Fort Erie Transit.

map.man (Darrin)

3 minutes ago, J. Bullock said:

Why don't you take the 40 up to Niagara Falls and walk across?

It's an hour ride minimum to the falls, walk across the Rainbow Bridge, and then work out the schedule for the Fort Erie Shuttle over near Optimist Park.

If I can work around a Greyhound schedule, it's only about $3.00 to Fort Erie, and then working out the schedule from Princess and Waterloo station.

I might be able to shave a couple hours back and forth doing it through Peace Bridge crossing.

If I manage to have a couple hours extra in Fort Erie, I can maybe take lunch in at Happy Jacks (around the corner from the bus terminal at Fort Erie).

11 minutes ago, map.man (Darrin) said:

It's an hour ride minimum to the falls, walk across the Rainbow Bridge, and then work out the schedule for the Fort Erie Shuttle over near Optimist Park.

If I can work around a Greyhound schedule, it's only about $3.00 to Fort Erie, and then working out the schedule from Princess and Waterloo station.

I might be able to shave a couple hours back and forth doing it through Peace Bridge crossing.

If I manage to have a couple hours extra in Fort Erie, I can maybe take lunch in at Happy Jacks (around the corner from the bus terminal at Fort Erie).

3 bucks huh? That's not too bad.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2017 at 4:05 AM, Silly Tilley said:

Tokmakijan contract proposed to be extended another 3 years until September 30, 2020. It was due to expire at the end of September.

Report also lists improvements proposed for September as part of the 5 year plan: 

September 5, 2017:

• New route system requiring 3 buses to be in operation (currently 2)
  • Route East to have 30 minute peak, 60 minute off peak service
  • Route West to have 60 minute service all day
  • New Route North providing weekday off peak service to Douglastown, Stevensville, Oakhill Forest
  • Removal of flag stop system and have designated bus stops
  • Bus Terminal located near Town Hall
  • Improvements to span of service on weekdays (5:15 am to 9:00pm) and Saturdays (6:15 am to 8:00 pm)
  • Fare increase to $3 and more fare media options

https://forterie.civicweb.net/filepro/documents/84535?preview=86738

Just noticed this article while doing a search.

https://www.niagarathisweek.com/news-story/7203474-fort-erie-council-applies-the-brakes-to-transit-plan/

Off-subject, I noticed when I was sitting over the border at Black Rock-Riverside Transit Hub (for a connection), my TransitApp was showing the schedule for the Fort Erie bus near the Jarvis terminal.  Granted, it's not really surprising, since the actual distance was only about the distance of a mile to a mile and half.  So near, but felt so far away.

• 4 weeks later...

The decline in ridership was not due to job loss. People who have jobs don't take the bus in Fort Erie, except for low wage, part-time workers. People who don't have jobs take the bus. The reversal in ridership growth was due to a fare increase; loss of student riders because the school board expanded access for students attending high schools outside the school bus zone because the transit was expensive and inconvenient for students; poor quality and comfort of the Ford buses CanAr brought with them in 2012; and route changes were made that inconvenienced the riders. Ridership rebounded when the EZ Riders started being brought on stream and people adjusted to the new fares and route but has still not met the modest target of 56,000 established in 2012.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 9:24 PM, 97SCT said:

Good to see this happen, I'd thought that it wasn't going to go through from the articles that I've been seeing recently.

Also, kind of off subject, BUT transit related....

https://gobikebuffalo.org/news/gobike-news/article:07-28-2017-12-00am-peace-bridge-sidewalks-to-close-on-august-8/

The Peace Bridge Authority has decided to run a shuttle between Buffalo and Fort Erie for bikers and walkers during the closure of the sidewalks.

Service is free, and it's an interesting option if one wants to go over the bridge but hadn't since they didn't want to bike or walk it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎18 at 9:06 AM, map.man (Darrin) said:

New schedules for the new transit system have been posted on the Fort Erie website.  They're going to be starting a new, mobile friendly website in the near future at www.fetransit.ca.  It has yet to be started, although the page is "parked".

http://forterie.ca/pages/PublicTransitInformation

It also shows they are rebranding, hence the new transit logo on the brochure.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Noticed that the new Fort Erie Transit may not be operating as the community had hoped.

They'll be keeping the expanded service, but reverting to one-way loop bus service, instead of the bi-directional routes that they implemented.

http://fetransit.ca/fort-erie-transit-reverts-back-to-one-way-loop-transit-system/

Plans are to make changes in August of this year.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

Most likely a spare until the routes go back to one.

Was under the impression that all three routes will remain, however, will return to a one-way loop system, where the buses will operate once hourly.

=====

http://fetransit.ca/fort-erie-transit-reverts-back-to-one-way-loop-transit-system/

Fort Erie Transit Reverts Back to One-Way Loop Transit System

May 15th, 2018

MEDIA RELEASE (May 15, 2018) On October 2, 2017, the Town of Fort Erie launched an enhanced transit system with the assistance of a newly formed Transit Advisory Committee (TAC). TAC met regularly over the past seven months and provided feedback to Staff regarding changes that were made to the transit system. The changes included:

• Expanded routes in Fort Erie, Ridgeway and Crystal Beach
  • Additional route to Stevensville and Black Creek
  • Connections to Niagara Falls, Brock University and Niagara College
  • New main transit hub located at the Municipal Centre
  • Expanded hours from 6am to 9pm on all routes
  • New pre-paid smart cards available for purchase onboard
  • Audio and visual pre-boarding and onboard announcements of routes and stops
  • New Fort Erie Transit website (fetransit.ca), which includes real-time bus times, up-to-date transit alerts and detours, and trip planning capabilities.

Prior to making changes, multiple focus groups and a public survey were completed in order to build the framework behind new transit routes and schedules. While the changes were meant to provide greater service to a broader ridership, the new route times and schedules didn’t meet the needs of the overall ridership according to feedback received from TAC.

“The data shows that our ridership has dropped significantly over the last two quarters when compared to last year’s averages. As soon as we saw that the numbers were starting to decline, we decided to take action. The riders were quite clear with their feedback – the two-directional routes and the timing of the buses no longer worked with their schedules,” said Mayor Wayne Redekop and TAC Member.

On April 26, TAC recommended changing the bus routes from the two-way loop system back to a one-way loop system in order to put the buses back on a one-hour bus schedule. A one-way loop system is when buses run continuously in the same direction whereas a two-way loop system means buses run continuously in opposite directions. The recommendation will apply to the East, West and North routes. In addition, TAC recommended that the Town continue with the current routes (rather than go back to the old routes) with the option to modify them as needed in the future.

Changes to the transit system are expected to be finalized by August 2018. Updates will be provided onboard the bus, through social media and on www.fetransit.ca.

– 30 –

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, 97SCT said:

Fort Erie will go back to the one way loop system starting Monday. The route numbers will also change;

http://fetransit.ca/route-changes-effective-july-16-2018/

Was curious when they were going to show the changes.

I also see the numbering scheme is base 100-series like Niagara Falls and St. Catharines.  Curious if it's a precursor to a regional system.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, 97SCT said:

1940 has been leased again to Fort Erie due to a fleet shortage. Rode it on the 770 North route Saturday and it is a comfortable ride.

I wouldn't say leased. It would be the same case as Collingwood and Wasaga Beach. Sinton uses an all white bus as a back up. Because all the buses are owned by Can-ar, they are just using another piece of tgeir equiptment.