tomsbuspage

CitiBus (Watertown, NY)

Is it me or does the paint scheme on the Orion V in the photo in the link look similar to the paint scheme Suffolk Transit uses?

20 hours ago, MAX BRT said:

Whats your informed opinion on the idea?

Centro taking over Citibus doesn't make a lot of sense if it remains a local Watertown system only.  Their help and expertise would be beneficial if Jefferson County was truly behind the idea of expanding the bus system to serve the army base and the whole county.  Unfortunately this does not appear to be the case.  Maybe another opportunity will come along in the future.

• Like 2

I've heard it was Gillig but there is nothing on the City of Watertown website to confirm the order.  There is a reference to at least three new buses to be purchased, but the city is also buying an overhauled Series 50 engine for use in one of the Orion V's.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:29 AM, RailBus63 said:

Some more information on new buses here - looks like one 35-foot bus will be purchased for the heavy Arsenal St. route and three 26-foot buses will be sourced from a New Jersey manufacturer (maybe a dealer?):

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/news03/watertowns-citibus-en-route-for-new-buses-20180322

Sounds like 3 cutaways

17 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Sounds like 3 cutaways

Good luck to them on the days that the lone transit bus needs service and they have to run a cutaway on Arsenal St.  :o  They should probably pick up a second-hand Gillig 35-foot or 29-foot bus as a spare. 

5 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

Good luck to them on the days that the lone transit bus needs service and they have to run a cutaway on Arsenal St.  :o  They should probably pick up a second-hand Gillig 35-foot or 29-foot bus as a spare. 

Judging by the New Jersey address on the article, the 35 foot bus could be a Vicinity coming from Alliance Bus Sales. I guess people should get their shots of the Orions while they still can.

• Like 1

I was in Watertown yesterday and Bus # 1880 was in service on Route B.  There was also an unnumbered CitiBus Ford Cutaway that I saw quite often.   Not sure if it was on a regular route or in Para service.  (Photos are screen grabs from my dash cam).

Watertown1.jpg

Watertown2.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

The new 'fleet' almost ready for service - as we all assumed, it's one ElDorado 35-footer and cutaways.  The Orion V's will be off the road by May 1st.  :(

https://www.watertowndailytimes.com/news03/new-citibuses-almost-ready-to-ride-video-20190412

Interesting that CitiBus ordered a single-door El Dorado.  Then again, the last time I rode an Orion V there, the back door wasn't used.

It looks as if I've taken my last photos of the Orions, because I don't see myself being able to make it to Watertown by the end of this month. :(

On 4/17/2019 at 9:41 AM, sdgta2008 said:

Will they be keeping any buses as a spare in case the Eldorado breaks down...?

Unlikely given the age and apparently poor condition of the Orions.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:41 AM, sdgta2008 said:

Will they be keeping any buses as a spare in case the Eldorado breaks down...?

CitiBus only need three buses to maintain service, so the extra two cutaways will maintain a good spare ratio.  Service is every forty minutes on the Arsenal-Mall route, and every eighty minutes on the other four routes, which are interlined.

http://www.watertown-ny.gov/DocumentView.asp?DID=1082

On 4/17/2019 at 8:53 AM, RailBus63 said:

The new 'fleet' almost ready for service - as we all assumed, it's one ElDorado 35-footer and cutaways.  The Orion V's will be off the road by May 1st.  :(

https://www.watertowndailytimes.com/news03/new-citibuses-almost-ready-to-ride-video-20190412

The cutaways are ARBOC Spirit of Freedoms by the look of it. Interesting that they got those.

About those new buses ...

Watertown Daily Times - Riders report problems with new CitiBus fleet

Not sure why a brand-new bus would have a 'rusty bolt' pop loose and expose the street.  I had read previously that they were purchasing the ElDorado bus from New Jersey IIRC, so maybe it was built previously on spec and sat in a bus distributor's yard for a while?  

9 hours ago, RailBus63 said:

About those new buses ...

Watertown Daily Times - Riders report problems with new CitiBus fleet

Not sure why a brand-new bus would have a 'rusty bolt' pop loose and expose the street.  I had read previously that they were purchasing the ElDorado bus from New Jersey IIRC, so maybe it was built previously on spec and sat in a bus distributor's yard for a while?  

I once saw on the show 'Mayday' that a manufacturer thought they had purchased new bolts, but they were actually polished used bolts; this causing a crash. I wonder if that could have happened here?