Flair Air

14 minutes ago, 9924 said:

YXX is not much farther for anyone living south of the Fraser.  Canada has a tough domestic market, especially from secondary airports.  Flair already pulled out of YHM, and honestly, YHM and YXX are the only real secondary airports we have in Canada.

What about YKF. But outside of winter it only gets one flight a day to YYC

7 minutes ago, John Oke said:

What about YKF. But outside of winter it only gets one flight a day to YYC

Point I'm trying to make, is the secondary airport market in Canada is mediocre at best, and YKF with one singular daily flight kinda highlights that.  YHM has traditionally been a better situated secondary airport for the Southern Ontario area.

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread. 

The Flair Air - 737 MAX-8 entered service this week sporting a new livery. Here is one at YYC after arriving from Vancouver. With 3 already delivered and 10 more on order, these will be a common sight to airports across Canada. 

Screenshot_20210612-181505_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Flair has announced Non Stop service twice weekly on two routes from Grande Prairie Ab. To both Toronto and Vancouver, Both should prove popular as right now u need to switch planes iN Calgary or Ed to reach either place. Lots of oilfield workers live in southern Bc and a shorter way to the East too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
8 hours ago, downbeat said:

Canada's Flair Airlines cancels multiple flights after 4 planes seized over 'commercial dispute'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/flair-airlines-plane-seizures-1.6776186

Not looking good at all for them... This is starting to play out similar to the Jetsgo debacle in 2005 (did I mention that yesterday was exactly 18 years to the day since that happened?)

If they're only repoing aircraft now it means there must have been something long ongoing up to this point that isn't even being talked about publicly. There's been other aircraft reportedly being sent off elsewhere as well in full Flair paint and configuration. Time will soon tell where the airline's fate lies.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 11:26 AM, downbeat said:

Canada's Flair Airlines cancels multiple flights after 4 planes seized over 'commercial dispute'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/flair-airlines-plane-seizures-1.6776186

I got a feeling that this is the beginning of the end for Flair Airlines. The reason I say that is when other international airlines like Thomas Cook, Flybe of the United Kingdom, and WOW Air in Iceland, whenever they had financial troubles and they can't get funding, they end up going out of business.. I imagine if Flair is having problems paying its lessor for the leased planes, then their funding is low

I don't believe Flair has much longer left as a Canadian airline based on the direction their going at the moment the problems keep piling up against them.

Flair Airlines has now filed a lawsuit against their lessor's for $50 million dollars, they filed the lawsuit due to what their claiming to be unlawful seizure.

"Flair Airlines has filed a $50-million lawsuit against several plane-leasing companies over the “unlawful” seizure of four of its aircraft last weekend.

Article: https://www.cp24.com/news/flair-launches-50-million-lawsuit-against-leasing-companies-after-plane-seizures-1.6314232

The article also states according to the lessor(s) Flair has "regularly" missed payments on their planes over the last five months which is what ultimately led to the decision to seize the planes.

Ottawa Airport has also decided to cut ties with Flair Airlines' ground crews and revoke the ground handling companies license to operate there.

Articles:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/sunwing-flair-ottawa-airport-baggage-contract-1.6779457
https://yow.ca/en/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/statement-regarding-menzies-ground-handling-services

I'd like to preface my response by stating that I am in regular contact with both employees of Flair and people who have decades of experience in the aviation industry. 

Flair is not experiencing any sort of financial troubles. It may seem odd that they have missed lease payments, but it's always only been a couple of days late. It's not been due to a lack of funds but mainly paperwork issues. Most recently, when the deadline had passed, Airborne Capital demanded they pay by a certain date. Flair complied, but regardless the planes were repossessed. Normally when planes are repossessed, it is because the airline is over 6 weeks late on their payments. This was clearly not the case, and therefore the move to repossess even though Flair had paid, albeit late, is uncalled for. The timing of the repossession is also suspicious, the Friday before everyone heads to spring break vacation. There is reasonable evidence out there to prove that one of the airline giants in Canada had a hand in the pot and fixed the timing of the repossession in order to hurt Flair as much as possible. I spoke to a pilot who mentioned that Flair was able to get a really good deal on the aircraft with the lessor because it was the pandemic but that now other airlines are willing to pay full price. The lessor then pulled whatever bs reason they could find in order to release these planes to an airline offering more. 

Of course, a lot of what I am saying is hearsay, and I'm not telling you all to believe me, but I think that the claim that Flair is circling the drain is an overreaction to the events. Flair is in a very stable place, and after having flown them a couple of times over the past full weeks, their planes are full with several people also paying for the extras, meals, carry-ons, and even luggage. If finances were an issue, there would be several more red flags before planes start being repossessed.

Also, the issue with Menzies is a very separate thing. Menzies has been known for cutting corners and offering a bare-bone price because of it. They seemed to have cut a couple of too many corners. It puts Flair in a tough spot for handling at YOW, but with only 5 flights a day, they won't have much trouble finding someone else.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 6:18 PM, Oc4526 said:

Every Airline in Canada owes money to someone, its just CRA protecting their interests even though Flair has made payment arrangements the CRA has to cover themselves just in case they do not just like banks cover themselves with loans.

7 hours ago, ORION said:

I saw a flair branded plane departing Toronto Pearson Airport this afternoon.

One usually expects to see a specific airline at a destination they serve.

• Like 1