Transit Fan Unlimited Flickr

Buzz2kb

Hi! Due to the imminent cessation of Picasa services, I've decided to create a Flickr gallery of all my transit pictures taken over the past decade. Featured so far are mostly pictures taken throughout the Southeastern US from 2009 onward, but more uploads back from my Florida days to come!

Address is https://www.flickr.com/photos/transitfanunlimited/

Hope that you'll enjoy my vast treasure trove!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another round of updates (May 31):

• Added 14 photos to my Coast Transit Authority (Gulfport-Biloxi, Mississippi) gallery.  (Highlights: 35ft. Gillig BRT hybrid 1507 now a route 34 Gulfport to Biloxi bus, Gulfport local route 37 now sees 29ft. Gillig BRT hybrid.  Trolley Replica 1401 is a dedicated D'Iberville Shopper Shuttle bus)
  • Added 14 photos to my Hub City Transit (Hattiesburg, Mississippi) gallery. (Highlight: System largely taken over by Ford F-series/Glaval Entourage cutaways)
  • Added 10 photos to my Wave Transit (Mobile, Alabama) gallery. (Highlight: The agency's 1600-series of new buses are long-wheelbase Ford F-series/Glaval Entourage cutaways that come in 2 different liveries)
  • Added 24 photos to Escambia County Area Transit (Pensacola, Florida) gallery. (Highlights: Eldorado National EZ-Rider II BRT's pictured in service, plus Gilig Low Floor 0737 adorned with new logos)
  • A revamped Crimson Ride (University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa) gallery that focuses largely on daytime shots on that service's buses with 19 new photos added. (Highlight: 4th Generation Novabus LFS 7031 is featured, and Eldorado National EZ-Rider II BRT's pictured in service)
  • Added 16 photos to my revamped Birmingham-Jefferson County Transit Authority gallery (Highlight: 600-series New Flyer XN40's pictured in service, with both non-wrapped buses on regular routes and wrapped bus on Magic City Connector service featured)

June 6 Update:

• Added 29 photos to Clarksville Transit System gallery.  (Highlights: Silver-based livery confined to 2015 and 2017 hybrid Gillig Low Floor's.  2015 diesel Gillig Low Floor 734 is a wrapped bus, so are all other pre-2015 buses numbered 729 and below)
  • Added 33 photos to Nashville MTA gallery. (Highlights: Ex-Music City Circuit Gillig BRT hybrid 676 now in regular livery.  Loads of 600-series suburban Gillig Low Floor's spotted on both Music City Circuit routes, plus Gillig BRT Hybrid 737 on the Green Circuit.  New Flyer XDE60 bus 126 pictured on local service 34)
  • Added 17 photos to Memphis Area Transit Authority bus gallery.  (Highlight: More 21700-series of 2017 Gillig Low Floor's pictured in service)

• 1 month later...

To those unfamiliar with how I name my transit pictures, here is a generic template of the filenames of most of them:

WWW-rXXX-YYY-Z

• WWW is my abbreviation of the operating transit agency,
  • rXXX refers to the route number, where XXX can vary between 1 to 3 digits (1 digit for agencies operating up to route number 9 like Albany (Georgia), 2 digits for those operating up to route 99 like Corpus Christi (Texas) and 3 digits for those operating routes 100 or above like VIA Metropolitan Transit,  I name single digit routes with agencies of the 2nd category as r0x, and those with the last category as r00x.  Double-digit routes with agencies of the 3rd category as r0xx).  Route suffix letters may also be present.
  • Exceptions to the above route numbering schemes are agencies using a NYC-style alpha-numeric combo of route names like former system in Jacksonville, Florida or those using only route letters or names like Murfreesboro Rover in suburban Nashville.  I use the entire alpha-numeric combo in the former case , and either full or abbreviated route names in the latter case.
  • For WMATA Metrobus in greater Washington DC, I also add the state codes DC, MD and VA before the route numbers to distinguish between the DC, Maryland and Virginia division routes.  For DC routes without a letter prefix and all Virginia routes, I simply use the route number without the usual r prefix to avoid confusion with R-prefixed DC routes.
  • I skip the route number/name part for vehicles pictured whlie not in service.
  • YYY refers to the fleet number of the vehicle pictured.  It can vary between 1 to 5 digits like the bus side of Dallas DART.
  • Whenever there is more than 1 picture of the same vehicle/route combo, the Z part of the template refers to the individual picture number.

Hope that this explainer can help future viewers of my vast collection!

• 2 weeks later...

