purchased and installed a new SSL certificate so for any devices that previously complained about the LetsEncrypt certificate, hopefully this is now resolved.

In regards to Wiki passwords, the password reset email can be generated by anyone, but only the person with access to that email account can change the password. You did not have to reset the password - if you took no action, your Wiki password would have remained working.

For the images, there shouldn't be any expiry date. Can you provide the link to your post?

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, A. Wong said:

We have purchased and installed a new SSL certificate so for any devices that previously complained about the LetsEncrypt certificate, hopefully this is now resolved.

In regards to Wiki passwords, the password reset email can be generated by anyone, but only the person with access to that email account can change the password. You did not have to reset the password - if you took no action, your Wiki password would have remained working.

For the images, there shouldn't be any expiry date. Can you provide the link to your post?

Thanks!

I had no issues with the previous version, but now every time I view the Wiki a notice in my browser pops up saying there's an invalid security certificate.

5 minutes ago, Articulated said:

I had no issues with the previous version, but now every time I view the Wiki a notice in my browser pops up saying there's an invalid security certificate.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've changed the link at the top of the forum so it should now work without showing that error. Any existing bookmarks/links might need to be updated to remove the "www." to avoid encountering that error.

1 hour ago, A. Wong said:

I first tried to login using my old password but it gave me an error message, so I used the temporary password provided in the email and then reset it back. I guess anyone can type anyone's username and click "Forgot password?", which would send out the email.

1 hour ago, A. Wong said:

Thanks!

In the above example, the screenshot was from a private conversation, but here's an example of an old post which had pictures in it, which became [filename].jpg. My signature pic also stopped displaying correctly a couple of times, and I had to re-update my signature. I wouldn't be surprised if, after a while, the screenshot above will stop showing as well.

41 minutes ago, 1604 said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I've changed the link at the top of the forum so it should now work without showing that error. Any existing bookmarks/links might need to be updated to remove the "www." to avoid encountering that error.

Works great now. Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

I first tried to login using my old password but it gave me an error message, so I used the temporary password provided in the email and then reset it back. I guess anyone can type anyone's username and click "Forgot password?", which would send out the email.

In the above example, the screenshot was from a private conversation, but here's an example of an old post which had pictures in it, which became [filename].jpg. My signature pic also stopped displaying correctly a couple of times, and I had to re-update my signature. I wouldn't be surprised if, after a while, the screenshot above will stop showing as well.

The old password is designed to continue working and indeed I have checked that it does.

Some of the images you have posted that have stopped working are hosted on Facebook's servers. Facebook appears to periodically remove certain images, or at least alter their URLs. To avoid this you can use another image host or upload the images to the board as attachments (which never expire.)

The images in the post you linked were hosted using the CPTDB's old image upload tool and I'm not sure if those will be coming back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1604 said:

The old password is designed to continue working and indeed I have checked that it does.

Some of the images you have posted that have stopped working are hosted on Facebook's servers. Facebook appears to periodically remove certain images, or at least alter their URLs. To avoid this you can use another image host or upload the images to the board as attachments (which never expire.)

The images in the post you linked were hosted using the CPTDB's old image upload tool and I'm not sure if those will be coming back.

I see. Many thanks! I've edited the post I linked to include the pictures again.

• Like 1

On April 18, 2016 at 8:08 AM, TransitfanJas0n said:

How did my reputation drop from +6 to -6 randomly? I guess I'm not really understanding how this reputation stuff works :wacko:

It's happened again. I go offline for a few hours and one of my posts got liked, but then I realize that I'm -8.

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Using Firefox, I get the popup "would you like notifications" every time I change thread. No, I don't want notifications: can I get rid of this popup? (Answering "not now" does not prevent it from popping up next thread I view.)

Is the option "Always Block Notifications" available? That stops the constant pop ups for me.

Notifications.png

19 hours ago, TransitfanJas0n said:

It's happened again. I go offline for a few hours and one of my posts got liked, but then I realize that I'm -8.

This should be fixed now (for all members, too) but I'm not sure what caused it in the first place or if it'll happen again. Negative reputation shouldn't be possible with how things are set up right now. I'll keep an eye on it. :)

Notifications.png.22bd9c099b52d3e6af1be8

1 hour ago, 1604 said:

Is the option "Always Block Notifications" available? That stops the constant pop ups for me.

Notifications.png

No. All I get is (edited) Show for this Session and Not Now.

Edit again: but on the library computer, I do get Always Block Notifications as a choice. Both using Firefox.

The popup shows up when simply refreshing the page.

1 hour ago, 1604 said:

Is the option "Always Block Notifications" available? That stops the constant pop ups for me

Notifications have been bugging the hell out of me on my phone. I can deny them on one page, load a new page, and there's the pop up again. Damn thing makes a noise and shuts off my music which I don't recall that I allowed it to do. My browser didn't seem to have options to disable notifications... However, seems you can disable notifications on the board, but, there are two notifications that are disallowed by the administrator to disable? I think this would solve everyone's problems if we could choose to disable those via board accounts.

Clipboard01a.jpg

This should be fixed now (for all members, too) but I'm not sure what caused it in the first place or if it'll happen again. Negative reputation shouldn't be possible with how things are set up right now. I'll keep an eye on it. :)

I feel "reputation" is only good if you can influence it both positively and negatively. It might actually cause some to think twice before posting if suddenly they get slammed with a ton of negatives when they make inane posts. Of course, that opens a huge can of worms that would probably need a huge amount of policing. My personal opinion is if there isn't both the ability to rate positivity and negatively, then there should be nothing at all, for what it's worth.

Having said that, I did earn a free beer by "unliking" something I liked from a member who didn't want to be "liked". :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Transitfan39 said:

I noticed when I typed the website, a certificate page pops up, this happens when I go on the wiki page

CPTDB.PNG

Update your bookmark to the Wiki by removing "www."

• Like 1

On 4/25/2016 at 4:37 PM, M. Parsons said:

Notifications have been bugging the hell out of me on my phone. I can deny them on one page, load a new page, and there's the pop up again. Damn thing makes a noise and shuts off my music which I don't recall that I allowed it to do. My browser didn't seem to have options to disable notifications... However, seems you can disable notifications on the board, but, there are two notifications that are disallowed by the administrator to disable? I think this would solve everyone's problems if we could choose to disable those via board accounts.

Clipboard01a.jpg

Thanks for pointing this out. I've enabled those settings. Can you let me know if they're selectable now?

17 minutes ago, Transitfan39 said:

when I type the website, I type cptdb dot ca and that popped up, I never type www

Make sure that "https://" is typed in before it and that should solve the problem.

On 5/4/2016 at 6:12 PM, H4 5600 said:

How do you get or give someone negative feedback?? I know to get positive feedback someone has to like your posts but I haven't figured out negative feedback.

We're looking into this. Right now it seems like everyone's reputation is correct, but if anyone has or notices someone with negative reputation, please send me a PM. Thank you!

On 5/4/2016 at 0:07 AM, Blue Bus Fan said:

I have notice that sometimes I have to sign in twice, one time in red and one time in colour that I have choosen. 

Try clicking on the logo at the top of the page. It should redirect you back to being logged in, or at least only make you log in once.