General discussion about any of the popular chassis and cabs used by cutaway transit buses, shuttle buses, or motorcoaches: Ford E-Series, Ford Transit, Ford Super Duty, Chevy Express, Freightliner etc.

I'll start off with the 2017 Ford Super Duty. For 2016 and before, the Super Duty cab chassis variants (including buses) have been stuck at 300hp and 660lb*ft for the 6.7 diesel, while the pickup version's torque and horsepower have continued to increase. However, for 2017, the all new Super Duty will be revealed, and Ford claims upgraded powertrains for both the pickup and chassis cab. Ford's Super Duty is very popular with cutaways; for example, the Eldorado Aero Elite. The Super Duty chassis already makes for a very powerful bus, so it would be exciting seeing an even more powerful chassis.

For the Ford Transit chassis, I have yet to see any cutaway buses with that chassis in person, however I did just come across one model by Starcraft that uses the Transit for a narrow body model:

http://www.starcraftbus.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=350&Image=11929

EDIT: I see Girardin is using the Transit for it's MicroBird offerings as well:

http://mbcbus.com/

For the Ford Transit chassis, I have yet to see any cutaway buses with that chassis in person, however I did just come across one model by Starcraft that uses the Transit for a narrow body model:

http://www.starcraftbus.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=350&Image=11929

EDIT: I see Girardin is using the Transit for it's MicroBird offerings as well:

http://mbcbus.com/

Seems a bit underpowered:

"3.7L Ti-VCT V6/275 HP @ 6,000 RPM/260 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 RPM

3.2L Power Stroke® Diesel/185 HP @ 3,000 RPM/350 lb.-ft.@ 1,500-2,500 RPM"

I found a document with all the tech specs: http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2016/Shuttle_Bus_2016_LoRes.pdf

Chevrolet is discontinuing the Duramax for the Express 4500 cutaway for 2017. Agencies who want that chassis are now switching to Propane or CNG as GM offers that as a factory installed option.

Ford website says the 2017 3V Triton V10 (for Super Duty) will only make 288hp and 424lbft of torque, which is a huge derating compared to 2016's 362/457. However the E series 2v Triton V10 will still make 305/420. Seems a bit counterintuitive that they would derate the 3V so much when it is used for much heavier duty vehicles. We'll just have to see what they put on the 2017 shuttle bus spec sheet, which should come out soon.

Weird, just checked the 2016 shuttle sheet again and says that the 2016 e series v10 made 320hp/460lbft even though on the 2016 e series cutaway spec sheet it says 305/420; maybe the shuttle buses have different specs drom the regular chassis cab? Really confusing

9 hours ago, themikepeng said:

Weird, just checked the 2016 shuttle sheet again and says that the 2016 e series v10 made 320hp/460lbft even though on the 2016 e series cutaway spec sheet it says 305/420; maybe the shuttle buses have different specs drom the regular chassis cab? Really confusing

I suspect that they have a number of different specs for the same engines based on things like duty cycle. Frankly, that only makes sense - a fleet vehicle such as a bus or a garbage truck is likely to spend more time on the road than something such as a rental box truck.

The other thing that could come into play is the EPA rules for various types of vehicles. They may have more stringent emissions rules for buses and fleet vehicles, for instance, which would necessitate a downgrade of horsepower and torque.

Dan

Some of our 2012 Goshen GC IIs on a Chevy G4500 chassis. These are powered by a Duramax Diesel 6.6L engine. Overall, they're good buses, but they aren't the types to ride down a pot hole infested street.

CAT Cub on the 12 Henry @ Savannah State

CAT Cub 1202 @ Transit Center on the 100X

CAT Cub Standing By @ Airport

CAT Cub 1203 on the 4 Barnard @ Walmart

On 9/1/2016 at 8:02 PM, themikepeng said:

Ford website says the 2017 3V Triton V10 (for Super Duty) will only make 288hp and 424lbft of torque, which is a huge derating compared to 2016's 362/457. However the E series 2v Triton V10 will still make 305/420. Seems a bit counterintuitive that they would derate the 3V so much when it is used for much heavier duty vehicles. We'll just have to see what they put on the 2017 shuttle bus spec sheet, which should come out soon.

