CTrain Station Renovations

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 9:30 PM, 1604 said:

Anderson in particular sounds quite ambitious

No kidding.  With the removal of the escalators and install of an elevator (probably two needed a la Tuscany), that's going to make for a very ugly climb for many people.  It's not too bad for the other stations as the height to clear a C-Train isn't anywhere near as high as the height to clear a CP Freight Train.  That's going to be really interesting to see how long the station head will be closed for.  Thankfully, like Whitehorn which also saw a complete closure of the station head building, there's other access to the platform.

Jon

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DarkKeyo said:

I've been wondering how much of the Anderson station head will be rebuilt. It's small, narrow, and at an odd angle. The stairs beside the bus loop are hard to use sometimes because of the angle...

In a lot of respects, I'm thinking it's going to be a complete gut, teardown and rebuild.  Might not be a bad idea either to better integrate the station head into something usable for the Anderson TOD project.  But I suspect it's not going to be that bad because of the budget to redo it.  After all, look at the demolition of Chinook station and what was left afterwards.  :-/

Jon

2 hours ago, Blake M said:

I was thinking whether or not they tear down the existing station head, they would install one of those diagonal elevators, can't remember what they're called exactly.

I would love to see incline elevators at Anderson!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

WOAH!  Has it been that long already for Chinook?  Wow!

It certainly hasn't felt very long! Though it's been long enough that I unfortunately only remember using the old version of that station once in 2012. And not to mention the long way it has came since then!

8755858768_5d03e5c4ce_m.jpgChinook Station by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

That being said, I remain excited to see what changes Anderson awaits, especially given the lack of renderings published (at least as far as I'm aware).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2018 at 10:53 AM, Nick B said:

It certainly hasn't felt very long! Though it's been long enough that I unfortunately only remember using the old version of that station once in 2012. And not to mention the long way it has came since then!

8755858768_5d03e5c4ce_m.jpgChinook Station by TheNicholasBlonski, on Flickr

That being said, I remain excited to see what changes Anderson awaits, especially given the lack of renderings published (at least as far as I'm aware).

Wow. I used to go through Chinook daily 2003-2005 and had not seen the new station until a couple months ago. Was a shock to be sure! The elevated skyway into the mall is a HUGE improvement too!

4 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Wow. I used to go through Chinook daily 2003-2005 and had not seen the new station until a couple months ago. Was a shock to be sure! The elevated skyway into the mall is a HUGE improvement too!

That part was funded by Cadillac Fairview

19 hours ago, LRT said:

NEW platform signage at SAIT featuring "Red Line" designation and picture of a S200 replaces the U2. Looks good! I'm sure eventually this will be applied to all stations in the system.

Only caught a brief glimpse today but it looked nice.

I'm a bit surprised they picked that station as the place to start, ACAD will have a new name soon and then the signs will be out of date. :P

3 hours ago, 1604 said:

Only caught a brief glimpse today but it looked nice.

I'm a bit surprised they picked that station as the place to start, ACAD will have a new name soon and then the signs will be out of date. :P

I guess they picked one where the renovations just happened. On that note, they just replaced half the signs elsewhere, with the other renovations. I won't get to see them for 2 more months. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some photos of various station renos taken over the past couple weeks:

SAIT

sait_1.thumb.jpg.a3c136f5cf2f9ea01c1c45d87848c92c.jpg sait_2.thumb.jpg.1caaa72622c303dfe2c026a223f494a2.jpg

University

A0xKJyE.jpg H0PscSr.jpg W6HRLEk.jpg TwuGChu.jpg

Barlow

5WoAdcz.jpg DMNTZ9I.jpg oWhBrjA.jpg

The connecting tunnels are still pretty much untouched, just some LED lights put in - the vintage ads are all still there. Station roof still looks much the same, unlike...

Zoo

xVXHhKo.jpg EpgSd7R.jpg jtReHQn.jpg ftB5Srn.jpg J6H4CHS.jpg

Different roof with some new skylight-type holes in it (you can't see directly out but they do let in natural light).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, School Bus 101 said:

A bit of a minor note, but the majority of the Brentwood Station platform received a new, non-slip floor coating this past long weekend.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I went to work that day on the red line shuttle bus (ugh!) and saw them doing that. Looks good, wonder if they're doing it to all the others too?

Remember when Brentwood had a little convenience store? That was so handy for buying passes and snacks etc. I wonder why they don't do that anymore?

Just wanted to add that with as often I see one or both of the escalators at Crowfoot out of service - which seems to be at least 2-3x a month - I have zero issues with station renovations removing them in favor of elevators. Those must be horrific to maintain.

6 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Remember when Brentwood had a little convenience store? That was so handy for buying passes and snacks etc. I wonder why they don't do that anymore?

Public Safety/security concerns, such as robberies.

4 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I'm trying to decide if robbing a convenience store on a train platform would be easier due to access to transportation, or harder  with CCTV everywhere and limited immediate escape routes.

Most of these stores were located at stations with a park and ride or bus loop at the bottom of the stairs.

CCTV is only as useful as the real time response that follows. You can track movements within the system but once they leave, unless there is a response waiting, chances are its too late.