Transit55 | Real time bus tracking for 6 Canadian cities

logo_i.png
Real time bus tracking for Calgary, Edmonton, Hamilton, Mississauga, Brampton, and Saskatoon
Features:

• live map with current bus positions updated every 30 to 60 seconds
  • view full trip and block schedules
  • look up and search for buses by route, model, or fleet number
  • view bus/block history - routes/buses recently seen
  • integrated route detour/info notices (Calgary only)
  • fully mobile friendly

Go check it out: https://transit55.ca/

I've been working on this project for the longest while and I'm quite excited to finally be sharing it. Feel free to let me know about any thoughts or questions you have, or any issues you run into! :)

A huge thank you to A. Wong for getting the initial version off the ground and all the technical help and feedback along the way. Also a big thanks to everyone who tested the site and gave feedback!

• Like 4

Just tried it out, and I absolutely love it! This will make tracking so much easier now. I'm bookmarking this for sure!

Now all this needs is a mobile version for iOS/Android!

Thanks Nick! Glad you like it.

It's awesome!

Now the BYDs won't be so hard to find! ;)

The problem is the BYD's aren't being so reliable lately. Works splendid on my BlackBerry.

Thanks. :D

Wow! Maybe you guys should make a free app and make it iOS 6 or 7 friendly since some of us are stuck using pre-iOS 7 technology.

As for the Toronto version, you should make the colors for certain divisions:

Arrow Road - Red

Birchmount - Cyan

New Eglinton - Orange

Malvern - Blue

Mt. Dennis - Pink

Queensway - Green

Roncesvalles - Oilve

Russell - Magneta*

Wilson - Purple

* - Also includes Leslie which now houses the new Flexity streetcars.

Please also include division/garage for Toronto.

Hopefully you're planning on including Detroit Department of Transportation on there too-the existing DDOT tracker that doesn't require purchasing any smartphone apps (which isn't even hosted on the city of Detroit website) doesn't even show the fleet number, just the direction and a color code determining the delay from the scheduled window.

Wow! Maybe you guys should make a free app and make it iOS 6 or 7 friendly since some of us are stuck using pre-iOS 7 technology.

I can't say I know much about what it entails to build and maintain an app, or what Tallis and Co have in store for Transit55, but, I figure I'll share some of my points of view on apps.

First, why do you need an app? I have found the existing website to be incredibly functional. What could an app add that isn't already there? I imagine it would basically just port all of the existing data into a standalone program. That means you have an extra program using resources on your phone. What's the point? It's using the same data service on your phone as the website would use.

Second, you gave a great reason not to do an app. You're complaining about making it "friendly" for older software. That means that not only would they have to maintain and debug the web version, but multiple versions for old and new Android and Apple operating systems. And you expect this to be done for you for free.

As for the Toronto version, you should make the colors for certain divisions:

Please also include division/garage for Toronto.

Again, not an expert here, but, the data used by 3rd party real time websites and apps for trackers, stop predictors, etc. are only available to developers if the transit agency supplies the data feed. Obviously, it's then up to the transit agency what is contained in the data feed. As some have observed, in some cases fleet numbers don't appear on trackers, quite possibly because either the person programming the tracker, or the agency supplying the data, didn't feel it was relevant to the general public. For that reason, I don't see what relevance to the general public which garage a bus runs out of, so I'd be surprised if that is contained in public data feeds.

Thanks for all the interest!

I would love to add more cities, but unfortunately, it's not as easy as just dropping in a different data feed and being done with it.

First and foremost, processing the data for each city multiple times per minute consumes server resources, which, sooner or later, translates into needing a beefier server, and then a higher monthly bill. It also takes time to set up, customize and adapt, and then maintain the site for each city. Lastly, even though many cities have GPS on their buses, not all of them make that data publicly available in the format the site is built around, or at all.

I also agree with Martin on his points about the app. The website is designed to scale well between PC and mobile, and developing an app would take a lot of extra work and time. Focusing solely on the web version allows me to devote all my attention to that instead of having to juggle between 2 or more different platforms.

Thanks for all the interest!

I would love to add more cities, but unfortunately, it's not as easy as just dropping in a different data feed and being done with it.

First and foremost, processing the data for each city multiple times per minute consumes server resources, which, sooner or later, translates into needing a beefier server, and then a higher monthly bill. It also takes time to set up, customize and adapt, and then maintain the site for each city. Lastly, even though many cities have GPS on their buses, not all of them make that data publicly available in the format the site is built around, or at all.

I also agree with Martin on his points about the app. The website is designed to scale well between PC and mobile, and developing an app would take a lot of extra work and time. Focusing solely on the web version allows me to devote all my attention to that instead of having to juggle between 2 or more different platforms.

What would be your thoughts on a crowd funding campaign to help pay for the higher costs that come with expanding the service? Perhaps Patreon or some kind of subscription model of that type? HeritageUnits.com uses that sort of thing for pretty much the same reason.

What would be your thoughts on a crowd funding campaign to help pay for the higher costs that come with expanding the service? Perhaps Patreon or some kind of subscription model of that type? HeritageUnits.com uses that sort of thing for pretty much the same reason.

That's actually a really interesting idea, though I'll need to give it some thought before making any final decisions. :)

• 3 months later...

The July Update!

Calgary

• Added automatic garage tracking. This can be seen on the map, model listings, and more. Further information here.
  • Added an FAQ page.
  • Fixed an issue (four days ago) preventing Stampede floater buses from showing up (these are the FLT routes you might have seen).
  • Updated Out of Service bus text formatting to match that of revenue buses.
  • Implemented a work around for the data feed occasionally going blank - the map will now hold its last position until new data is available; no longer will it go entirely blank.

Edmonton

• Added "updated at" timestamps to buses on the map, displaying when the bus reported its location.

Hamilton

• Like 1

• 1604 changed the title to Transit55 | Real time bus tracking for Calgary, Edmonton, and Hamilton
On 7/18/2016 at 5:56 PM, OCSTOFan said:

Next add OC Transpo and STO to the site!

On 7/18/2016 at 6:12 PM, Transit 20 said:

would be nice if you could add GRT and Go Transit bus to your site.

That information actually has to exist first - STO and GO Transit do not provide it; OC Transpo only provides bus size information ('short bus', 'long bus', etc.); GRT uses the same INIT tracker as YRT that shows bus numbers when you mouseover the vehicles, but the bus number data would have to be part of the open data that they provide; I am yet to see any third party apps of YRT or GRT information that have them so I don't think that it's there.

• Like 2