July 29/30 update: 

Added 17 photos to Nashville MTA gallery (Highlights: Photos of EPA-2010 Gillig BRT hybrid bus 739 in fleet livery.  Also, I am finally to picture Proterra EcoRide BE35 electric buses on its Music City Circuit circulators, with buses 1301 and 1303 featured.  Photos of NFI XDE60's 131 and 133 in route 10- artics on that route is a Sundays only ops, are also featured).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 8:58 PM, Buzz2kb said:

June 6 Update:

• Added 29 photos to Clarksville Transit System gallery.  (Highlights: Silver-based livery confined to 2015 and 2017 hybrid Gillig Low Floor's.  2015 diesel Gillig Low Floor 734 is a wrapped bus, so are all other pre-2015 buses numbered 729 and below)
  • Added 33 photos to Nashville MTA gallery. (Highlights: Ex-Music City Circuit Gillig BRT hybrid 676 now in regular livery.  Loads of 600-series suburban Gillig Low Floor's spotted on both Music City Circuit routes, plus Gillig BRT Hybrid 737 on the Green Circuit.  New Flyer XDE60 bus 126 pictured on local service 34)
  • Added 17 photos to Memphis Area Transit Authority bus gallery.  (Highlight: More 21700-series of 2017 Gillig Low Floor's pictured in service)

Oops!  I've apparently forgotten to upload those 17 Memphis pictures!  But they should be here now!

• 2 weeks later...

2 more brand new galleries in August 29 Update:

• 41 photos in Sioux City Transit (Sioux City, Iowa) gallery (Highlights: This is the first Iowa agency I've fanned on.  It has some likely second-hand 40ft. buses used for trippers.  1 of at least 2 D40LF's, a Gillig Low Floor with pre-2002 front and 2 with the current regular front are featured here)
  • 33 photos in Sioux Area Metro (Sioux Falls, South Dakota) gallery (Highlights: Agency is the only one in South Dakota using heavy-duty buses, with some 2002 baby Gillig Low Floor's still in service).

Fleet narratives on these two agencies to come!

• Thanks 2

Here is a re-post of the August 27 update on the only two agencies in Nebraska using heavy-duty buses:

• 80 photos in Omaha Metro gallery (Highlights: Modified 1994 Flixible Metro's and 1998 Gillig Phantoms are still in service, as are 2000-built Gillig Low Floor's.  Also, the 2014 New Flyer XD35's are the agency's newest buses).
  • 47 photos in StarTran (Lincoln, Nebraska) gallery (Highlights: City routes are totally in the hands of Gillig Low Floor's, with the 2001 examples still in service)

Fleet narratives on these two agencies to come under the 2 agency's threads!

• Thanks 1

September 2 Update featuring ALL 4 non-college fixed route transit agencies in North Dakota:

• 18 photos in Capital Area Transit (Bismarck, North Dakota) gallery.  (Highlights: The 1500 series are 35ft. Gillig Low Floor's and there are two of them.  Pioneer Gillig 401 in action but no 600's spotted)
  • 18 photos in Minot City Transit (Minot, North Dakota) gallery. (Highlights: No AM General's seen in service, but 2 Eldorado National EZ-Rider II BRT's are featured)
  • 32 photos in Cities Area Transit (Grand Forks, North Dakota) gallery. (Highlights: Neither DE35LFR was spotted in service, but both elderly baby Gillig buses 31 and 42 were in use, together with both D35LFR's, 2 Arboc's and 2016 Ford cutaway 161)
  • 93 photos in MATBUS (Fargo, North Dakota/Moorhead, Minnesota) gallery. (Highlights: On the North Dakota side, all 6 XDE40's are featured, as is 2017 XD35 bus 4172; but no DE35LFR's were spotted.  On the Minnesota side, it's either XD35's featuring buses from 2015 to 2017 or 2005 Orion VII's.  D35LFR 1020 was not spotted.  Note that I use 3 different prefixes for route numbers in that gallery to designate routes in the agency's 3 sub-systems.  The F-prefix refers to Fargo/West Fargo, North Dakota routes, M-routes  are Moorhead/Dilworth, Minnesota routes and U-routes are North Dakota State Univesity/NDSU shuttles)

Fleet narratives on the above agencies to come!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

September 16 Update (Likely to be my final September update):

1. 2 more 21700-series of 2017 Gillig Low Floor's pictured in service, including wrapped bus 21709.  
  2.  MATA is finally using 3-digit route numbers on its express routes, which are designated as Xyy0 in my gallery; where yy is the parent daytime route .  For instance, route 340 Walnut Grove Express is derived from route 34 Walnut Grove, while route 400 Wolfchase Express is the route 40 Wolfchase express trip spun off to become its own route.  However, route 280 Airways Express only vaguely follow the route 28 Holmes south of Airways Transit Center and shares the same southern end-of-line (IRS Service Center).
  3. Pictured all the weekdays only routes from the August 2017 service change, including pilot route 31 Firestone (segment of the old route 31 Crosstown).  It is run with a 29ft. Gillig Low Floor diesel bus built to MATA Plus (paratransit) specification with no bike rack when I spotted the route yesterday.

This is likely to be my last update on MATA's bus operations for a while unless further new routes come up in future service changes.

