CTrain Station Renovations

Renovations to the interior of Rundle and Marlborough stations are coming soon! Construction is scheduled to begin at Rundle in spring 2016, with Marlborough station to follow. Both stations are scheduled to be complete by the end of summer 2017.

Whats changing?

• Modifications to the station layout to improve the flow of pedestrian traffic.
  • Upgrades to building finishes to provide a cleaner, more comfortable station, such as new floor tiles, benches and wall panels.
  • Improved lighting and better use of natural light.
  • Installation of more CCTV cameras to improve safety and security.
  • Updated communication systems and new signs.
  • Upgrades to heating and ventilation systems.
Why are these stations being renovated?

Rundle and Marlborough stations are two of the busiest and oldest stations on our system. They opened in April, 1985 and are due for life cycle upgrades.

station-lower-level.jpgstation-upper-level.jpg

Blurb and renders from http://www.calgarytransit.com/StationRenovations

Looks like a fairly similar upgrade to what was done at Whitehorn although on a smaller scale (concession stand not removed, elevator not repositioned).

That reminds me, I've been meaning to mention to CT about how the pedestrian bridges at Marlborough and Bridgeland look as if they could fall down in a stiff breeze.

That said, the few times I've been in Whitehorn since the reno, it has impressed me, good to see they're doing more.

Please to god, don't ruin the 1980's design... :P I like seeing the older stations, especially with the older Arial-font signage, colors, layout and geometrical designs (outdoor and interior). I do agree though, it needs some upgrades, but they should try to keep the original design. I think it's unique to have these station designs, especially if the ones on the Southern LRT are being demolished and/or being replaced with 21st Century designs.

Please to god, don't ruin the 1980's design...[emoji14]I like seeing the older stations, especially with the older Arial-font signage, colors, layout and geometrical designs (outdoor and interior). I do agree though, it needs some upgrades, but they should try to keep the original design. I think it's unique to have these station designs, especially if the ones on the Southern LRT are being demolished and/or being replaced with 21st Century designs.

As far as I know, they have no plans to refurbish any of the south lrt stations. Chinook was an exception because it needed the space for the 4 car platform. 39th Avenue could be replaced in the future, but there are no plans for the south yet. I sorta like the old stations but renovations inside would be a nice change. It doesnt look like they will be changing the station building exterior anytime soon.

As far as I know, they have no plans to refurbish any of the south lrt stations. Chinook was an exception because it needed the space for the 4 car platform. 39th Avenue could be replaced in the future, but there are no plans for the south yet. I sorta like the old stations but renovations inside would be a nice change. It doesnt look like they will be changing the station building exterior anytime soon.

Chinook was also rebuilt partly because it was one of the most deteriorated stations in the entire system at the time.

It really isn't just about station age, it's about usage and physical condition too. 39th Avenue is extremely deteriorated, but at least it's not too busy of a station. I can see 39th Avenue being replaced, but not in some time. The "red" NE stations are both very heavily used and in very poor shape, necessitating the renovations.

There actually were some upgrades to south LRT stations mentioned in the Investing in Mobility plan, though I'm not sure what the current status is.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Documents/Planning/Investing%20in%20Mobility/investing-in-mobility.pdf - page 32

39 Avenue is looking a lot better now that the platform edge has been resurfaced. I think adding a couple small heated shelters and real-time signage would go a long way in improving the station, but I'm not sure what the long term plan is for fully rebuilding the station - anyone have more info?

They're open - is that what you're asking?

Thanks I grew up in that area but I live in sask now , does anyone have any photos , I checked the project page on the citys website but there are no current project photos .

Those ramps were steep , I remember riding my bike down them as a kid , the corkscrews at the other stations were fun to ride down as well

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but they're changing the light fixtures at Brentwood today/tomorrow - hopefully a sign they're getting ready to do a more extensive reno: http://i.imgur.com/OcTGWEk.jpg (apologies for dirty lens)

FYI, there is in fact an existing thread for general station refurbishments.

http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=12879&page=21

That other thread was started more or less after the downtown platform extentions were completed. Its old news. There will be enough activity at Rundle and Marlborough stations to allow for a new thread. Just my two cents..

• 3 weeks later...

Will this round of renos at Marlborough include track-level access? I really see no good reason not to include it - and the mall's objections, on grounds it facilitates criminals' escapes into the CTrain, are especially ludicrous.

No, it won't. Thankfully. 36th Street is enough of a mess, adding a new crosswalk and signals to match up with the crossing wouldn't be my choice. Plus, adding another level crossing that leads to CTrain v Pedestrian interactions is a horrible idea, especially with so little room for refuge.