Sign in to follow this  
kitchenerlrt

Porter Airlines

I was wondering where's Porter's next destination going to be? I heard many rumors about Newark (from Airliners.net), and also Halifax :angry: . Hopefully we'll see Detroit, Washington, Winnipeg, Qeuebec City in 2007. Plus, anyone know how they're doing in terms of load factors and service?

Considering Porter is catering to the Commuteing busness traveler

We could see quebec city and new york jfk or lga or newark and dc with in the next year or so

I was wondering where's Porter's next destination going to be? I heard many rumors about Newark (from Airliners.net), and also Halifax <_< . Hopefully we'll see Detroit, Washington, Winnipeg, Qeuebec City in 2007. Plus, anyone know how they're doing in terms of load factors and service?

Considering Porter is catering to the Commuteing busness traveler

We could see quebec city and new york jfk or lga or newark and dc with in the next year or so

The rumors are saying we'll see Newwark or Laguardia for sure. Quebec City, maybe. I can see Washington happen this year.

What about London, Ontario or Windsor?

I didn't hear London, but Windsor maybe. With the studies conducted in Waterloo Region, there's demand in Waterloo Region for some service to Ottawa, Montreal and Winnipeg. What are the odds that Porter might start flying out of Kitchener to Winnipeg, Ottawa or Montreal, after they start service to the U.S?

hl7534   

With Porter's current fleet of Bombardier Q400s, with a full payload, it would be able to travel as far as:

porterq400.gif

nonstop.

Of course, in order to launch longer distance routes, they could have a stopover somewhere, but that would be rather inconvenient to business travellers, hence, making it unattractive. The Q400 is probably the best turboprop aircraft in terms of range.

Flying jet aircraft (which would mean longer range) out of City Centre Airport is out of the question. A CRJ would never be able to make it out of the short runway at City Centre due to its short wings and lack of slats (on the CRJ-100 and 200), and an ERJ would never be able to manage, also because of its short wings. However, a Boeing 717, 737-500/600/700/800SFP, Airbus A318, A319 may be able to (with payload restrictions, right flap settings and provided there is a constant headwind during takeoff). However, due to noise issues and possibly not being able to yield much profit due to payload restrictions (having to leave passengers and cargo behind), in the end it would not be feasible for an airline to operate out of City Centre with jet (turbofan) airliners. Also, being unable to fully load the aircraft with fuel due to weight, the jets would not travel as far anyways.

porterq400.gif

post-497-1173142311_thumb.jpg

post-497-1173142311_thumb.jpg

I didn't hear London, but Windsor maybe. With the studies conducted in Waterloo Region, there's demand in Waterloo Region for some service to Ottawa, Montreal and Winnipeg. What are the odds that Porter might start flying out of Kitchener to Winnipeg, Ottawa or Montreal, after they start service to the U.S?

I highly doubt Porter would be the carrier, Waterloo Region is in talks with Air Canada to implement Jazz service out of YKF to Ottawa and Montreal, but nothing is confirmed by any means. The Market is there for Ottawa and Montreal service from YKF, Quikair provided that service, and it was doing well, but they had to pull out becuase of restructuring of their Edmonton-based operations to be more competitive in their home turf. The Region is just looking for someone to pick up that market again.

I'm surprised Westjet does not have any flights from YKF to ottawa/montreal since they fly out of YKF for points west

I highly doubt Porter would be the carrier, Waterloo Region is in talks with Air Canada to implement Jazz service out of YKF to Ottawa and Montreal, but nothing is confirmed by any means. The Market is there for Ottawa and Montreal service from YKF, Quikair provided that service, and it was doing well, but they had to pull out becuase of restructuring of their Edmonton-based operations to be more competitive in their home turf. The Region is just looking for someone to pick up that market again.

I'm surprised Westjet does not have any flights from YKF to ottawa/montreal since they fly out of YKF for points west

Actually those WestJet flights will be starting in mid-May, nothing has flown out of YKF to Western Canada yet. Also, those flights will only be going to Calgary and have no scheduled connections once there. Service could expand in the future, but the planned WestJet service is very limited right now.

Actually those WestJet flights will be starting in mid-May, nothing has flown out of YKF to Western Canada yet. Also, those flights will only be going to Calgary and have no scheduled connections once there. Service could expand in the future, but the planned WestJet service is very limited right now.

I believe he means why doesn't Westjet offer flights to Ottawa and Montreal from Kitchener :) . I don't think that there is enough demand for a 737 to Ottawa and Montreal each, but maybe a couple of CRJ or Dash aircraft. There are scheduled connections from Kitchener to Edmonton, Vancouver, Regina, Kelowna and Saskatoon via Calgary.

I believe he means why doesn't Westjet offer flights to Ottawa and Montreal from Kitchener :P . I don't think that there is enough demand for a 737 to Ottawa and Montreal each, but maybe a couple of CRJ or Dash aircraft.

I wasn't even addressing that. :) I was talking about the service starting up to Calgary because he said "WestJet offers service to points west" when that service hasn't started yet, which is the point I was clarifying, completely different tangent than Ottawa/Montreal service.

