Transit55 | Real time bus tracking for 6 Canadian cities

On 4/8/2017 at 3:11 PM, Gil said:

I haven't seen what format the data from MiWay is in, but your route map does show which branch the bus is operating when you click on it.  So it's buried somewhere in the data if you're inadvertently tracking it.

Sorry, what I meant is that there is no explicit reference to the route branch numbers. So while the route map shows the different branch, and the trip schedule reflects the branch, there's no specific reference to, for example, 1C instead of just 1. But I may be able to add this in manually.

Ideally, my hope is that MiWay can update the provided data to reflect what's shown on destination signs instead of just a general direction (e.g. "westbound").

I will look into what is feasible to try and make this happen. Thanks again for the suggestion and information! :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2016 at 12:48 AM, 1604 said:

Thanks for all the interest!

I would love to add more cities, but unfortunately, it's not as easy as just dropping in a different data feed and being done with it.

First and foremost, processing the data for each city multiple times per minute consumes server resources, which, sooner or later, translates into needing a beefier server, and then a higher monthly bill. It also takes time to set up, customize and adapt, and then maintain the site for each city. Lastly, even though many cities have GPS on their buses, not all of them make that data publicly available in the format the site is built around, or at all.

I also agree with Martin on his points about the app. The website is designed to scale well between PC and mobile, and developing an app would take a lot of extra work and time. Focusing solely on the web version allows me to devote all my attention to that instead of having to juggle between 2 or more different platforms.

Just reading this thread and fully appreciate your effort and predicaments. We are in a similar situation ourselves with out new Transit Web App (covers all different areas to yours BTW), requests do consume server resources and bringing on and maintaining a new region is time consuming.

Like yourself we decided against web apps and opted for responsive design web techniques instead. And actually when doing an "Add to Homescreen" on Chrome on Android you have something that is very similar to an app in feel. Apps are in vogue now but I wouldn't be surprised if there is eventually a move away from them back to web apps·

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@1604 Brampton Transit's tracking data recently became public (as it has finially made its appearance on Transee) it would be nice to have it on Transit55 as well for those who dont know the system well and want to know specifically when a certain bus is done its block and also for tracking interlines and such

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

As you've probably seen by now, there's an update to the site coming soon, and it's available now to check out.

Some of the changes and new features include:

• Directional arrows on bus icons.
  • Faster map updates.
  • Save up to 5 favourite buses, routes, or blocks to your home page.
  • Block explorer - explore schedules and get a sense of how routes are interlined with one another.
  • Updated fleet pages with direct links to the CPTDB Wiki.
  • Clean and accurate new maps from OpenStreetMaps, replacing Google Maps. (Google Maps reduced their free tier quotas and increased their pricing, and it was not going to be feasible to continue using their services.)

The full list of the changes can be found on the home page of each city.

A huge thanks to everyone here for continuing to use and support the site ... :)

Please feel free to shoot me a PM here or hit the contact link on the site if you have any thoughts or feedback you'd like to share.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Would it be possible to eventually add BC Transit to Transit55? They are installing some sort of Smart bus system in their buses (Nanaimo, Comox Valley, Whistler so far, Kelowna and Victoria are coming). BC Transit's "nextride" website is so basic, it doesn't provide as much information as your website, Transit55! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

@1604, has HSR given you the recent data feed? I ask because one of our Grande West Vicinity CNGs (1841) has been tracking as one of the ARBOC buses (1020) since it entered service on December 19th. Is it possible to switch it over manually?

I figured I'd let you know this so there's no confusion.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:44 PM, Chris W said:

@1604, has HSR given you the recent data feed? I ask because one of our Grande West Vicinity CNGs (1841) has been tracking as one of the ARBOC buses (1020) since it entered service on December 19th. Is it possible to switch it over manually?

I figured I'd let you know this so there's no confusion.

Thanks for letting me know - unfortunately that's something HSR will need to fix on their side.

On the topic of Hamilton - it seems the schedule info for the December 30 changes isn't available yet so only live bus locations with no trip/schedule info are showing. I've let them know and will try to get it fixed as soon as possible. Apologies for the inconvenience!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Disclaimer: I am currently under contract with Transcollines to provide GTFS and developper relation services. This post is not affiliated with Transcollines and thus does not reflect the interests of Transcollines.

Hey @1604

Just wanted to let you know that Transcollines GTFS-Realtime data is available and I would love to have it in Transit55.

Details are available here: https://github.com/transcollines/GTFS-RT

I'm currently working on fixing up the Transcollines pages (more specifically the fleet roster) in the Wiki so they can be up to date.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...