Edmonton and Area spotting and news

t_harris01

Nice find sir!

I'll add that #7199 is most likely not the last unit in the current order... based on previous tender documents, not counting this new information about an additional 46 buses of course, we should be recieving up to #7201.

On August 15, 2020 at 12:38 PM, Nick B said:

Actually it's not.

This just in:

There's a reasonable chance that New Flyer's press release is just referencing the 2020 component of the current order being delivered which includes 2019 and 2020 funding. Perhaps even as a response to the large amount of Proterra/ ETS press in the last few weeks. 

On August 15, 2020 at 9:15 AM, Catherine Wilkins said:

BRAKING NEWS ...

ETS 7199 has arrived in Edmonton today. 

This should be the last diesel bus purchased according to anonymous sources.

Real sources are better than anonymous sources. 

Any future electric bus purchases will most likely need funding from other levels of government. 

Given that the October 2019 Provincial budget removed provincial funding for a portion of the Proterra order and Edmonton had to redirect future bus purchase funds to cover the shortfall, that's not a high hope there. 

Federal, hopefully. 

City funded entirely? I suspect that will be tougher due to Covid. And even without Covid affecting budgets, more or less doubling the cost of a bus when a 40' diesel could do the same job might not fly well with taxpayers. Sure, they could buy less buses, but get them as electrics, for the same money, but then your fleet isn't being replaced.

I believe Proterra offers an option to lease the batteries, which causes the base cost to be similar to a diesel bus. The theory is that the fuel savings from the electric bus pays for the battery lease. Definitely a compelling option.

I'm pretty certain we will see additional orders of diesel buses. Indeed, the 46 could actually be that next order. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. Rumor is a lot of retirements. Covid... Network Redesign that some just might not want to deal with... 

TransEd might well be looking to poach people from ETS too, assuming that they don't end up integrating their need for operators with ETS somehow.

I had heard 125 originally, I was kind of shocked when the posting came out for 325. 

• Like 2

All of the new XD's are now in service with the exception of #7188. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the one that gets held back a month or two for warranty purposes like 4966-67, 7109 etc. Then again, now that I mention it I'm sure it will turn up in service tomorrow lol.

This should now be up-to-date regarding retirements etc.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Edmonton_Transit_Service#Active_Bus_fleet

I count 15 active 2001's and 6 retired 2002's, however as we saw with 4288 abruptly returning last week there could still be a few more that materialize in the near future.

Seeing as we now have 90-ish new XD's on the road, artics & vicinity's covering more runs, and a handful of Covid service reductions, it should be safe to say the 2000's are not coming back.

Alrighty then. Confirmed, 46 XD's out of 2019 budget, 46 out of 2020 budget (New Flyer's announcement), all delivered (46+46=92). Due to ACT funding cut, funding for 54 buses between 2021 and 2022 budget was reallocated to the 19 Proterra's that were ACT funded, so, net difference of -35 future (diesel) purchases. It would be swell if they could arrange an electric bus purchase, but, that seems doubtful at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2021 order is already in New Flyer's queue given the late 2019 start to delivery of the 92 buses just received, and early 2018 for the prior order. ETS has had a number of orders late/ early in the year previously as well. That timing would be good too for a new order of buses to provide insurance against any possible issues of needing to provide a fleet to cover the SELRT under the new network redesign. Just retain some buses that would have been slated to be retired until the SELRT is up and running

Nothing on the 10 Proterra's that would have been tied to Terwillegar expansion under ACT. Suspect those are dead. Originally, the electric bus purchase showed being "growth buses" rather than replacement. With the ACT cuts, at least a portion of them are replacement buses, and frankly, because of the cut to diesel buses to fund the 19 electric buses, that pretty much makes the entire Proterra fleet replacement buses now. That means the only growth buses end up being 12 artics ( with the other 23 being 13 replacement buses, 10 for Heritage Valley P&R... whenever that opens). 

How many buses for 2021? The plan (dated plan mind you) as of 2013 was 69 units. Minus 17 or so... 52 or so units... which is just enough to cover the 2003's. Of course, there's a few 2002's to kill off (and a few killed off 2003's) so give or take just enough to kill anything older than 2003 other than a few 2003's... depending upon SELRT needs and overall needs due to network redesign.

ETS is selling 50 surplus driver shields to St. Albert transit for their fleet. I guess ETS had enough surplus, and ETS has got a better price from the volume purchases than St. Albert could get direct. 

On 9/7/2020 at 8:35 AM, T6H-5307N said:

All of the new XD's are now in service with the exception of #7188. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being the one that gets held back a month or two for warranty purposes like 4966-67, 7109 etc. Then again, now that I mention it I'm sure it will turn up in service tomorrow lol.

7188 in service today... called it hehehe.

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Catherine Wilkins said:

Looks pretty good.  What I can see, all 4332 needs is some tender loving care from The Richard Paterson Garage.

https://twitter.com/GlobalBeck/status/1321569724552024064/photo/1

I had a collision driving 4332 back in 2015, I got rear ended. Small dent to the bus and damage to the car. 

1 hour ago, Catherine Wilkins said:

Looks pretty good.  What I can see, all 4332 needs is some tender loving care from The Richard Paterson Garage.

Yes but why would they bother on an 18 year old bus that is probably due for retirement next year? :P

5 hours ago, Catherine Wilkins said:

It's what you can't see that's more concerning, like all of the wiring that has melted which would need to be redone. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

It's what you can't see that's more concerning, like all of the wiring that has melted which would need to be redone. 

I'd imagine ETS not even bothering and retiring the bus. I'd imagine the rest of the 4200s and early 4300s up for retirement next year anyway

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Oh my goodness, I would never risk my safety or my job to do something as stupid as that. We had a similar incident here the other day though it wasn't physical.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/translink-bus-driver-passenger-mask