1. All secondhand heavy-duty buses I've spotted  (including ex-Foothill Transit Gillig Low Floor's 2015-2016, ex-Charlotte NovaBus LFS's 2017-2018 and baby Gillig BRT 1529 from the same source) are now wrapped in navy blue.  So the liveries from their former owners are apparently history there! (I did not see LFS bus 2019 yesterday).
  2. All dual-door Freightliner/Glaval Apollo medium-duty buses I've spotted are wrapped in navy blue as well (So formerly white 1420 and 1425 are now navy blue.  I am unable to confirm the livery status of bus 1424, as I did not spot it in service yesterday)
  3. The new 40ft. Gillig Low Floor's are finally here, they are numbered 1730 and 1731.  Both are deployed on the Bronze (formerly Brown) Park and Ride route from the old Oxford Mall.
  4. The campus circulator routes are there as well.  They are called Rebel Red and Rebel Blue and use the Freightliner/Glaval Apollo's displaced from the Bronze route.

• 1 month later...

November 5 update (2 brand new galleries on transit agencies in Hawaii):

• Added 38 photos to Maui Bus (Maui County Hawaii) gallery.  Highlight: All non-commuter routes use Eldarado National EZ-Rider or Axcess buses, including the 35ft. MB400-series with conventional fronts not mentioned in the agency's CPTDB wiki page.
  • Added 171 photos to Oahu TheBus (Oahu County, Hawaii) gallery. Highlights: Elderly Gillig Phantoms, New Flyer D60LF artics and Optima Opus still in service, alongside brand new baby Gillig's in the 20-series (silver headsigns with side destination display) and nearly new Xcelsior artics (Both hybrid and diesel).  Online-exclusive pictures of 1-door 35ft. Gillig Low Floor's in the 50-series (amber headsigns) and 60-series (silver headsigns), 40ft. Gillig Low Floor's numbered 280 and above, in the 600 series (including examples featuring side destination displays) and hybrids numbered 950 and above are also here!

• 4 months later...

Finally updates after a 4-month hiatus with 6 brand new galleries:

Fleet narratives on the above agencies to follow soon!

• 3 weeks later...

April 10th Update:

• 3 photos in RTD Denver Rail gallery (Highlight: Light Rail cars on Aurora's R Line are featured)
  • 121 photos RTD Denver Bus gallery (Highlights: Most of Boulder's sub-network, and all of Douglas County's and Longmont's sub-networks of fixed route buses featured here)
  • 21 photos in CTA Chicago Bus gallery (Highlights: New Flyer D40LF's and Novabus LFS's taken at Jefferson Park Blue Line CTA Station)
  • 41 photos in PACE Suburban Bus gallery (Highlights: Pictures taken at Jefferson Park and Rosemont Blue Line CTA stations, including Eldorado National Axcess BRT's in both 1 and 2-door versions with bonded windows)
  • 12 photos in Memphis Area Transit Authority Bus gallery (Highlights: First pictures of the all-white 21800-series of Gillig Low Floor's with bonded windows)

• 1 month later...

June 9th update featuring a further transit agency in Wyoming and 4 agencies in Idaho:

Fleet narratives on all agencies but TRPTA (an 100% cutaway agency) to come imminently.

• 3 months later...

Bumper September 16th update:

Fleet narratives on the Utah and Arizona properties which is not 100% cutaway or modified school buses will appear in the near future.  (Note: The NAU Arboc bus will feature as a bonus picture in my upcoming Mountain Line post, while the Grand Canyon National Park Lodges Orion VII will appear as a bonus picture in my Grand Canyon National Park Shuttle thread)

• 3 months later...

January 6th Update:

133 more photos in Valley Metro (Phoenix) gallery.  (Highlights: Likely online-first picture of RPTA New Flyer XN40, 2 more variants of Scottsdale Trolley - 35ft. Gillig LF hybrid with conventional battery cover and trolley replica decorations plus 29ft. CNG in trolley replica configuration, New Flyer L40LFR in both color schemes and buses from 3 more circulator systems - Avondale ZOOM, Glendale GUS and Mesa BUZZ)

103 photos in Sun Tran (Tucson, Arizona) gallery  (Highlights: The only heavy duty buses spotted are Gillig LF's and BRT's from 2006 or later.  2 different types of cutaways on Sun Shuttle flexible service are also featured)

9 photos in Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport Rental Car Shuttles gallery.  (Highlight: Service is operated by Eldorado National Axcess with non-BRT bodies in 2 different liveries)

Revised link to the CTA Chicago Rail gallery.

• 3 months later...

Bumper April 14th update:

15 new galleries featuring operators from Colorado

All operations utilizing transit-style buses will be showcased in future threads in the due course.  Unusually, because of an upcoming series on the transit scene in the Colorado ski towns, including an intro piece, I'm holding off from revealing the manufacturers of the buses with these agencies until the threads showcasing these operations.

• 3 weeks later...

May 2nd update (My first update covering Southern US transit agencies for over a year):

The developments in Chattanooga, Huntsville, Nashville and Oxford will be depicted in upcoming posts under existing threads for the respective agencies.  In addition, I will publish a general thread covering the transit scene in suburban Nashville.