The New CPTDB Forum and Wiki

Is there any chance the older posts with quoted material will get updated to show where the quote came from?  It's frustrating when reading older posts to not have a clear delineation as to what is being quoted and what is original material.  

It appears that when currently replying to a post by quoting it, it shows as a quote and what post you are quoting but all the older posts don't seem to show what post was quoted and the text just seems to run all together.   It's frustrating to read older posts.

edited to add:  I'm partially incorrect on this.  It seems that only some threads have this problem as I now see that there are some older threads that show quoted responses just fine.

44 minutes ago, roamer said:

Is there any chance the older posts with quoted material will get updated to show where the quote came from?  It's frustrating when reading older posts to not have a clear delineation as to what is being quoted and what is original material.  

It appears that when currently replying to a post by quoting it, it shows as a quote and what post you are quoting but all the older posts don't seem to show what post was quoted and the text just seems to run all together.   It's frustrating to read older posts.

edited to add:  I'm partially incorrect on this.  It seems that only some threads have this problem as I now see that there are some older threads that show quoted responses just fine.

Yep, older posts will be processed and updated to properly show quotes, links, formatting etc. It's just going to take a few days while the system goes through and processes all of them. :)

• Like 1

So far, I do not like the options to view new content since last visit - on the previous board, it automatically showed you everything since your last visit; now it only seems to go back a few days and I have no idea how inclusive the list actually is. Hopefully this is just a glitch related to the board being new and not a permanent problem.

57 minutes ago, Orion 1200 said:

So far, I do not like the options to view new content since last visit - on the previous board, it automatically showed you everything since your last visit; now it only seems to go back a few days and I have no idea how inclusive the list actually is. Hopefully this is just a glitch related to the board being new and not a permanent problem.

I believe it shows every post made after the upgrade.

Is there a way to switch from mobile to desktop mode on your phone? I can't find that option anywhere. Also, it seems you can't browse other members' content like before (topics that they posted in, not necessarily that they started), you can only view unread content that you posted in, but if you select "by member" it gives "Authors: ", i.e. those who actually started the thread. Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, D. Jacenkovic said:

Is there a way to switch from mobile to desktop mode on your phone? I can't find that option anywhere. Also, it seems you can't browse other members' content like before (topics that they posted in, not necessarily that they started), you can only view unread content that you posted in, but if you select "by member" it gives "Authors: ", i.e. those who actually started the thread. Thanks in advance!

1: No, it's one page that scales to the size of device you're using. Functionality between different screen sizes should be nearly identical, but let me know if there's something in particular you're missing.

2: If you click See their activity in the upper right of a member's profile, does this display what you want? It may still be missing some content due to the upgrade, however, that should populate later.

1) Yes, that's what I see when I view the site on my phone. The same was true with the original version of the site, but there was also an option to view the desktop version on your phone. I was wondering if the same option exists for the new version.

2) This displays their recent activity, including every latest post they made, and things like "followed someone" and "liked someone's post". In the old website, you could click "Find content" and it would display a list of topics they've posted in, including any unread topics.

Edit: another thing I've noticed is that it's no longer possible to view a member's friends list, including your own.

Is there an ability for a user to customize the board homepage by moving the right-hand column to the bottom? (Consisting of Member Statistics, Who's Online, Who's Chatting, Today's Birthday, and Upcoming Events)

On 4/4/2016 at 4:27 PM, D. Jacenkovic said:

1) Yes, that's what I see when I view the site on my phone. The same was true with the original version of the site, but there was also an option to view the desktop version on your phone. I was wondering if the same option exists for the new version.

2) This displays their recent activity, including every latest post they made, and things like "followed someone" and "liked someone's post". In the old website, you could click "Find content" and it would display a list of topics they've posted in, including any unread topics.

Edit: another thing I've noticed is that it's no longer possible to view a member's friends list, including your own.

Does clicking See their content and then selecting Posts or Topics in the left column (or under "Content Type" on mobile) give you what you want? Apologies in advance if I'm misunderstanding, it wasn't a feature I used frequently. If you mean the actual listing of every topic they've posted in (but not their actual post, or topics they've started), it doesn't look like that's available any longer.

Unfortunately, friends were removed in the new software and replaced by the new follower system.

1 hour ago, JCL said:

Is there an ability for a user to customize the board homepage by moving the right-hand column to the bottom? (Consisting of Member Statistics, Who's Online, Who's Chatting, Today's Birthday, and Upcoming Events)

This sadly isn't something we have the option to make user customizable. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 1604 said:

If you mean the actual listing of every topic they've posted in (but not their actual post, or topics they've started), it doesn't look like that's available any longer.

Unfortunately, friends were removed in the new software and replaced by the new follower system.

Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you for clearing that up :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noahrp24 said:

When I quote someone and I realize its the wrong person, I cannot seem to clear the quote even if I highlight the entire box where the quote would be. How do I delete quotes while typing a post?

On desktop, you can click the top of the quote box and hit delete. On mobile...not sure, actually! Good question. I'll let you know if I find out.

From what I've seen so far, I like the drag-and-drop for adding pictures, I just used it to add a picture to my previous post in the MPM-10 thread in Quebec, which I tired to add earlier but couldn't. I miss the drop-down list at the top that let me jump straight from one forum to another; is there any way you can restore this?

We ran into an issue with upgrading posts so that their links/quotes/attachments would show correctly. However, the issue should now be resolved: within the next day or two, all posts should be formatted correctly.

On 4/6/2016 at 7:56 PM, noahrp24 said:

When I quote someone and I realize its the wrong person, I cannot seem to clear the quote even if I highlight the entire box where the quote would be. How do I delete quotes while typing a post?

The update we installed yesterday improves this. You can now delete a quote by hitting backspace, and you can delete them on mobile now too. :)

4 hours ago, Mark Walton said:

From what I've seen so far, I like the drag-and-drop for adding pictures, I just used it to add a picture to my previous post in the MPM-10 thread in Quebec, which I tired to add earlier but couldn't. I miss the drop-down list at the top that let me jump straight from one forum to another; is there any way you can restore this?

I don't believe any such functionality exists on the new version. Sorry!

19 minutes ago, 1604 said:

The update we installed yesterday improves this. You can now delete a quote by hitting backspace, and you can delete them on mobile now too. :)

Oh that's great! Thanks for the update. I'm still used to using the old version that's why I was asking.

• Like 1

• Board Admin

I just wanted to shout out a huge thanks to Tallis (1604) for doing all the work for the forum and wiki software upgrades! Without his efforts we would not be on this new and improved software that we are using now. Many advancements have been made since the old software and we are now using the latest and greatest. It had been several years since the software was upgraded last, and Tallis has spent days of his time bringing us to where we are today.

As he mentioned, we are on a new, faster server. For those IT savvy people out there, this server has SSD hard drives and this should help with page load times. While the posts are rebuilding, some system resources are being used up, but I have noticed an increase in speed for both the forum and the wiki in general.

We hope that this is a welcome improvement for all CPTDB users. Thank you all for contributing to a community of enthusiasts that are passionate about their hobby. This community unites people interested in public transit from all across Canada, and we have built many relationships and compiled a lot of information through a collaborative effort. This is the purpose of the CPTDB and we thank you for your contributions.

• Like 6