6.8L v10 is being replaced with a new 7.0L v8 that is likely an enlarged version of the 6.2L Boss v8 used in the Raptor and Super Duty. The derating is likely there to not have it compete with the F-650 and F-750 which have that rating. Though the new F-550 has a shorter wheel base, so you could only really use it for smaller buses. Those who need a 32' LPG, Gasoline or CNG cutaway might be a in bind. I do wonder if companies have stockpiled their F-550 chassis so they can make cutaways while working out the new chassis. I do know that Champion has a LF F-550 cutaway which is rather cool. 

Also, the Ford Fleet Shuttle bus website still shows the older models, so they might still be in production for a while. 

• Like 1

Though the new v8 engine might be a clean sheet design, and it said to come out in 2020. Perhaps Ford could make an even bigger version of that engine for larger Class 6 and 7 trucks. 

Ford recently applied for the trademark E-550 which could mean a class 5 E series cutaway. Probably good for larger cutaways or even LF ones as the F series while a good platform is not as ideal for a cutaway. E series has a taller cab which does have better visibility. However, it would require a new engine as the E series engine bay is limited when compared to the Super Duty.

On a Ford forum there are talks of a 7X engine which would be 7.3L v8 and that would have enough grunt for the E-550 and future cutaways. This new engine would likely be a tall deck 6.2L engine and is called Godzilla. It would be a SOHC 2v engine as that would fit in the E-550 engine bay. I think the cutaway bus market will respond well to this new product. Expect CNG/LPG versions of this new engine and E-550 as there is a growing number of markets that are switching their cutaways from Gas/Diesel to LPG/CNG.

7 hours ago, Chinese Daniel said:

E series is a bit off an odd design and it can't fit the 6.7. Maybe the plan is to have the E series compete in the gas/cng/lpg market and the f series for larger gas/lpg/cng and diesel applications. E series will be positioned to compete with cabovers and cutaway companies keeping the f series for those who don't mind the pickup cab. E series is still capable despite being on an old platform unless ford is developing a new version on a new cab and chassis.

Also heard rumors of ford shutting down the v10 line but I assume they have enough stockpIled to last them a year or so.

• Thanks 1

I can't wait the New 7x engine come out, I don't mind 6.8 V10 engine, because they are very long life.

My friend have a 2011 Newmar motor home, His 40 foot big caoch Was come with ford f53, that think never broke down in 100000 KM!

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2367362&highlight=windsor

Someone on a Foxbody Mustang group and YellowBullet might have spilled the beans on 7X. Could this be a pushrod after all or a OHC engine. Hard to tell though. There are also rumors of a 5.8L version and both versions would have DI and also offer port injection. Some even think it is a Powerstroke gas engine or something like that. Who knows for sure what engine this is going to be, or even some abandoned design.

15 hours ago, XN40 said:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2367362&highlight=windsor

Someone on a Foxbody Mustang group and YellowBullet might have spilled the beans on 7X. Could this be a pushrod after all or a OHC engine. Hard to tell though. There are also rumors of a 5.8L version and both versions would have DI and also offer port injection. Some even think it is a Powerstroke gas engine or something like that. Who knows for sure what engine this is going to be, or even some abandoned design.

The engine look like is a GM 8.1L。

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/03/2019-silverado-medium-duty-trucks-revealed/

New Silverado 4500HD, 5500HD, and 6500HD series truck. This is a little more akin to the old Kodiak/Topkick truck, but no GMC version is to be made. This new truck uses a pickup cab, but a traditional tilt hood and a Duramax diesel with Allison transmission. I definitely think there will be a gasoline/CNG/LPG version for fleets who are in jurisdictions that are not friendly to Diesel, but can be cheaper once you have the infrastructure in. Right now these are being depicted as a truck, but I am confident that the cutaway bus companies have their eye on this truck and will make buses off of it thanks to a new easy to upfit chassis. 

• Like 3

Does anyone know if any other agencies operated buses with the CBB Polar and CBB Tundra bodies? So far, I only have these

for the Polar:

BC Transit

Translink

Lethbridge Transit

for the Tundra:

BC Transit