TTC Operators: Security Incidents

ttcrecr

They are not always suicides. Some are attempts, people pushed or bumped into by others onto the tracks. Also people who are to close to the edge falling over after a medical attack

For what we were talking about it was suicides. But yes, what you mentioned can be classified as Priority 1s

easy said than done. Some will be extremely aggressive. You will get call in if the customers said you didn't address their concerns.

All you really need to do to address their concerns is observe the situation and call CIS to report it if you can't easily solve it. If you don't feel it's a safe situation, secure the bus and wait for somebody else to help (Police, Ambulance, Fire, a supervisor).

If they are whining about something that you or some other driver did to them 5 years ago, tell them that you need to concentrate to operate the vehicle and that you are sorry you couldn't help them with their concern, that perhaps customer service may be of help to them with their issue. If they insist on escalating it, secure the vehicle and call CIS, since it isn't safe to operate while engaged in a distracting argument about something.

It wasn't that bad to the point I need to call the cops. The passenger shoved a camera right up to my face. Knowing u may appear in the YouTube. I said nothing. Got called in and was told I was wrong not to say anything

That sucks, you can't do anything to stop someone harassing you with a camera. No matter what happens, that video always gets edited to make you look bad. One of these days one of those cellphone paparazzi are going to mess up and actually say something libellous about a driver and end up getting sued over it. The copy & paste media doesn't help. One person reports it, then the rest of them say "It has been reported by another media outlet that a TTC driver..."

You can't win. Damn if you do, Damn if you don't. Also you don't want to be calling the police for every little thing. I know bus drivers that get off and wait till the passenger is done.

Fortunately, I'm in subways.

You're right, you can't call the cops for every little thing.

But that doesn't mean that you have to put up with somebody distracting you. Most people want to get somewhere, and as soon as that maxi comes on they start to get irritated. It is better to get called in the office to explain why I couldn't operate because of a distraction from an irate passenger rather than having to explain why I took the mirror off on a pole. So, if you stop the vehicle at a stop and politely explain and apologize to the person that you cannot help them with their concern, and that you need to concentrate to operate the vehicle you'll probably get somebody in back telling the passenger to "let him do his job" or "leave the driver alone, I'm late for work".

In that case, the irate passenger may try and get one last jab in when they leave the bus when their stop comes up. Fill out a report, get a good description so that if they become a regular you can get them on harassment or something.

That sucks, you can't do anything to stop someone harassing you with a camera. No matter what happens, that video always gets edited to make you look bad. One of these days one of those cellphone paparazzi are going to mess up and actually say something libellous about a driver and end up getting sued over it. The copy & paste media doesn't help. One person reports it, then the rest of them say "It has been reported by another media outlet that a TTC driver..."

You're right, you can't call the cops for every little thing.

But that doesn't mean that you have to put up with somebody distracting you. Most people want to get somewhere, and as soon as that maxi comes on they start to get irritated. It is better to get called in the office to explain why I couldn't operate because of a distraction from an irate passenger rather than having to explain why I took the mirror off on a pole. So, if you stop the vehicle at a stop and politely explain and apologize to the person that you cannot help them with their concern, and that you need to concentrate to operate the vehicle you'll probably get somebody in back telling the passenger to "let him do his job" or "leave the driver alone, I'm late for work".

In that case, the irate passenger may try and get one last jab in when they leave the bus when their stop comes up. Fill out a report, get a good description so that if they become a regular you can get them on harassment or something.

well put.