There are scheduled connections from Kitchener to Edmonton, Vancouver, Regina, Kelowna and Saskatoon via Calgary.

Only Calgary was listed on WestJet's website a couple weeks ago, so they've added stuff since.

I wasn't even addressing that. :) I was talking about the service starting up to Calgary because he said "WestJet offers service to points west" when that service hasn't started yet, which is the point I was clarifying, completely different tangent than Ottawa/Montreal service.

I know what you were addressing Greater Golden Horseshoe Transit :P . He was asking why doesn't Westjet offer flights from Waterloo to Ottawa and Montreal.

MaT   

I hope it comes to Windsor.. All we get is Jazz and Georgian Express.. The only places we can go from Windsor Airport is Toronto and Pelee Island :lol: We should have links to Chatham too for sure(most of VIAs passengers to Windsor are from Chatham so why not?) and London.

hl7534   

I hope it comes to Windsor.. All we get is Jazz and Georgian Express.. The only places we can go from Windsor Airport is Toronto and Pelee Island :lol: We should have links to Chatham too for sure(most of VIAs passengers to Windsor are from Chatham so why not?) and London.

Right across the border, there's DTW, which is Northwest's hub. From there you can travel to Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya, Amsterdam, London, Paris, Frankfurt etc nonstop...

MaT   

Ya I know, but practically nothing comes to Windsor airport...that's what I mean. More should come to windsor, its a big city that should have air service to most of ontario from our own airport.

I know what you were addressing Greater Golden Horseshoe Transit :lol: . He was asking why doesn't Westjet offer flights from Waterloo to Ottawa and Montreal.

No, he didn't ask a question, he just stated he's surprised they don't offer service, he didn't ask why they don't offer service. There's a fundamental difference in the vocabulary used, which is why you may be misunderstanding a bunch of different posts in different threads a little bit here and there. But enough of the arguments, I know what he said.

No, he didn't ask a question, he just stated he's surprised they don't offer service, he didn't ask why they don't offer service. There's a fundamental difference in the vocabulary used, which is why you may be misunderstanding a bunch of different posts in different threads a little bit here and there. But enough of the arguments, I know what he said.

Alright. Regarding Windsor's airport, you're probably not getting much service because of Detroit's airport right across the border. You should be happy with Jazz. Waterloo International doesn't even have Jazz...yet :lol:. Windsor had Westjet at one point though.

In Porter news, they've introduced Halifax as a new destination for the summer. There'll be two daily flights to Halifax from Ottawa and Montreal respectively. The Toronto-Ottawa frequency will go down to 7 daily, and the Toronto-Montreal will go down to 6 daily (in the summer). From Toronto, passengers can fly Toronto-Montreal-Halifax or Toronto-Ottawa-Halifax starting in June. Jazz now has some competition on the Montreal-Halifax and Ottawa-Halifax routes.

MaT   

Ya we had Westjet for maybe a year or two.. It came here 6 days a week then ut just stopped. :lol: Isn't the airport like a major hub for people coming into a city? Like if they revamped the airport and brought more services there, then more and more people(business,immigrants and tourists) would come to Windsor and it would enhance our image as well.. Our airport is crap though because of the management..They haven't made a penny since like 1997 or 1998. It was in the paper not too long ago.

Ya we had Westjet for maybe a year or two.. It came here 6 days a week then ut just stopped. :angry: Isn't the airport like a major hub for people coming into a city? Like if they revamped the airport and brought more services there, then more and more people(business,immigrants and tourists) would come to Windsor and it would enhance our image as well.. Our airport is crap though because of the management..They haven't made a penny since like 1997 or 1998. It was in the paper not too long ago.

I don't know about Windsor, but we don't even have transit service to our airport yet, depsite WestJet, Northwest, Charter Flights to the Carribbean and Quebec, and the future possibilty of Jazz service operating out of it as well. Transit service seems to be a pretty basic thing that YKF is lacking right now.

I don't know about Windsor, but we don't even have transit service to our airport yet, depsite WestJet, Northwest, Charter Flights to the Carribbean and Quebec, and the future possibilty of Jazz service operating out of it as well. Transit service seems to be a pretty basic thing that YKF is lacking right now.

Very true! There are rumors that GRT will start a route to YKF, but I can't see this route doing very well :angry: . Although the airport does have more flights, I doubt many passengers would go to the airport by bus (besides me :P). Hopefully Jazz can come here to YKF!

porter now serving halifax (seasional)?

TORONTO, March 8, 2007 – Porter Airlines will launch summer service to Halifax from Toronto City Centre Airport (TCCA) via Montreal and Ottawa beginning June 29 until Sept. 4. Canada’s newest airline will provide a total of four daily Toronto-Halifax return flights, with two via Ottawa and two via Montreal.

hl7534   

Juxt booked my Porter flights to Halifax via Montreal! I'm flying in July, but I won't reveal dates here due to security reasons.

Juxt booked my Porter flights to Halifax via Montreal! I'm flying in July, but I won't reveal dates here due to security reasons.

You better create an Airliners.net style trip report when you get back :):P:( . With pics :P